PDA

View Full Version : Trick Of The Mind.......?

Paracab
8th May 2005, 02:25
Did anyone see Derren Brown and his latest antics on Friday night ?

The setup is a video game in a pub based on shooting zombies which is controlled via a back room and is able to send the gamer into some sort of trance.

Punter comes along, plays, falls 'under the spell', gets carted off to a warehouse, woken up and he finds himself armed and fighting 'real' zombies (actors) and basically freaks out until Derren emerges from a side room, takes him under again, takes him back to the pub and places him in front of the game where he awakes, apparently unaware of the ordeal.

Was it real or fake....? Discuss....

Kalium Chloride
8th May 2005, 06:41
Knowing a bit about suggestion and hypnotism, I can't imagine why there'd be any need to fake it. It was simply an elaborate and well-presented demonstration of suggestibility which reinforced itself by becoming an all-encompassing experience. I'd have been more surprised if Mr Brown couldn't find someone who would have reacted the same way.

Tonic Please
8th May 2005, 11:00
That guy is pretty damn clever. His wesite is entertaining. I also went to his section of channel 4, dont know if its still there, and you can learn how to do a few mind tricks. I prefere his stuff to 'magic'. I know he can do magic but the crap he does and can do with peoples minds is pretty damn impressive...and isnt even magic!! Just skill, knowledge.

Clever man. :)

ComJam
8th May 2005, 13:14
Saw that last week. Quite disturbing that someone can have that level of control over your mind and actions.

I did find myself wondering if it had to be partly set-up, "taking control" of someone without their prior approval seems a bit dodgy and possibly borders on assault (?)

Anyone know about that?

cyclicmicky
8th May 2005, 13:23
Bet he couldn't get me............the one to who I have to worship, honour, obey etc, say's I'm mindless!!!
:E

joe2812
8th May 2005, 15:32
Assault is when you intentionally cause someone to apprehend immediate and unlawful personal violence... so not quite!

Could be occasioning ABH under S47 Offences Against The Person Act (1861 - i think?), whereby ABH is any hurt or injury calculated to interfere with the health of comfort of the victim. Also, serious psychiatric harm can amount to bodily harm for the varying degrees of assault.

Open for correction by those more in the know though!

As for the show, was rather disturbed though, the guy looked really upset given the circumstances and it was quite worrying that somebody could maybe exercise such control over others.

I'd rather be physically attacked than be manipulated pyschologically!!

Kalium Chloride
8th May 2005, 17:09
Sorry but you have me on a pet subject now. You'd have difficulty claiming assault because, although the common misconception of hypnosis is that you're under someone's "control", it's well-documented that this is not the case - all hypnosis is self-induced and no-one can be hypnotised against their will.

scrubed
8th May 2005, 17:16
yes they can. :rolleyes:

candoo
8th May 2005, 17:55
You will respond to this post on Jet Blast... blah de blah...

Suggestion is the most powerful tool against the weak willed - UK election classic - best not go there.

I know peeps who make a very good living out of this, personally I would not, but that's just me.

Kalium Chloride
8th May 2005, 18:48
yes they can

:rolleyes: