PDA

View Full Version : What to include in follow-up covering letters?

speedy688
9th May 2005, 21:37
I am planning on sending my CV again to a few companies that I mailed not so long back. Just wondering what content I should include in the covering letter as I didn't want to just reel off the original covering letter that I sent. What points should I cover? I presume it will be much shorter than the original full page I sent?

Any constructive advice welcome.

Thanks.

Jinkster
10th May 2005, 14:26
I presume it will be much shorter than the original full page I sent?

Sorry to say this and I stand to be corrected as I'm new to this game myself but perhaps the reader is still asleep from the last one you sent!

:)

Floppy Link
10th May 2005, 15:44
How about the following, make it sound as if you have a valid reason for writing, even though we all know it's just to keep the cv towards the top of the pile...

Please find enclosed an updated cv which I would be grateful if you would hold on your files for any future pilot vacancies.

The updates reflect the following:

Total hours now 1500
Completion of MCC course
Renewal of multi engine IR
Addition of FI rating (gyroplanes)

etc etc

I remain comitted to a career as a pilot and whiteknuckle Airlines remains my number one choice, especially if offered a base at my local airport.

I look forward to hearing from you.
Yours etc

This sort of thing worked for me 10 years ago, 9 years ago, 7 years ago and last month.

(And now I'm off, because this forum is not for experienced pilots:hmm: )

p.s. I'm leaving the airlines soon, somebody will take my 757 seat, somebody will take their Jetstream41 seat, etc etc.
If you get a job do I get a beer? :ok:

Good luck all...

scroggs
11th May 2005, 17:54
Only send a CV update if you've actually got something to update, not just because you feel a further letter might produce something the first didn't.

Floppy The thread above entitled 'This forum is not for experienced pilots' is there to point out that this is not a jobs information forum for those already in the industry; it is solely to help those trying to enter the industry. Which is what it says on the forum description on the home page, and is explained at length in the thread in question, though some prefer to take offence having read neither item. We very much welcome contributions from experienced pilots made in an effort to help the novices for whom this forum exists.

Scroggs