PDA

View Full Version : Jetstar just announced flying trans-tas!

1279shp
9th May 2005, 00:39
From the Aus Financial Review this morn.

"Qantas will start using its discount airline Jetstar to fly to New Zealand and some Asian destinations by September as part of the national carrier's plans to slash costs amid rising oil prices and intense competition."

Will they call it 'Jetstar Kiwi'?
What about Jetconnect's Qantas brand ditch hopper? No more, only NZ internal?

NZ skies are soon to be over-run by bloody Airbus'!!!:{

Captain Can't
9th May 2005, 00:44
... but aren't your skies already over-run by airbuses? ANZ ones? :hmm:

1279shp
9th May 2005, 00:49
Air NZ is leaving them white and flicking them off to Euro operators desperate for them. At a price no doubt. Two so far.(?)

SJ crews that have been trained on the Frog are being used by 'mother' to fly the Pacific Waved ones while SJ awaits its ugly ducklings.

The Bunglerat
9th May 2005, 01:55
Trans-Tasman routes may be one thing, but who would want to spend around 10 hours couped up in an A320 "mini"bus?!? Not to mention the fact they don't have the range to fly such routes anyway!

Or can we expect some A330's to be repainted in a certain silver and orange colour scheme?...

DirectAnywhere
9th May 2005, 02:28
"Asian destinations" refers only to Bali - at this stage - if you read further on in the article.

Don't know much about the bus but didn't Ansett use them to operate MEL-BLI at one stage?? I know they used the 767 but I've got an idea the bus used to go there as well.

Looks like even Australian is now too expensive as far as the parent company is concerned to operate Australia-BLI.

Buster Hyman
9th May 2005, 02:58
If by BLI you mean DPS, then no, AN only ever operated the 767 on the MEL-DPS route. The A320's did PER-DPS & 737's did DRW-DPS...if memory serves.

The A320 couldn't even operate SYD-PER in AN form...until someones mate stepped in & rectified the situation...Kaptin M knows who I mean!:hmm:

sport
9th May 2005, 03:57
Or can we expect some A330's to be repainted in a certain silver and orange colour scheme?...

More like silver wanted be many orange aircraft around by the end of the year.

Looks like even Australian is now too expensive as far as the parent company is concerned

I think you are getting closer to the truth now.

DirectAnywhere
9th May 2005, 04:08
Yeah, sorry meant DPS. Confused it with the VOR 'cos we don't go there any more!:{

Machinegun Fellatio
9th May 2005, 05:12
Is AO on the skids?Will the hammer fall?

jokeStar
9th May 2005, 06:04
In regard to Tasman, Jetconnect apparently will get a couple of 734's from big brother, painted up in JQ coulours & operate across the ditch until Jetstar get there ETOPS sorted out. Don't shoot the messenger...... :ok:

Pete Conrad
9th May 2005, 06:13
Wait for the Pacific Blue whinging.

HGW
9th May 2005, 06:24
Pete, how did I know that was what you would say. Good contribution to the debate.

go_dj
9th May 2005, 06:34
Dow Jones

Jetstar To Fly To NZ, Some Asian Cities
SYDNEY (Dow Jones)--Jetstar, the Australia discount airline operated by Qantas Airways Ltd. (QAN.AU), will start flying to New Zealand and some Asian destinations by September as part of its parent's plans to slash costs amid rising oil prices and intense competition, the Australian Financial Review reports Monday.

Jetstar will start a marketing campaign by the end of the month to improve its public perception ahead of the launch of the new services, which are expected to include Bali.

Qantas Chief Executive Geoff Dixon said cost pressures meant Qantas had to act to remain competitive. "It's going to be the way of the future," he said. "You'll get Jetstar and you'll pay for the additions that you want. There's no other option."

Dixon wouldn't comment on the length of time Qantas and Jetstar would offer parallel services on the same routes. He said he had been talking to Jetstar management about crucial improvements the airline needed to make to its image to increase customer acceptance.

distracted cockroach
9th May 2005, 06:57
Jeeze 1279shp, where do you get your info?
Maybe you're just fishing.
Don't know anything about NZ A320s going (haven't heard that one), but there are certainly not SJ crews flying the Bus for NZ.
NZ training captains training SJ crews, yes, as a contracted training organisation, but SJ crews have not taken over the operating of NZ flights.
Case of 1+1=3??

Pete Conrad
9th May 2005, 07:57
HGW, what debate? There is no debate. Go collect your taxes little man.

1279shp, AirNZ A320's not going anywhere, AirNZ crews heading Freedom's way to get commands over Freedom guys I have heard though. Anyone care to prove or disprove? distracted cockroach?

distracted cockroach
9th May 2005, 08:13
Pete,
All commands in SJ in order of Group Opportunity List (GOP) seniority (covers NZ and SJ), so most NZ guys senior to SJ F/Os for commands. Current SJ Captains will all get A320 commands.
All full time SJ pilots get A320 type ratings.
New SJ contract should be ratified this week after a long period of negotiations. Money and conditions apparently much improved.

How will the JetStar announcement affect you guys? Or do you just get different coloured planes?
DC

1279shp
9th May 2005, 08:14
>>distracted cockroach<<

Not fishing chap, made the mistake of posting a 'crew room comment'. Shud've know better.

:O

Pete Conrad
9th May 2005, 08:37
distracted cockroach, who knows? Only the higher beings know at this point in time.

Spoke to a Freedom mate the other day, they have scored a good pay rise. Good on them.

Take care

Pete

swh
9th May 2005, 09:04
Got told from some cabin crew friends that Jetstar A320 dont have slide rafts, and the didnt get trained to use them, just the standard door slides.

How could they do those trips without them ?

:rolleyes:

distracted cockroach
9th May 2005, 09:43
Umm, just guessing, but install liferafts in overhead lockers and run a course?
Can't be that difficult, surely?

HGW
9th May 2005, 10:04
Pete, predictable response. Well done. Just to let you know. I am a Manager in an airline (could be your's) and are involved in the collection of data for airports and Canberra. I am privy to ALL airline data hence knowing what PB numbers are.
On the subject being discussed, heard that AO will become JQ with all Airbus fleet (320 & 330) to combat Branson's new Pacific airline. Seems to make's sense to consolidate into the most cost effective formula. Will this threaten wages more than any other new entrant IF it happens.

Mr Seatback 2
9th May 2005, 10:33
The A320's currently only have single lane slides. They can, however, accommodate slide rafts inside the doors just like AN used to.

Cabin & Tech Crew would need to do a 2-day conversion course (approx) to cover the use of survival kits, how to use slide rafts, etc.

I heard from the rumour mill that ETOPS was scheduled for November start up...but that could all change now, couldn't it?

Pete Conrad
9th May 2005, 10:37
HGW, tell someone who cares. You aint a manager of my airline pal, you spend too much time on pprune for that.

On the topic you have mentioned re AO etc and Branson. I think you will find that Branson won't be doing ANY trans Pacific flying. SQ are the ones pushing for the Pacific, Branson will make way for a successfull SQ bid. Why would he invest the HUGE sums of money required only to be competing with SQ?

Who knows whats going to happen to wages in the big scheme of things. With your precise data collection and tabling of facts and figures to malfunction junction down in Canberra, maybe you could enlighten me and other professional pilots as to the "upsurge" in air travel thats going to mean better wages? It's all speculation.

Eastwest Loco
9th May 2005, 11:44
It may just be the way my mind works these days, but can anyone else see a stealth cross subsidisation campaign happening here to destroy everything Virgin related?

Predatory and nonsensical pricing is rife on JQ routes, along with pumping aeroplanes over non sustainable routes such as LST ADL and LST BNE.

It is not hard to get a load on board, but if the ACCC looked seriously at the pricing against DOC, there would be some eyebrows slamming upwards.

At least we are getting $10 per passenger/sector (added to fare in fees and taxes) on JQ, but I do not like their predatory nature.

It can't be good for the future of the industry as a competitive environment.

We do not need a "one airline policy" but I feel that is where we are heading if the ACCC doesnt act.

Best all

EWL

steamd
9th May 2005, 12:06
"Asian destinations by September"??
Where does Jetstar Asia fit in to this?:{

HGW
9th May 2005, 12:07
Pete, I beg to differ on the Branson plan. Reports today that Corrigan has lobbied Anderson on supporting QF's stance to not allowing SQ in just yet as VB want to put in place there trans pacific flights. He has also asked for a 12 to 18 month establishment grace period before opening it up to SQ.
My comment on wages was that if JQ set up the same wouldn't this drive wages down purely based on the scale of the operation and based on their current EBA. If there is a JQ operation there won't be better wages.
On your comments, do only pilots have time to be on pprune. EWL, I agree with your suspicions.

Buster Hyman
9th May 2005, 22:08
So Corrigan wants Government protection for DJ/VS on the Pacific run? Obviously Godfrey would've choked on his Wheeties if he had to ask for it!:rolleyes:

Barbers Pole
9th May 2005, 23:24
AirNz sold it's 10th A320 for a fat profit (airbus is p#ssed) as they didn't need it.

Remember after the QF/AirNZ alliance was turned down Ralph Norris said he would be talking to Dixon about area's they could co-operate on ( how to really put the boot into PB) & here comes Jet Star on the Tasman!

OhForSure
11th May 2005, 03:58
So when will we see JQ 330's??? I reckon AO is on the way out as JQ operates more efficiently... plus the benefits of an all Bus fleet, if JQ gets the widebodies. Will be interesting to see.

Gnadenburg
11th May 2005, 09:23
Won't that be great! Jetstar 330's.

Let me guess-

Mixed Fleet flying an easy option as the operating environment benign. This will be coupled with a flat Fleet Pay. The carrot is a small pay increase. Say a 10% pay rise in an EBA over 3 years.

Qantas widebody F/O's are now WAY more expensive than Jetstar widebody Captains.