PDA

View Full Version : A few questions...

xHiTandRUN
9th May 2005, 22:22
Well basically I have a few questions. I want to become a pilot and I need some advice. I was wondering the following:
- Would you recommend getting a atpl or a cpl?
- Where did you train? Do you recommend going to a training academy or the military?
- How long did it take you to get your liscense and do you have a cpl or atpl?
- Is it really worth it?
This might be a stupid question, but do you have to get a ppl first before you can get a cpl or atpl? Thanks in advance for anyone that can help :D

VisaGeeza
9th May 2005, 23:47
This tends to be a bulletin board for British pilots. If you take the time and use the "search" function, you will find a wealth of information already written. Essentially, a CPL is a licence which is required before you can be paid to fly as a crop sprayer, flight instructor etc. an ATPL is a licence that is needed before you can fly commercial airlines with fare paying passengers. and Yes, a PPL is something that one gets as a first step towards a CPL and ATPL but it's a long road!!! Obviously the Military is the cheap option otherwise you have to pay for your own training and is it worth it? depends how much you want it!

Solid Rust Twotter
10th May 2005, 05:57
Is it worth it?

If you need to ask that question, probably not...

Pete Begley
10th May 2005, 07:51
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I beleieve you can fly passengers with a CPL but only single pilot ops, single or multi engined.

To fly Multi crew (2 pilots) requires an ATPL.

I would normally always recommend an ATPL licence over a straight CPL because the main difference is just going to be the Ground School exams (the cheapest bit), and some MCC (Multi Crew Co-operation training).

What people forget is that to convert later from CPL to ATPL you've got to take all 14 exams AGAIN!! (with the possible exception of the comms exams).

jb5000
10th May 2005, 08:32
What people forget is that to convert later from CPL to ATPL you've got to take all 14 exams AGAIN!! (with the possible exception of the comms exams).

Do you mean converting a fATPL to a full one requires the retaking of all of the exams? (As well as the 1500 hrs requirement etc.)

I think the difference between CPL and ATPL is technically the weight of the aircraft you are flying (off the top of my head 5,700kg but I may be wrong). I have heard of people flying multi pilot ops in what would normally be single pilot aeroplanes, but I doubt that this is officially multi-crew.

African Drunk
10th May 2005, 08:32
Can fly passengers in 757 etc as a co pilot with CPL but you require an ATPL to captain 757 etc.

A CPL can command a/c under 12,500lbs this includes the king air, citation 1+2. All jet a/c must be flown multi crew for public transport but a/c under that weight the captain can be a CPL.
If ops manual or CAA regulations require multi crew this can count towards 500hrs multi crew requirement.

2Donkeys
10th May 2005, 09:02
All interesting stuff, but perhaps not relevant, and certainly not correct from the point of view of a Wannabe sitting in Wisconsin.

In the US, your CP is not the ticket to any kind of paid flying career unless instructing/paradropping/etc floats your boat.

You cannot get an ATP in the US until you have 1500 hours (there is no US Frozen ATPL), so what most do is to progress through their CPL, a year or three's instructing, and then sit their ATPL exam and flight test (Yes there's an ATPL flight test in the US)

With your ATPL you now have the right to command an aircraft in Part 135 or Part 121 service, and you start to look half-employable. Turbine time adds to that employability.

To answer your question in brief, if you are going to train under the US system, you don't get a choice. You'll do your CPL first, then your ATPL once you've clocked up the hours.

2D

Dude~
12th May 2005, 08:57
'Solid Rust Twotter', what a cliche.

If someone sitting ATPL exams and well advanced in pilot training asks 'is it worth it?' then perhaps something is amiss, but a someone who is right at the start of it all asking the same question is completely differrent.

'xHiTandRUN' may well be passionate about flying, but his question may be referring to the financial burden, the effect on social/family life, the stress of it all.

Quite a considered question really.