PDA

View Full Version : Generally anti SAA?

Alitalia
9th May 2005, 22:01
I have noticed that many people are Anti SAA. (Not just on the forum but from people I meet) From what I know there are many SAA policies I personally do not agree with. 'Affirmative Racism' being one of them. Any other reasons?

PAXboy
10th May 2005, 00:41
1) When you are the dominant company in a given field - and country - you are always going to attract more comment than any other.

2) Humans tend to comment on the negative more than on the positive.

Gunship
10th May 2005, 02:16
On my way to work and in a hurry but this is self - explanatory who I will be flying with ( I pay out of my own pocket) : From Jhb to Accra ....

Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 11:07:20 +0200

Mr XXXXXXXX

Yolandi is unfortunately on leave, however herewith please find the fares as requested:

Ethiopian Airlines (Via Addis Ababa)
The rate is R8750.00 per person return. :ok:

South African Airways (Direct)
The rate is R12350.00 per person return. ( fu:mad:it !! )

The above-mentioned rates have been based on 6 months tickets ......

Beta Light
10th May 2005, 11:02
Alitalia.

As this is a pilot forum, the moment you say "S.A.A." every pilot will have a comment. The S.A.A. criticism is not aimed at the pilots at all. Most of my friends and old flying buddy's are with S.A.A. Great aviators all of them.

The following are just my personal experiences and opinion.

Biggest crit. is against the politicians that use S.A.A. for personal gain. No accountability, jobs for friend, incompitence etc, etc........the list is long. Now if it was their own money or investments most of us would not care a sh!+. But they are government subsidised with no end of this free ride in sight.

There are some very good listed companies, and privately owned airlines in S.A. that have to rely on service and value for money to make it in a tough environment while these guys drive the gravy train.

I have personally been affected twice in my career by predatory practices by S.A.A. ( read management) Dropping prices that no one can make a living, even they were making a loss on these routes, and the tax payer suffer a doulbe loss, as they keep S.A.A. afloat, and as soon as the competition go toes up they increase fares, manipulating routes etc. I understand that at this moment there are some court cases regarding S.A.A. and travel agents, don't know much about this, maybe some one else have more gaf. on this.

Most people are against Aff.Action., and many a younster have been affected by this.... this is a subject on it's own. I don't think in the big scheme of things this has had a major impact on the flight deck ( yet) as the S.A.A. captains are high standard guys who will not settle for this.

There are some very dynamic individuals in Flight Ops. and SAAPA, but due to political interferance these guys will never grow to the positions where they should be, and in the long run this is going to cost the company dearly.

In my opinion the only thing keeping them more or less in line is a very switched on pilots union in SAAPA.

Personally I would love to work with my mates, but my decision to leave was for lifestyle and reasons outside of aviation.

R.I.P. Flitestar
R.I.P. Sun Air

APR
10th May 2005, 11:20
Beta Light

That about sums it up nicely...

Solid Rust Twotter
10th May 2005, 12:34
Beta Light

Well said! Couldn't have put it any better.

Only one small disagreement....

For "government subsidised", read "taxpayer subsidised". Any money the govt p!sses away comes from the taxpayer, as we know all too well.:(

APR
10th May 2005, 13:49
SRT,

It's the same thing! Use whatever makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside! :D

Dr Know
10th May 2005, 14:40
Could not have put it better......:mad:
How long must the SA Tax payer keep on subsidizing SAA?

Solid Rust Twotter
10th May 2005, 15:08
APR

When someone says the govt subsidises something, it's not as close to home as saying you, the taxpayer, subsidise something. Some people don't see the link. Remember the fuel hikes a few months back where "govt" subsidised the price? Yeah, riiiiight.....:yuk: The media and their cronies were falling over themselves to kiss the govt's bottom without paying any attention to the reality of the situation.

The Claw
10th May 2005, 16:12
Beta Light

Well said that man ! :ok: !

james ozzie
10th May 2005, 20:44
Speaking as a one time PAX of SAA, I can only marvel at how an organisation which holds its customers in such contempt can stay in business.

My family & I stopped flying with SAA a few years ago as a result of unfair treatment over an air-miles redemption & have enjoyed lower cost higher level service from their competitors ever since. Thank you, Viljoens office, for your cavalier handling of my complaint!

They pay lip service to caring about customers and all that stuff but the reality experienced at check-ins, ticket bookings, air miles etc is far from the image they try to portray.

Within SA, BA is far superior (I do not work for them!!!)

fluffyfan
10th May 2005, 21:48
oh for f:mad: sake...................I give up, Ok you guys win, SAA is Evil, it must die.............long live Nationwide, the company that really cares for its employees, Viva Comair, :mad: hoooray 1 time...............you go guys.

APR
11th May 2005, 07:02
Relax FF,

Nothing in these forums are objective. It's all just opinions and sometimes emotional drivel!

Don't give up, otherwise this forum will become the dullest and dumbest place on the whole world wide web!

King Red
11th May 2005, 10:06
I threw my voyager card back at them literally. Every time is a different story. Fly thousands of miles and what a mission to claim them. Gave them my boarding passes as they wanted before but this time they wanted the ticket as well.

Told them they could stick voyager where the sun cant shine. Only fly with SAA cause the boss pays.

Desk staff didnt give a S**t, not very PR orientated at all. I left the office with other customers breaking out in applause.

Yebo go go voyager. (Nothing intended ha ha):yuk:

Rhodie
11th May 2005, 11:32
Fluffy - all this is not aimed at SAA aircrew...!!

I know a good few pilots at various levels at SAA and they are, without exception, the finest pilots / people I know..

However - the 'front-line' staff havn't a clue about customer relations, service, attitude or any other quality that makes the experience pleasant.

My niece arrived from the UK last week on Lufthhansa, overnight Jhb and I put her on a SAA flight to Windhoek the following day. Arrived JIA early (thankfully) to find that the ticket, paid for a week earlier had been "cancelled". An hour of frustration later (no apologies from SAA), they managed to get her on the flight - I walked her to check-in, where they refused to let her in as the flight was "full". :mad:

A few choice comments later - she was back on the flight..

So, 2 1/2 hours of being shunted around, without so much as an apology for their bugger-up did not endear me to SAA.

This is just one of many encountered with SAA - I have some horror stories from my business trips, so now, I fly BA.

If SAA get the customer service right, I will return.

Cheers

R

B Sousa
11th May 2005, 12:34
I also notice that the neverflysaa. com website is now gone. They must have settled with him as he hit them pretty hard......
And rightfully so..........

ou Trek dronkie
11th May 2005, 21:45
Alitalia,

Senta, sei Italiano/a ?

Listen man, I guess you are young and just starting out on a career in aviation - Bocca al lupo ! Vero. I mean it.

(Dit beteken hy het nou nou begin, en sê ek "Voerspoed !").

Your question is a fair one and shows you are an intelligent and caring person. What are you doing in aviation ??? ***

But, believe me, Beta light's reply is spot on, he truly does know what he is talking about. What he (she ??), as well as others, refer to, is rather the general state of things in South Africa and I do not want to elevate this thing. Except to say that many SAA pilots are a little less than happy with things in “die Moederlugdiens” (la madre delle aerolinee) and desperately want to see a general improvement. Honestly, any pilot would rather have gruntled pax behind him or her, rather than muttering mense. ‘S true as Bob.

SAA is still a fine airline, in spite of so many of the people who are “employed” by it (notice, I do not say “work for it”).

That reminds me, when I first walked through those portals in KP and asked my boss “ How many people work here ?”, he replied, after a slight pause, about 23%”. So what changed ?? Nothing to do with the colour of the skin, it's the attitude. Dis wat ek geloof.

, sê die ou Trek donner.
*** :D :D:D :D :D :D :D

BAKELA
15th May 2005, 18:38
Beta Light,

With that post they should promote you to Alpha Light!:ok: They pay lip service to caring about customers and all that stuff but the reality experienced at check-ins, ticket bookings, air miles etc is far from the image they try to portray. Exactly why SA Airlink dumped them I would reckon.:}

Fluffy, watch the blood pressure china...!:p

fluffyfan
15th May 2005, 20:23
Bakela

When I joined SAA a very wise old Captain advised us...if you want to be happy here ......"stay away from the politics".....that is what I intend, I am done arguing with the anti-SAA gang, my intent was not to champion SAA's cause, god knows they have problems, my initial intent was to point out the crap that was being spoken especially pertaining to saftey etc............so go ahead, keep on talking, from now on I watch, with a beer in my hand.............laughing;)