PDA

View Full Version : Scam e-mail

9th May 2005, 16:17
I'm selling a laptop on Ebay, (value approx £80-£100).
Below is a copy of an E-mail I've just received.

Hello, I am interested in the immediate purchase of this item and i intend paying through western bidpay,will you ship the next day after you recieve an E-mail confirmation and approval that your money has been approved,this is due to the fact that the item is urgently needed and highly requested in my store. And to tell you that i will be personally taking care of the shipping charges myself. so if you are willing to sell this item for me, kindly send me your informations; NAME; ADDRESS;(NOT POSTAL ADDRESS) ZIP CODE: PHONE NO: COUNTY: So that i can proceed to payment right away and i'm ready to pay 350pounds , if you are ready to sell this item for me ,Pls , i will be expecting a reply to this mail as soon as possible. Regards

As he wanted a quick reply, I felt I had to oblige.

Dear Sir, Please do the world a favour, and go and kill yourself.

£350 for an £80 computer!!
Please tell me that someone wouldn't be gullible enough to fall for such an obvious scam.

Daysleeper
9th May 2005, 16:41
have a look here, scamming the scammers (http://www.zug.com/pranks/powerbook/)

ps its a long story but worth it.

Evo
9th May 2005, 16:42
99% of people can see it coming, but maybe 1% are new to the internet and naive enough to believe it or just too greedy to see it. Send out that email to every low-feedback ebayer selling a computer and a few will bite - and at £350 a time he probably makes more money than me :{

Nothing new, really - "Uno sciocco e il suo denaro son presto separati", as they've been saying for the last 500 years ;) Still, always worth a heads-up

Daysleeper - that's a cracking story. There are some good 419 scam-the-scammer tales out there too.