PDA

View Full Version : Troublesome times in the regional sector it seems...

DJXL
10th Dec 2001, 20:32
Hello,

I was at Barcelona airport this morning and whilst wandering about looking for the check in desks, I was handed a leaflet by a pilot who was part of a group of crew handing out leaflets by the Air Europa check in desks. It seems there is a bit of a crisis round this part of the world in terms of regional flying, anyone got any news?

This is the leaflet translated as best I can from Spanish:

"All the crew and workers at Air Europa Express welcome you today and would like to inform you that today we will not be flying at 15,000 feet, nor at 500 km/h, nor at outside temperatures of -21C. The reason is because on the 29th October this year the company decided, in an unjust manner, to cease activity and iniciate a rapid review of all itīs staff. Air Europa Express give the following reasons for their actions:

- Economic losses in the company; when they are in fact in profit.
- Lower passenger numbers following the terrorist attacks of September 11th when, according to recent figures, passenger numbers have not decreased but increased in regional aviation.
- Crisis in the aviation sector; when the principle factor which leads to this type of crisis is the price of fuel, something that is presently below the normal price.

This has prompted not only the dismissal of all the staff, but also damage to society due to the minimal number of flights operating between the Baleares and the peninsular. As a result this has caused inconvenience to the islanders as well as the increase of ticket prices. Therefore, the loyal passengers are rewarded by having to pay more."

The leaflet then goes on to describe how the appropriate bodies are being consulted in order to save the situation. Itīs Spanish that canīt be put into English on paper very well, thatīs all.

It finished by saying "You, as a passenger, deserve to be informed. Have a nice flight."

Indeed, my flight was nice.

Anyone know anything more on this situation?? Are there any other reasons for the cutbacks other than those stated above? And also, isnīt every airline going through a dodgy time at the moment in the light of what has happened? Having said that, Iberia, Spanair, and other smaller regional airlines are operating as normal to the Baleares it seems. Hmmmmm.

Also, if anyone else got that leaflet today (assuming they were not only in Barcelona handing them out but I didnīt see any in Madrid) please add anything I may have missed out. But the above gives the arguement as stated on the leaflet.

Troublesome times eh?