PDA

View Full Version : Karcher Power Washer Problems.

Idunno
8th May 2005, 16:48
Has anyone else bought one of these gizmo's? I'm on my third now and every one of them has caused me endless grief.

The first one I bought died after 6 months. I brought it back to the shop and they replaced it. This one died after a year. I brought it back to the shop and, since the guarentee was expired, I was referred to a Karcher repair shop.
They inspected it and determined the motor was seized. I forked out nearly the full price of a new one to get it fixed. It worked for a few months and then started to seize again. It only works occasionally now and I've spent hours coaxing it into life.

Last summer I needed it but it wouldn't run. The job was pressing so I went out and bought a new one.

I just dug it out of the garage today for a bit of drain cleaning - and it wouldn't start! I spent an hour trying to get it working, finally succeeeding by taking apart the switch unit and adjusting the rather crappy contactors.

Has anyone else had similiar problems with these things? Is there something I should be doing before putting it into winter storage to keep it in working order for spring? I just use it for occasional cleaning of windows/walls, sometimes drains, and washing the car (in summer only). I store it in a weather proof place, and drain it of water before storing it. What more can I do?

Capn Notarious
8th May 2005, 17:20
I empty mine, keep it in a heavy guage custom built wood box.
It is not stored on the floor so there is air flow.
And the drain cleaning pipe is most excellent. One did blast out a mixture of chicken fat and excess soap powder.
Delightful.

scrubed
8th May 2005, 17:22
I had a similar problem with my "Hooked on Monkey-Fonics" (http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/GuidePageServlet/showid-344/epid-2459/)years ago......

pilotwolf
8th May 2005, 18:20
Only problem I ever had was the handle leaked and it was replaced without question within 3 days of conatcting them.

Its around 5 or 6 years old now.

PW

tart1
8th May 2005, 19:09
I think mine is the best thing since sliced bread!! :D

About 6 years old now and comes out at this time every year to clean up all the gunk and reach places other cleaners cannot reach. :cool:

Standard Noise
9th May 2005, 08:13
Had mine for 4 years now and the only problem I've had is teaching the wife how to use it!!!:hmm:

CBD
9th May 2005, 10:15
You can help the life of your cleaner by ensuring water to the unit and bleeding the air before you start it up. so turn the tap on and hold the trigger open until a steady stream of water comes out. (may not happen if your water (tap) pressure is low)

When first turning the unit on hold the trigger open , this helps keep a sudden rush of pressure from hitting the piston cups and valves.

Minimise the amount of time the unit is running and the trigger is not pulled this puts load on the machine and heats up the water around the valves.

Finaly when you shut the machine down hold the trigger open and then turn it off .

another problem that can occur is the water pressure is not enough to keep up with the machine and surging can occur , if this happens you may need to increase the hose size to the machine.

i hope this is of some help.

Feel free to pm me with any questions i have a lot of experience fixing / installing all types of pumps.

Cheers

IFTB
9th May 2005, 10:17
I'm not much impressed by them, it always hurts my skin and plays havok with my hairstyle.

I blame the UK :rolleyes:

airship
9th May 2005, 11:53
Was it a Karcher "professional" model? Or one of the much cheaper DIY ones? Idunno, you should know that the DIY models are not built for prolonged / continuous usage. Washing down yer average Ford Mondeo is OK, but an A380... ;)

Standard Noise
9th May 2005, 19:07
I was going to offer it to the father-in-law, to hose down his missus after they'd been out walking, then I remembered the bit about prolonged usage.:E

flowman
9th May 2005, 19:31
Mine is two years old and I have had no problems so far. I just dump it in my shed when I have finished with it give it no particular attention.
Only problem is my wife finds new creative ways of using it to clean all sorts of things that I would be quite happy to leave "unkarchered".:rolleyes:

ShyTorque
9th May 2005, 20:02
I find mine is great for washing the neighbour's cat. :E

GROUNDHOG
10th May 2005, 21:33
If youm be goin to wash jus the tractor with it once a year them DIY ones is fine but if youm be washin the yard as well youm be needin a proper job! Cleans they cows arses ansome though.

Love from Cornwall.

Farrell
11th May 2005, 06:20
"I'm on my third now and every one of them has caused me endless grief"

I would have given up after the second one mate!
Some things are just not meant to be!! :O

CBD
11th May 2005, 11:39
Do yourselves a favour and buy a spitwater!

Best cleaner by far!

will cost a bit more but last for donkeys!

Loved the one with the heater , would take paint off your car if you tuned it up too much. WHOOPS!:oh:

Solid Rust Twotter
11th May 2005, 11:55
Use a Karcher that runs on diesel in the hangar. Takes the crud off an engine in seconds, slightly less if I remember to add the degreaser liquid.:O

Never had a problem and she's been there for four years.