PDA

View Full Version : Vulcan XH558 The Rebuild Begins.....

Vulcan 903
9th May 2005, 14:13
The Engineering Programme for Avro Vulcan XH558 begins.

Vulcan to the Sky Trust (VTS) and Marshall Aerospace have signed a contract which marks the start of the engineering project to return Avro Vulcan XH558 to flight.

It has taken four years for the VTS Campaign to raise sufficient funds for the Trustees to give the go ahead but this has now happened and work in the hangar at Bruntingthorpe, South Leicestershire will commence immediately. Further monies are still required as the engineering progresses to provide the 'Partnership Funding' required by the Heritage Lottery Fund and it is anticipated that the sight of the progress in the hangar will bring forth the much needed donations.

This will be the biggest heritage aircraft restoration project ever, and brings together Aerospace in the UK under the leadership of Marshall Aerospace as Prime ]Contractor and Engineering Authority. Technical support for the project is being provided by BAE SYSTEMS plc, the aircraft's Design Authority, Goodrich, Meggitt plc, Messier-Dowty ,Rolls-Royce plc, Smiths Aerospace and many other giants of the industry.

"Marshall Aerospace is delighted to have finally signed a contract for supplying Engineering Authority services in support of the Vulcan to the Sky programme, and that funding is now in place to allow the recovery programme to commence. There is now much work to be done with training, maintenance and modifications necessary to secure CAA approval to allow the Vulcan to return to the sky.

Apart from the heritage aspects of the programme and the extraordinary sight of this beautiful aircraft in flight, the long term educational benefits for students and the general public are considerable." Says Mick Milne, Marketing and Business Development Director of the Company.

"This is a truly significant day for all concerned" said Dr Robert Pleming ,Project Director of The Vulcan Operating Company, the division of The Vulcan to the Sky Trust that will manage the return to flight project at Bruntingthorpe. "This is a first, not only because the Heritage Lottery Fund made an 'exceptional' decision to award a grant of £2.73M, but also because a return-to -flight project on this scale has never been attempted before. Also the fact that it is for the benefit of the nation, makes it doubly exciting. We hope that everyone will share in the projects progress and ultimately enjoy the awesome sight that this magnificent aircraft provides in flight.

The engineering project will take a little more than a year, and will culminate in a significant aviation milestone: the Vulcan's first test flight.

The sight and sound of the mighty 111ft wingspan and the deafening roar of the four Rolls-Royce Olympus engines that enable graceful flight at 61,000ft and unequalled manoeuvrability at 500ft will be part of the story being told in the Education project that is being developed alongside the aircraft's restoration project, which will focus on taking the once secret facts of the Cold War, to the widest possible audience."

Far from looking back with this great aircraft that was built to carry the nuclear deterrent of the 50s and 60s, 'Vulcan to the Sky' looks forward to proving how significant the design and engineering of the time was, and how relevant it still is today; to inspiring and delighting new generations to seek to achieve such lasting and worthwhile goals and to understand what contributed to the way history of that time unfolded, the men and women who made it, and the influence it has on our world today.

Conan the Librarian
9th May 2005, 14:32
"Unequalled manoeuvrability at 500ft?"

err... think somebody dropped two zeros off somewhere....

Tremendous to see progress on the old girl and I raise my "Vulcan" mug of black coffee to all concerned.

treadigraph
9th May 2005, 15:09
Good luck on this, but... does the insurance dilemma facing Sally B affect XH558 in the same way? Let's hope not and I look forward to hearing BEagle's rutting dinosaur howl once more...

WebPilot
9th May 2005, 16:06
I understand BAe have sponsored the cost of insurance.

Maude Charlee
9th May 2005, 16:46
Fantastic stuff. Almost a good enough reason to have kids, just to take them to an airshow and watch their faces when the old girl does her stuff. Pure magic! :D

FJJP
9th May 2005, 17:32
Err... Conan, I don't think so. The ac was exceptionally maneouvrable at 300 feet, never mind 500. Red Flag performance mightily impressed our American cousins, who had a hard time getting a bead on the old girl hacking and racking about in the weeds...

BEagle
9th May 2005, 19:39
During Giant Voice 1979, we had a 'fighter box' in which we would be intercepted by F-106s. A bit tricky to defeat, given the width of the permitted route. Anyway, our AEO detected an F-106 having a sniff, so we eased over to the edge of the route and sneaked down as low as we thought we could get away with, waited until he got close, then pulled up hard into him with about 90 deg of bank and a lot of power, reversing back onto track as he broke upwards in surprise. It would be fair to say that it put him off his aim, no-one else had done that....and we scored well for that event!

Had the great privilege of taxying XM655 a week or so ago. We only went up to 80% on symmetric pairs of engines, so no rutting dinosaur howl, but the sound and smell brought back a lot of memories!

Conan the Librarian
9th May 2005, 22:51
As ever, more than happy to eat my words, but I did talk in the mists of time to two old Vulcan guys who went all misty eyed when they told me how manouverable the Vulcan was at altitude, due to the low wing loading.

After having been lucky enough to see God knows how many shows with the old dear, including a very early memory (1st show ever, I think - and that memory will live with me for ever) of a display at Tern Hill no less, by a white anti flash example. Still remember holding onto a fence which was shaking like Ozzy Osbourne... I can't wait to see and hear her again.

By the way, while I am here - that sound! When the Vulcan is rutting, nothing else can ever sound quite like it. What caused it? I remember reading that it was found mainly on the 300 series A/C and that it was caused by resonance in the intake. Can anyone enlighten me further? (or send me to a vid or sound clip)

The coffee has changed for a smallish Scotch now, but I raise my vessel once more and wish those involved with the project every success.

thanks all!

Dop
10th May 2005, 15:42
This is so cool! Fingers crossed that everything will go fine and we'll get to see her fly at shows next year.

One of my abiding childhood memories is sitting on the beach at Bridlington when a Vulcan came over at bggr-all feet blotting out the sun. I swear I could read the writing stencilled on the underside!
Then it headed out to see, practically leaving a wake!

FJJP
10th May 2005, 18:00
The TR1 (U2) made an identical sound on take-off when it used full power.

Did a double take at Alconbury and another airfield in sunnier climes when I heard the noise - expected a Vulcan to rise majestically t'wards the heavens, but was shocked to see a TR1 hurtle skywards like a cork out of a champagne bottle!