PDA

View Full Version : Starting a Part 135 op (USA)

Flingwing207
8th May 2005, 14:34
We are researching the idea of running a Part 135 on-demand service using a Robinson R44-II (equipped as an IFR trainer) as our primary aircraft. I've been looking through the FARs, and 135.25(b) requires that the cert. holder has "exclusive use" of at least one aircraft meeting the requirements for the type of operation.

Our R44 is a leaseback ship and the owner takes it on trips occasionally. I would suppose that negates exclusive use. However, we also own a Schweizer 300CB IFR trainer which meets all the requirements. Would that fulfill the intent of 135.25(b)?

Any advice, thoughts, or nuggets of experience-based wisdom on starting a Pt 135 op are greatly appreciated!

Gordy
8th May 2005, 17:20
As far as I know ---- it would. Back in the days we ran the 135 at you know where, with an R-22 IFR trainer on lease back. I will e-mail you also.

Aloha

Flingwing207
8th May 2005, 17:41
Thanks Gordy!

(The gods of PPRuNE mandate that I can't just write those two words, they think short replies are of little value...)

tommacklin
8th May 2005, 22:03
Hi, I started a Pt 135 helicopter operation less than two years ago and 8 months ago I changed location and aircraft. During the changeover period I was given permission to use the first aircraft for any charter work I had to do whilst my newer aircraft waited for the 135 checks, unfortunately, this did not cut it with the FAA and I had a long discussion with the inspectors about this very subject.

As explained to me, "exclusive use" meant that I had to keep and operate the helicopter for the purpose of my operation, ie. I could not use the first helicopter because I was no longer its operator, even though I had access to it for charter work.

I believe your R44 situation would be accepted by the FAA provided that you had a lease agreement stating that you were leasing the aircraft for more than 6 months(???). If the aircraft owner were to have occasional access, I do not see that as a problem, provided he is not doing Pt 135 work on another certificate.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

ATPMBA
10th May 2005, 16:19
If you have a leaseback contract for the helicopter and maintain operational control ( control the scheduling, the owner schedules through you) I don't see a problem.

Send me a PM, I'm up on 135 and have worked for and done the paper work for several operators.

Flyrr100
21st Jun 2005, 12:42
One problem you might run into is the same problem Branson has had for years. A non US citizen can't own over 40% (not 100% sure of the exact number) of a US based airline. For national security reasons.

Flingwing207
21st Jun 2005, 14:12
Thanks for all the replies, gang - I've turned the task over to a more capable cohort, but I'll keep asking here! (BTW, I am a Yank through and through in case it doesn't show sufficiently.)