PDA

View Full Version : FAA high-tide mark

jibboo
7th May 2005, 17:34
As far as flying under FAA... Has anyone heard that if you land below the hightide mark (without undue hazard to persons or property) it is legal?

Gomer Pylot
7th May 2005, 18:04
As far as the FAA is concerned, I don't think it makes any difference about where you land. It may make a difference to the state authorities, depending on the state, because the beach may belong to the state, which may have statutes addressing what may or may not be done there. It's not likely an FAA issue, it's an issue for the local authorities, so you need to research the local laws.

jibboo
7th May 2005, 18:09
Yup
Thats some great advice, thanks and I'm sure that it's not state land. It's basically private property on the land, but no one can own land past the high-tide mark... so I guess it's public on the sand past that line.

Disguise Delimit
7th May 2005, 23:37
The most important thing about landing below the high tide mark, is to remember to only do it at LOW TIDE.

In PNG in the 70s with a Huey, had to pass a message to the chief of a tiny island, so we landed on the beach. While the Boss was away dealing with the Bospela, i pulled the starter circuit breaker.

My boss returns after a while, notes the imminent arrival of the next tide and rapidly straps in. Hits the tit, nothing happens. You should have seen how low his jaw went as he considered the possibility of submerging the aircraft.

Crewman and me rolling in our seats, reset the CB and spent the rest of the day in deep 5h1t from the boss.

NickLappos
8th May 2005, 19:08
Having made dozens of landings on the water, I can be sure it was never at precisely high tide. Go ahead, arrest me!

GLSNightPilot
9th May 2005, 00:20
In most municipalities, the local authorities don't care at all about the tide line. Landing on the beach is landing on the beach, and if it's prohibited, it's prohibited regardless of where the tide line is. In Texas, everything beyond the vegetation line belongs to the state. If you land on the beach, you're landing on state property, which may be administered by a local jurisdiction, and may be subject to criminal prosecution. The FAA has nothing at all to say about it. Just because it's public property doesn't necessarily mean you can safely land on it. Thus in the US, you have to know the laws of the state, county, and city you may be planning to land in. Be very, very careful.

vaqueroaero
9th May 2005, 05:42
Legal or not, don't let Chin catch you doing it..........!! (you're not thinking of landing at Blacks Beach are you?)