PDA

View Full Version : Condolence thread for those on board VH-TFU

Woomera
8th May 2005, 15:54
You may place your personal condolences and thoughts for the families of the passengers here.

We would encourage those who have already posted on the other thread to transfer it here.

We would hope that a PPRuNer/s close to the parties will pass them on.

Names released today:

28-year-old Police Constable Sally Urquhart.
Dr David Banks 55. Dr Banks was the principal scientist with quarantine authority, Biosecurity Australia and was heavily involved in protecting Australians from unwanted diseases and pests.
Pilot Brett Hotchin 40.
Co-pilot Tim Downs 21.
Mardie Bowie 30.
Fred Bowie 25.
Helena Woosup 25.
Gordan Kris 37.
Frank Billy 21.
Captain Paul Norris 34.
Rob Brady 36.
Kenneth Hurst 55; and
Arden Sonter 44.
The names of two male passengers, 35 and 46, have been withheld at request of their families.

May they Rest in Peace.

williamsf1
8th May 2005, 16:21
Woomera, can you please change the spelling of Munster's last name to Hotchin, thank you....

We will all miss him in many ways :(

poot poot

Hugh Jarse
8th May 2005, 22:12
I had the good fortune of meeting Brett many years ago when he started his flying lessons. He always impressed me with the amount of preparation he put into learning, and was a great student. As a result of this meeting, we started a friendhip that continued to strengthen over the years, and I followed his career closely.

Brett was the sort of guy who was strongly principled, and was dedicated to his friends in such a way that many of us can only envy.

One example was when our daughter, "Jarsephine" was born. Although he'd never met Mrs. Jarse, Brett turned up at the hospital at 6am with flowers and chockies, and stayed there with us for several hours. He obviously took time off work to be there, but that was the sort of guy he was...

This was but one example of the kindness he showed to me and my family. He endeared himself to my family and extended family. He was like a brother to us, and was dearly loved.

Distance made it difficult for regular catch-ups with Brett, but whenever we did, it was guaranteed to be a big occasion. He'd always turn up with gifts for the girls. "Jarsephine" was very close to, and looked forward to visits from "Uncle Hermie". She is devastated at his passing, as we all are.

Thanks for the great times Herman.

Farewell dear friend.... :(

Hatchet Harry
9th May 2005, 00:23
In my time up north any time you crossed paths with Herman you would always end up with a smile on your face.....

His enthusiasm and happiness was unbelievable..... you could not help but crack a smile even if you were having a really Sh!t day!!!

That's how I'll remember the Bloke:D :D :D

Poot Poot !!!!!

Yup
9th May 2005, 00:38
Thanks everyone for phone calls, thoughts, messages, etc. I will pass on all messages to Herman's family.

Please feel free to ring, email or send me a message to pass on.

The memorial service in Cairns will be part of the community memorial service organised by the Police on this Wednesday (11th) at 11am at St Monica's church in Abbott St, Cairns.

There will be a separate funeral or memorial service for Herman in Brisbane at a date yet to be decided.

Lindy.

SkySista
9th May 2005, 00:53
I would like to again say how very sorry I am to everyone concerned; the families of those killed, the colleagues and of course all of you on these forums who personally knew someone who was lost. I well know how you feel, and I sincerely hope we may have some factual answers soon.

SkySista :(

By chance I was sent this poem yesterday, and it seems fitting somehow.

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I searched along the changing edge
Where, sky-pierced now the cloud had broken.
I saw no bird, no blade of wing,
No other song was spoken.
I stood, my eyes turned upward still
And drank the air and breathed the light.
Then, like a hawk upon the wind,
I climbed the sky, I made the flight.

— Elizabeth J. Buchtenkirk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

RIP

Albizia
9th May 2005, 01:38
Herman,

You're going to be sadly missed by so many.
It won't be the same without our little chats each time you came and went. The thoughts of us all at work are with you and everyone touched by this tragedy.

RIP mate

Mikey

imabell
9th May 2005, 04:14
rip tim, such a young life lost.

we'll leave a chair on the balcony for you tonight.

cheers mate.

handrail
9th May 2005, 07:15
Rip Herman

It was a privilege to have know you!:(

Cocko

18-Wheeler
9th May 2005, 07:15
I don't know any of the victims but my thoughts go out to their families & friends.
And to Les & Di at Transair, a couple of the best people I ever worked with in aviation.

Bill Sherwood.

turbantime
9th May 2005, 10:29
RIP Ol' Norry,

One of life's true gentlemen.

Deepest condolences to his family, especially his wife with whom he was meant to meet on that fateful day. :(

Torres Forever
9th May 2005, 12:59
Pauly,

You are a true gentlemen and it was my pleasure to know you. I'll remember always the flying we did together and the laughs we had.

RIP mate, you're in my thoughs.

TF

Redwings
9th May 2005, 13:36
Norry,
You were a true professional and an all round great guy. Your knowledge and humour was more than what any student could ask for. It was a pleasure to have you as one of my instructors. You'll be sorely missed by all and thanks for some of the best memories from my time at flight school.

Cheers,
Paul

cool&thegang
10th May 2005, 06:10
G'day all,

Could someone please jog my memory with the munster's website address,can't for the life of me remember where to find it.

Cheers.

DoorMat
10th May 2005, 09:33
RIP Munster,

Sorry to see you go so soon. Thanks for all the good times.

Here's Munster's website info. Hope the link works

Munsters Homepage (http://www.brettis.gixxer.com)

TopperHarley
10th May 2005, 12:18
I only met herman once, but **** me it was one of the funniest nights of my life.

So sad to loose such a gift.

Dwarf
10th May 2005, 12:47
We met Hermie in the mid 90's. He is a very good friend. We shared a unit for about 12 months in Darwin.

He was always threatening to wrap our dog Minne in Gladwrap as per the movie Bad Boy Bubby! Once, he even sent Gladwrap from Cairns for us to do the job for him!

In Darwin, we have the Cas Crawl, an annual progressive beer fest along the foreshore at Nightcliff. One year, Herman decided to do the dance of the flamin' a%$eholes. After ignition, he tripped over his shorts which were at ankle height, for obvious reasons, fell down laughing and forgot that something was on fire in his rear. He got up fairly quickly when a certain lady tried to stamp out the flames with her high heeled shoes. We think Hermie was foreseeing a perforated ball bag!

Pictures exist of this, the batwings performances, and of course, there is a famous photo of Hermie disproving that he was a natural blonde!

His play on words were lots of fun. "Miss Snatchel" (Rachel). And when in pain, how he carried on, " Leg hurty, leg hurty."

Asked how old he was, 37 was always the reply. Hermie, in our hearts and in our minds, you will always be 37. We are going to miss you very much. We want you back.

Our love for always,

Rachel and Ian (and Minnie and Gus)

Pollyana
10th May 2005, 13:54
As a support worker for the Queensland State Emergency Service, as well as being a pilot myself, can I pass on the condolences of those I work with, especially the guys in the far north who are now involved with the aftermath of this terrible tragedy.
RIP, all those unlucky souls.

ITCZ
15th May 2005, 02:06
Always a big grin, unless it was replaced by the thousand yard stare when he recalled the magnificent frontage that was Michelle at Airnorth's chest.

:ok:

And "do you want to see a photo of my girlfriend?" ..... the GSXR.

Yep, hermie, she was beautiful.

You left a lot of those dim-witted-cookie-cutter-future-QF-SO's at the starting gate in the personality stakes.

A big grin, and a big heart. Gone too soon.

cunningham
15th May 2005, 11:53
The "Hermanator" was a classic bloke. He had plenty of character, bucket loads of personality and a wonderful sense of humour.

It was a pleasure to know you Herman. I'm glad I shared a beer and a laugh with you recently, and had the chance to fly with you.

Cheers mate.

fly_dragonfly
17th May 2005, 02:41
My Sincerest condolences to the families and friends who also lost loved ones in the tragic crash of May 7th...... we lost my darling brother Paul Norris. Paul's wife Fiona, the entire family and Paul's friends are totally devastated to have lost such a fabulous person...

I have no doubt that all the families are suffering enormously too.. my heart goes out to you all in this dreadful time.

For those of you who may have known Paul, there is a tribute website at http://www.paulrnorris.com please feel free to leave a message if you like, the site will also be the place to go for information on the memorial service for Paul in Sydney at a future date.

Take care and fly safely!

Woomera
21st May 2005, 19:18
I have received news that the victims have now been released to their families, and arrangements are being made for laying them to rest.

Woomera (Eastern States)

Fatter Bastard
22nd May 2005, 10:18
Does anyone know any details for bats wings (herman) funeral ? I understand it will be in Brisbane, but don't know when.

Yup
22nd May 2005, 10:55
Herman's funeral will definitely be in Brisbane and will possibly be this Friday (27th). We should have confirmation at some stage tomorrow (Monday). I will post a message on here as soon as I know.

Lindy.

Yup
23rd May 2005, 01:17
Herman's funeral is definitely on this Friday at 11am at the Ashgrove Baptist Church, Firhill St, Ashgrove (Brisbane). Afterwards at the Gap Tavern.

Hugh Jarse
23rd May 2005, 03:05
Thanks for the info Yup. We will be there....