PDA

View Full Version : CPL Cross Country

DickPilot
10th May 2005, 14:09
Has anyone got any good route suggestions for a CPL 300nm cross country? I would hope to start from Shobdon using a 152.

Sky Wave
10th May 2005, 16:38
It doesn't really matter. Just go somewhere you fancy. I went from Southampton to Blackpool, then to Denham and back to Southampton.

Blackpool was nice, went up the tower, had lunch and went to theme park to go on the Big One or is it the Pepsi Max? Denham was rubbish, had a cup of tea out of a vending machine and left. The idea of going to Denham is that I took someone who used to have a PPL and he used to fly from Denham.

Anyway, just make a day out of it, rather than flying 300nm for the sake of it.

SW

Charlie Zulu
10th May 2005, 16:58
I've done many flights that probably count but am going to do another one and actually mark it in my logbook as "JAA CPL Cross Country Requirement".

Probably going to use an Arrow IV from Cardiff.

Cardiff to Caernarfon then across to Southend before flying back to Cardiff should be a nice day out. A lot longer than it needs to be but I've always promised myself a trip to Caernarfon and I know people who fly at Southend.

FlyingForFun
11th May 2005, 11:25
It's a bit like all the rest of your hour-building - doesn't really matter what you do or where you go, so long as it's challenging and good fun! :ok:

FFF
-------------

Genghis the Engineer
11th May 2005, 13:12
What's the practice these days, does it all have to be done in one day?

G

Flying Boat
11th May 2005, 13:46
I did 10 qualifying flights and elected to use Montpellier - Genoa - Rome as my qualifier.

Subject to weather you could try Le Touquet & Ostende, log 2 new countries as well as complete your 300NM.
Or fly in a staight line (landing twice), overnight & make a weekend of it, then have 2 to elect.

Whatever you decide, I would advise you to plan a flight of 350 - 400NM, then when you put in your paperwork to the CAA, there is a very safe margin of error, you don't want to do this again because the straight line distances were 299.5NM when measured in the 'official office'.

Genghis , as per last year when I got my fATPL, it has to be in one day, 300NM or more, 2 landings away from the original point of departure - doesn't matter when you did it so long as you had a PPL.
It does not have to be a triangular flight, although many operations try to convince you it does.
That is why I had so many to qualify with.

FB

FlyingForFun
11th May 2005, 14:28
FB,

Where is it written that is has to be done in one day? The last time I looked, there was no such requirment. I didn't do mine in one day, and the CAA don't seem to have had any problem issuing me a CPL or an FI rating based on that. Of course it's possible the rules have changed since then.

FFF
---------------

Farrell
11th May 2005, 15:15
"I did 10 qualifying flights and elected to use Montpellier - Genoa - Rome as my qualifier"

Now that's a lovely qualifying route.

I had to do Okeechobee, Charlotte, Pahokee and Stuart......and because it was Florida.....it all looks the same!

englishal
11th May 2005, 15:59
I did Long Beach - Laughlin - Sedona - Lake Havasu (to see the bridge) - Big Bear - Long Beach....over several days in a Seneca....

The Greaser
11th May 2005, 16:11
Oh yeah, they thought they were getting tower bridge didn't they! Bet they were overjoyed when they saw that great civil engineering feat!

Flying Boat
11th May 2005, 16:12
FFF

As far as I was aware it was always the case.

I wrote to the SRG at the CAA and asked for clarification in 2002.

They replied and confirmed it was 2 landings away from the point of origin, 300NM total, and had to be completed in one 24 hour period (1 day). It can be a straight line route.

Even the application form has one box for one date so they can find the entries in your logbook.

Obviously you were lucky & got away with it, or the old UK CPL was less strict than the JAA CPL, plus it only lasts for 5 years now.

TTFN

FB

Genghis the Engineer
11th May 2005, 16:24
There is a difference between one-day and 24 hours. From (say) midday-midday allows for a night stop, but that's over two days.

For that matter, do it in California, and one day will have two dates, since your logbook is made out in zulu time.

G

Devils advocate.

Flying Boat
11th May 2005, 16:30
If there is only one date on the application form, it must be midnight to midnight - unless you are in Australia and fill out your logbook in UTC as we all should.

God's Advocate

PS I love these threads, it always helps me to check & clarify what was a grey mist in my understanding of the Regulatory JAR Jungle.

Only the rest of it all to clarify.

FB:confused: