PDA

View Full Version : Quick BA question

egnxema
10th May 2005, 11:48
I flew AMS - LHR last Thursday BA429.

At the front was a "Cadin Services Director".

I don't work for BA - and I am just wondering what the role of the guy is. Is he the same as a Purser, is the the senior cc member on board, is he the cabin services manager? Is he a ground based office guy on board checking things every now and again?

I am not being rude - but he did spend most of the flight doing very little- he stood in the aisle, facing the cabin with his jacket on for 80% of the flight - while the rest of the crew were absolutely A1 - top class - faultless.

He did all the PA's, but he did redeem himself slightly by walking through Club Europe with a bin bag collecting the rubbish.

Any BA crew able to give me the job description of "Cabin Services Director"?

Thanks

apaddyinuk
10th May 2005, 18:17
Hiya,.,...
Well a CSD is basically the overall incharge crew member third in the chain of command (after the two pilots). Its his/her job to delegate all the crew and also be leader in the event of any problems. They are also incharge of all the paperwork that is required in the day to day operation of a flight.
Unfortunately there are a few muppets out there who see the position as a step towards retirement and tend not to do very much other than pretend to look busy and shake hands with the frequent flyers, oh, and lets not forget the all important task of handing out the GPM's to random passengers, its amazing how long that can take with some people. On longhaul aircraft like the 777 and 747 they even have there own little office and its not unusual to see them sitting there for the entire flight!!! Fortunately these muppets are few and far between and the majority of CSD's are true leaders with excellent interpersonal skills and experience and are a pleasure to work with.

sevenforeseven
10th May 2005, 18:50
Egnxema to answer your question, A CSD is a flight attendent who has "served" with BA longer than the rest of cabin attendents, he does nothing but collects a pay cheque at the end of the month for a sum of about £4500. This type of individual is the man that Robert Ayling could not put in line and his replacement "Skippy" could not also. Willie Walsh will head BA in the not too distant future and with a bit of luck rid BA of this dinasour position and get BA back to being a airline which makes money!!!!!!!!!!!

apaddyinuk
11th May 2005, 00:13
Sevenforseven...
Hate to say it to you but I have already worked under Willie once before and he didnt do a very good job removing the CSD's (Or Cabin Managers) as they were known in Aer Lingus and I seriously dounbt he will manage to rid them here in BA! Although it would make sense to get rid of them off short haul initially!

egnxema
11th May 2005, 12:22
Thanks! So my guess was right - over paid, under worked.

Get rid of 'em, I say!

:ok:

ILS26L
11th May 2005, 12:26
... or apply for the position !

BA Boi
13th May 2005, 09:37
The Cabin Service Director is the on-board manager on the day and oversees the Pursers (a supervisor-type position) who, in turn, oversee the Main Crew. Pretty simple really. :cool: .

MaximumPete
13th May 2005, 09:46
So......

They take home £4500 a month which would be about £5600 gross making an annual salary of £67200

Now that's more than a lot of captains earn!!

I sometimes wonder if I worked at the wrong end of the aircraft.

MP;)

13th May 2005, 14:06
Here we go again.

Regis Potter
13th May 2005, 19:21
"a CSD is basically the overall incharge crew member third in the chain of command (after the two pilots)."

Really? I thought BA Command chain was more like Captain, CSD then F/O. ;)

OzzieO
13th May 2005, 20:27
Don't get too excited those figures are crap.

UFGBOY
13th May 2005, 23:38
C....t standing by the door..

but on AMS-LHR-- what were you on... a B757?

exmax
14th May 2005, 00:21
I worked with a few CSD's on shorthaul and in fact they all pretty much worked in Club, they were great to work with and yes, they did WORK. They operated on all shorthaul aircraft, sometimes you would get a CSD and no purser but on the 757/767, you had one of each rank onboard.

Flying_Sarah747
14th May 2005, 06:47
I'm suprised the CSD didn't work. On an AMS I've never seen any crew memeber not work hard!! I've heard on long haul that they don't do a lot, but on short haul all the CSD's I've worked with have pulled their weight, excluding one or two notorious ones.

overstress
15th May 2005, 09:37
AMS is operated from T4 usung A321s. No of CC dependent on club load, typically there are 6 crew.

The role of CSD in shorthaul is under question.