PDA

View Full Version : Laser / Radar Detectors

Rhodie
10th May 2005, 14:44
A quick search revealed a couple of (old) threads, more on the 'woe betide' those who speed, less on equipment.

What's happening down here in deep, darkest - is that the 'officials' tasked with traffic safety dont actually give a hoot (sorry) about the unroadworthy vehicles on the road - from sideways running busses (axles and chassis totally bent), minibus taxis that break every law on the road, about hi-jackings, about vehicles with one light, no indicators etc.etc.etc. - BUT they do like to sit on their fat @sses behind bushes and under flyovers and trap anyone doing a few kph above the limit on long, straight, multiple lane carriageways.. :mad:

The fastest you ever see these cretins move is when they have to jump off their deck-chair and run into the overtaking lane on the freeway, arms waving - causing an even bigger danger to all...

So - Im'e in the market for one of them laser / radar detector thingies..!

Now - before the flaming starts - I do not make a habit of speeding, and will probably spend more on the detector than on fines, but I will derive more satisfaction by scrambling the detectors and seeing the look of confusion on the faces of the indigenous.. :E

Any suggestions..?

Cheers

R

eal401
10th May 2005, 14:59
Assuming you refer to the UK...

The main suggestion would be, don't buy anything that actively detects or jams speed cameras. The former is about to be outlawed (if not already), the latter is already illegal. At least I think it is.

Look for a GPS system e.g. Road Angel.

I haven't got one myself, but I do not have any problem with anyone who spends money on a system that provides additional warning of accident blackspots and other speed sensitive areas, therefore doubly ensuring they do not speed at such locations.

10th May 2005, 15:01
Rhodie,
I'm a bit like you. I try not to go over the limit, but occasionally...

I've got a BEL Euro550 radar/laser detector. It's brilliant. It will pick up a radar camera from about 1/2 mile away.
Don't put too much faith in the laser detectors. Generally, by the time you've been warned, you've already been caught.

They are still legal in the UK, (at the moment). There was going to be a law brought in to make them illegal, but it didn't make it through before parliment was dissolved for the general election. As yet, there hasn't been a new date set for the act to be raised.

They are now being sold fairly cheaply in the UK, as dealers don't want to be stuck with them if the law does change.
I don't know if the UK/European models work all over the world, as I believe different police forces use various frequency radars.

Jerricho
10th May 2005, 15:01
Eal, I know I've given you a bit of sitck in the past mate but

a system that provides additional warning of accident blackspots and other speed sensitive areas, therefore doubly ensuring they do not speed at such locations.

:ok: :ok:

Rhodie
10th May 2005, 15:32
Ta eal - I am in South Africa, the devices are not outlawed (yet).

The Road Angel is available here (at a price), but the problem is not so much the static traps - we can see those - it's the snivellers hiding behind the bushes...

Even with them, it's not so much about enforcing the law, but how much they can get out of you.. :mad: ie. the high denomination note lying inside your licence folder that swiftly dissapears...

R

eal401
10th May 2005, 15:52
it's the snivellers hiding behind the bushes...
I see. The rules are different in the UK, but in my area the mobile units are being increasingly "careful" in the way they are located.

But that is another discussion.

Solid Rust Twotter
10th May 2005, 16:06
Got pulled over near Lanseria and given the once over by our beloved guardians of the law. They couldn't find anything wrong with my vehicle except for one tyre which was microscopically out of limits on tread depth. The delight with which this discovery was greeted was heartwarming. After trying unsuccessfully to solicit a bribe and being met with "Just write the ticket and be done with it." I was grudgingly allowed to continue my journey.

While all this was going on minibus taxis were hurtling past us on a poorly maintained single lane road, some so crowded people were hanging out of the partially open door and sitting on others laps. Don't even go into the fact that most are not roadworthy, missing lights and indicators, worn tyres, shock absorbers bottoming out on the smallest pebble on the road and that some don't have steering wheels as a result of being stolen vehicles. The driver steers with a wrench welded to the steering column.

The point here is that if they want your money and you look like you'll be willing to part with a bribe, no detector will help you. Might avoid a few speeding fines, though......:ok:

CarltonBrowne the FO
10th May 2005, 18:54
After 19 years of a clean licence, I got 2 speeding tickets within 3 months of each other 2 summers ago.
To be honest, I don't mind the fine- it is enough to sting a little, but not so much that I am seriously hurting at the end of the month. It should be noted, however, I earn rather more than the UK average and have no dependants. I don't even mind the penalty points- another 16 months and they are deleted from my driving licence anyway.
What really bothers me is the attitude my insurance company took- that this was an opportunity to up my annual bill by about 30%. I have had 5 accidents in my now 21 years of driving- all occurred at significantly less than the speed limit. Not only that, but my most recent accident (my only one since I gave up driving sensible cars, and switched to sports cars) was one where I was rammed from behind after I had to do an emergency stop!
Think I might take eal's advice and buy one of those GPS devices...:ok:
Oh, and I switched insurers too. :p

goldfrog
10th May 2005, 19:34
I run an IPAQ PDA with TomTom Navigator on to which I have loaded the Safety Camaera database from Pocket GPS World (http://www.pocketgps.co.uk/uksafetycameras.php) . This warns of cameras tells you the speed limit and unlike Road Angel type units does directions as well.

Solid Rust Twotter
10th May 2005, 19:42
There are a few known cameras around Gauteng but the furtive skulking in bushes and unseemly waving of radar guns by the local traffic Plod is what seems to be bothering our friend. Ideally, a HARM mounted on the roof rack, but failing that, any ideas about catalogues and such? May invest in one myself if the reports are favourable.:ok:

Ian Corrigible
11th May 2005, 02:37
Rhodie,

If available in SA, I'd recommend the Passport 8500. The Valentine V1's vaunted directional pointer is a nice idea but doesn't usually perform well in tests, and therefore doesn't justify the extra dosh. I've found the 8500 to be pretty reliable, and wouldn't really ever want to rely on a battery-only system.

I/C

Rhodie
11th May 2005, 09:24
Cheers Ian C

Any idea of the manufacturers web site detail..?

The GPS units would not work here as the fixed cameras are visible, but the skulkers just move bushes when the sun gets too hot where they are, or simply change to the opposite lane when they see more traffic in either direction.. :*

SRT is bang on with his description - the great unwashed get away with murder, but if there is a whiff of bribe potential, then you become the target - and don't try to ask for 'calibration certificates' or proof of training on the equipment, as you are more likely to get arrested for 'obstructing' the gummie.

Ah, Africa... :{

Cheers

R

bear11
11th May 2005, 09:52
From personal experience, a bit of research is necessary to find out exactly what the local John Waynes are using to tag your car - there's a few different bands and gun types that can be used, so you need to be very sure what these are and that your chosen detector covers all of them. It still doesn't future-proof you against what the law may chose from now on, so don't spend a complete fortune on it as it could be out of date in time - it happened to me here, I had one (bought in the US) that was the dog's dangly bits and very reliable, then they started using a different laser gun....

The problem with mobile guns is that they've gone very cute - your detector can only see it if it's on either painting someone else's (or your own) car, so the cops have stopped playing with them and checking everyone, they just hit the ones that are obviously speeding, ie; look faster than other traffic or are overtaking, etc. So, it's usually too bloody late when the unit hops off your dashboard - he's painting you, and don't depend on your new toy on an empty road. I don't know if these things are legal in SA, but if they aren't like here in Ireland then you can find yourself in a world of Sh*te when you're found with one, especially if it blocks their signal.

As far as products are concerned, you won't get better than the following link:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/product_test/

You may have to register and give them your e mail address, but it's worth it. Their product tests are top class, and you'll note that 419s Bell 550 is their choice. You'll buy them far cheaper in the US, but be very careful what you're buying as specifications and bands covered can vary from country to country.

Man-on-the-fence
11th May 2005, 11:01
The former is about to be outlawed (if not already),

The legislation which would have done this was dropped when Bliar called the Election and is not likely to be brought forward again.

So the detectors are perfectly legal.

ORAC
11th May 2005, 11:17
Speedzones 2004 tests (http://www.speedzones.com/)