PDA

View Full Version : Fines

Tonic Please
9th May 2005, 22:52
Yes, I got a fine. I live in Rouen, France. Been here about 3 weeks. Travel with the other half on the metro about 5 days a week, various destinations and back. Infact, once, as I like to travel and get out a little, I went right to the end og the line! I came back off course.

Anyhow, today comes. 6 stops are required. Thats about 10 minutes for this metro. Stop 2, the ticket guys get on. This thing is only two quite long coaches with a twisty bit in the middle for bends. Never happened before.

Which ppruner is in front of the door they enter? Oui... Moi. :rolleyes:

*french man utters some stuff*. I say, having understood what he said, 'je ne comprend pas, je suis anglais, désolé'. Girlfriend is french, and handles following conversation. Turns out he wants to fine me 37.70€ payable within two days. Best not tell him I have had about 40 other free journeys eh?

Anyway..after looking at ticket, noticed he spelt my first and last name wrong. Now to me, thats not me. Im not David Benet, I'm Daniel Bennett. I did sign it with an unintelligeible equivelant to my normal signiture.

Anyway...being in France, and feeling like causing a bit of an uproar, its off to the headquaters place tomorrow displayed on the reverseof said ticket to getit voided. Will take my passport along, beef up my 'lack of french' to cause more distress, and 'attempt' to say that it isnt me, I refuse to pay.

I can comfortably afford the 25pound fee, but I fancy a bit of 'ruckers', so to speak...a bit of 'you only live once so screw you' to the french.

Thought it would be an interesting little thready to start here so post away!

Me.

Lon More
9th May 2005, 23:13
So to which prison do you want the food parcels sent?

Jerricho
9th May 2005, 23:16
I hear St Helena is a nice place to go into exile.

Tonic Please
9th May 2005, 23:16
:ouch: :sad: I'll tell you upon sentencing

Davaar
9th May 2005, 23:24
Change the location just a bit and I think Tom T Hall has a song about it: "Hot polony, eggs and gravy".

Tonic Please
9th May 2005, 23:26
Don't think I'm not paying it people. I'm just not accepting it up front, thats all. The guy didnt't even hear my name right so it isn't actually me. :ouch:

Onan the Clumsy
10th May 2005, 01:11
So what you're saying then is that they run the metro on an honour system...

...but you don't have any :*

5minMax
10th May 2005, 05:52
Starting a legalistic argument with a French magistrate .... priceless.

You may get a new doo - a Bonaparte - in the process.

cyclicmicky
10th May 2005, 06:49
Don't think I'm not paying it people
Don't think the majistrate is really putting you in a state hotel for a while either!!
Silly boy!!
:}

lasernigel
10th May 2005, 06:57
Remember that great film Papillion??Does France still have penal colonies??:uhoh: :uhoh:

DishMan
10th May 2005, 07:36
So you finally made it to Rouen Tonic!

You're more likely to get "What - you tried to con the Ticket Inspector by giving false information and messing up your signature???"
"OK That'll be an extra €100 for fraud + €50 'cos you were dumb enough to come here and get caught - again"

Either don't do anything and hope you leave France before they ever get to you and you never want to return.
OR
Pay and make sure next time you pay your way!! Public transport in France is cheaper than the UK by a LOOOONG way!!

Oh and yes they will catch up with you.
I boarded a flight once and a chap in our group had to surrender his driving licence and Carte d'identité to the Frontier Police to be collected when he returned in 48hrs and paid his outstanding parking fines!

eal401
10th May 2005, 07:37
I can comfortably afford the 25pound fee
But you didn't pay the ticket to start with?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Maude Charlee
10th May 2005, 07:44
If you're relying on the French being thrown by mere technicalities then you haven't got a hope. You're nothing more than a thieving scumbag, and I hope the Frogs give you what you deserve.

BillHicksRules
10th May 2005, 07:51
Tonic,

Methinks this thread is not going the way you imagined it would.

:) :) :)

Cheers

BHR

Helli-Gurl
10th May 2005, 08:14
Do they have internet access in " Le Bastille"? !

;)

Tonic Please
10th May 2005, 11:41
It's not going the way I'd like, but going the way I expected. The reason for not litle ticket at 1.30€ is that having used it literally more than 40 times, and my girlfriend here also not always getting a ticket, and having never ever seen a ticket person, it was just another journey. I'm not the only one who just walks on either.

I did not give the information. He was communicating with my gf, so they did not understand her..I just watched the scenery go by (the metro isnt always underground).. My signature was just a lazy attempt at it, not 'false'. I noticed the name not being correct when we got off and I read it; instantly saying 'thats not me!..'

Anyway I'm off there soon. Never been involved in fines and being told off by police before..I am not that kind of person, but this first time I thought I'd not go down easily considering it isn't even me :*

Anyway, it gives me a reason to get some money out the bank, I needed to do that anyway.

Regards

(and I resent the mark about a thieving scumbag. I'm actually quite successful for 20 years old..this is just a one of event, so please don't go judging me on this single situation) :(

lexxity
10th May 2005, 11:48
Leave Tonic alone, he's a englishman in france, it does weird things to yer average english bloke does being in france;)

ps Tonic, if yer not english just play along and they'll leave you alone then.

Heatseeker
10th May 2005, 11:57
Lotsa luck Tonic - but I bet you don't look good in chains

H

Flip Flop Flyer
10th May 2005, 12:04
Dear Tonic,

You've taken residence abroad, even got a local girl friend, yet has not bothered to learn the language. You've cheated your way onto a public transport system, and got busted in the process. Due to your poor understanding of the local language the Police Officer misunderstood you, as you had to rely on your girl friend for communications.

You then have the audacity to claim "it's not even me" when you admit to breaking the rules and got busted in the process. Not only once, but you have broken the rules a good 40-odd times by your own admission.

Be a man will you? Go pay the fine and proceed with your life, and stop trying to think you can beat the system. Cheating is clever, getting busted is stupid. You were stupid, time to put a lid on it and avert any further embarresment to yourself.

Tonic Please
10th May 2005, 12:09
FFF. I can speak the language pretty well..I'm a progressing intermediate level. The initial thing he muttered I did not understand so he went straight to the gf nd proceeded to mumble with her. I really didn't hear what they were saying.

Guys, I will pay the fine. I wonder how manyothers on that metro got off (both the fine and the metro when they saw the guys!) Infact, they both stood by us, the other didnt go to check others :*

Anyway, off to get money, buy ticket, and pay fine.

Dan.

AirYard
10th May 2005, 13:11
after living in france for quite some time, I would advise paying it!

The police and french admin people are really a great help with foreigners, if you just try and speak the language........

If however you come in, all guns blazing, you may get a rather larger fine plus admin costs (it hurts, trust me).

On the other hand, I would play the ultimate trump card, that never fails once in froggy land.

Walk in, look sheepish, and re-peat, I am very desolee, I am a silly Roast beef, in your lovely country and I did not understand.

Never fails:P.....except me it was haggis ;)

Enjoy the rest of the stay though:D

slam_dunk
10th May 2005, 13:33
http://www.metaphor.dk/guillotine/Pages/Guillot.html

Tonic Please
10th May 2005, 14:15
Paid.

I am a believer in fate. I paid the ticket, got back to the metro station, and bought a ticket. Nobody on metro. Realise I am going the wrong way. Get off at next stop, cross to other side, and wait for train, thinking...'screw this, all these bloody tickets and no metro people'. Thought lasts about 2 seconds, and I reluctantly buy a ticket. Metro arrives, I walk on, straight into site of a polieman, and a tram with about 6 ticket inspectors.

Sigh of relief.

CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT???????

:yuk: :}