PDA

View Full Version : RAF No.248 Course Aircrew Officer Training School

Fox3snapshot
10th May 2005, 08:37
A framed picture of this graduating course has been handed to me and I hope I can find a home for it. It is in very good condition and has the full list of graduates (RAF/RSAF/RAAF).

Any assistance in returning it to a more secure and appropriate location would be appreciated.

Regards
Foxy

:ok:

markerboy
10th May 2005, 11:32
Yeah, the back of my toilet door would be a proud place to hang it
:suspect:

foldingwings
10th May 2005, 12:26
As a graduate myself of 251 Cse at AOTS in 1969, I suspect that those in the Grad Photo have most likely now retired from the RAF. Hopefully some will subscribe to PPRuNe and claim your prize.

However, when I arrived at Church Fenton, 248 Cse were present to "mentor" the junior intake in the ways of drinking in the RAF (at least, I think that was how they translated their TORs). You have in your possession a picture of a Red Course Graduation with DS (all aircrew) like Pete West, Ivan Hughes and Al Hooper upon it; Dave Hurley (ex AD man) was my student mentor (see above) and a fine drinker and tutor in the art he was too.

The Aircrew Officer Training School was formed in 1968 when RAF South Cerney closed as No 1 Initial Training School (officers for the use of) and before aircrew officer training was amalgamated with the ground pounders at Henlow in 1970 (for those on a DEC).

A short-lived but halcyon existence where aircrew were very firmly indoctrinated & presented with a post WW2 character-building mould upon which to form their future careers! I recall well the Red Course post-Grad Dining In Night game where the DS challenged the students to scale the 18 ft wall in the No2 Mess Ante-room. Few (of the cadets) succeeded without falling off and those who did, reaching out with their fingertips to touch the ceiling, almost invariably smashed a piece of the new G-Plan furniture that had been placed below to "break their fall", only to hear the Sqn CO bellowing - bloody good, bloody good, just what we expect from aircrew!

Wouldn't happen today, alas!

Sorry, but I have lost contact with Dave Hurley since he retired and can offer no assistance to help you dispose of the photo. However, perhaps my tale will jog the memories of others.

Fox3snapshot
10th May 2005, 14:55
Thanks for that, appreciate it.

:ok:

markerboy

Thank you for your constructive input...

:hmm: