PDA

View Full Version : Military notification

Super Cecil
7th May 2005, 12:29
Any of you blokes who fly round low at times still notify the boys at Amberley? I gave up years ago when the military could only afford to fly the F111's twice a year, it seemed silly to put a fax in every night as to where I would be working the next day if there were no military flying.

Must have done it for 12 months or so and didn't recieve any notification or acknowledgement, it just seemed a waste of time. In the last 12 months or so they have started to get out and about more. Normally I just see a pointy thing go past (at varing distances) and watch the trail of Avtur off into the distance and don't hear anymore about it. The other day they rang up and said everybody else tells us where and how long they are working, why don't you? He also said he was going to ring back that night, 4 days ago and still no call. If they can't even be bothered to call, how can they expect anybody to take them seriously?

They have half the country in restricted areas and want us to fax them each and everyday as to where we will be working on the off chance they might want to go for a fly.

In the olden days the Skyhawks seemed to go faster than F111's, the Mirages flew lower and seemed faster as well. Was it just the size difference that seemed like the smaller machinery was going faster?

I believe we should take some responsability for sharing of airspace, all of us including the military..........any ideas? we could go back to full reporting, that would be a popular move :8

airag3
8th May 2005, 01:59
It always seemed to me as though the onus of notification is reversed in the case of military low level op's.

We are out there every day working over a large area in no set job sequence depending on met' conditions, job cancellations/additions and urgency.

That is all out of our control.

They know to the second, exactly where they'll be and when and at what level.

Surely it is they who should notify Ag' operators ( 24 hr pn ?) via phone/fax relevant to their area of operation.

currawong
8th May 2005, 02:06
One actually called on 126.7 a little while ago. Giving area, direction, no altitude but stated "weapons delivery profile".

As I was delivering some of my own I got back on the radio quick smart and kaked every time I saw a hawk in the distance for the next half hour.

Had wondered why the neighbours were flying a lot higher than usual....:D