PDA

View Full Version : "Comic book" movies

Jerricho
7th May 2005, 03:45
For those comic fans out there

Sitting in front of the TV at the moment, and "Blade" has just started. Now a comic I was really in to when I was younger, but got me thinking.

Over the years, there have been countless "blockbuster" productions of various comics.....I guess Superman kinda started the ball rolling. But, over the past couple of years there has been a major increase in movies being made based on comics (or in fact remakes).

I was a major 2000AD fan, and Judge Dredd was one of my all time favorites. The movie with Sly Stalone was an absolute abortion. Dick Tracy (staring Warren Beatty) was relying on Madonna in skimpy outfits. X-Men and Hellboy were average.

Any other thoughts out there about any really good comic/movie transitions. I am yet to find a really good one.

(and how may people out there are scratching their heads thinking "WTF is he on about?"

pipersfather
7th May 2005, 04:35
Sin City is a good adaption because it stays true to the source material. We've yet to see what Batman Begins takes from the Year One storyline.

Superman did get the ball rolling but it also had a hand stalling production of other films. "The quest for peace" is :mad: and it make hollywood nervous about making comic films. Tim Burton's Batman had established itself as a hit so it was safe.

In the 90s lots of comic movies were commercial failures. The Shadow comes to mine. It was a fun film but and its DVD is often displayed in the bargin bins.

Blade was a hit and allowed Marvel to finally get X-Men into production. The film was average but a success and now we have more films.

My main grudge with comic films is they only feature one set of characters. In the heros constantly seem to be bumping into (and with) one another and this allows for more variety.

If you have a broadband connection there are a few good fanfilms for download here (http://theforce.net/fanfilms/nonsw/index.asp)

Batman Deadend, World's Finest and Grayson

Some of my favourite adaptions:
Batman: Mask of Phantasm. An animated origin story

Best TV show would have to be The Flash from 1990. A commerical failure that lasted one season but highly enjoyable.

Jerricho
7th May 2005, 05:00
Ah yes, The Shadow. Mr Baldwin plays a semi-decent character, yet lacked the "charisma" displayed in the comic.

Reminds me of yet another abortion the Ozmates out there will know about, The Phantom. Billy Zane's attempt at playing the "Ghost Who Walks" is beyond words. I don't know who blame for that insult.

I'll probably cop heaps for this, but probably the best "Comic to film" adaptation I have seen is Tank Girl (Based on a comic by Jamie Hewlett and Alan Martin). The actual story should never have been made into a movie, but what was done held very true to the comic.

McAero
7th May 2005, 08:09
I thought Constantine was pretty decent. Looking forward to seeing Sin City. Can't stand the Spiderman cack.

When's Desperate Dan coming out? :p

Solid Rust Twotter
7th May 2005, 08:14
Desperate Dan? Great!:ok: When's it being released?

Can't wait to see their take on a cow pie or Dan shaving...

Konkordski
7th May 2005, 08:37
Personally I'm a bit fed up with comic book movies, they've become the new way of avoiding coming up with original ideas for the cinema. There seems to have been a bandwagon rush to film any and every 'superhero' in an effort to turn in a quick buck.

I curse the day that special effects started becoming an acceptable substitute for intelligent storytelling. :yuk:

Onan the Clumsy
7th May 2005, 13:27
WTF are you all on about?"

Jerricho
7th May 2005, 15:19
There ya go. Mate, you're as predicitable as a predictable thing wearing a t-shirt that says "I'm gonna do this next" ;)

Spodman
8th May 2005, 04:18
Phantom: Slam Evil! Complete [email protected], but I enjoyed it. Thort the bit where he jumps from a Grumman Duck onto a horse was a bit unlikely, no way could a horse gallop slow enuf for a Duck to keep up.

Flash Gordon was marvellous, particularly the rigid adherence to the laws of physics, as understood by comic book writers of the 30's.

dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, FLASH! dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, dun, etc.

Nice one Freddy.

Ascend Charlie
8th May 2005, 04:35
Yes, the Dunnunda-filmed Phantom was a load of [email protected] But the author, Lee Falk, also wrote Mandrake the Magician.

With the magic of SFX it would be possible for Mandrake to gesture hypnotically and make Lothar rise to the ceiling. But who would we cast? Who is suave enough and has a kinky enough little moustache to be Mandrake? Who is his bald, black, man-mountain Lothar? Not Mr T, that's for sure. And Princess Nailya ... sorry, Narda ... would have to be Selma Hayek or Penelope Cruz.

Plenty of other scungy movies have been made from reasonable comics. Little Effin' Annie, Flintstones, Fatty Finn (Oz comic, made truly bad by Bert Newton), Blondie, Hulk, Modesty Blaise, Popeye.

Need good basics, like Air Hawk and the Flying Doctors, Joe Palooka, Bristow. Now there's a thought - Bristow! Miss Pretty from Kleenaphone would have to be played by Angelina Jolie....:ok:

Maxflyer
8th May 2005, 07:02
I was always a fan of the Silver Surfer. Now that could be fun on celluloid.

Foyl
8th May 2005, 10:07
"The Return of Captain Invincible". :ok: If for no other reason than the wonderful rendition of "I'd love to have a beer with Farqhar". :E

Solid Rust Twotter
8th May 2005, 10:16
Spodman

I think your Grumman duck was an AgCat on floats. The Duck is a far prettier (and larger) beast.

Crap movie, though....

cyclicmicky
8th May 2005, 13:31
Was The Mask based on a comic?
Denis the Menace would be a good one, or how about Pansy Potter the Strongmans Daughter!
:E

scrubed
8th May 2005, 16:21
Comic book movies? How about "The Fat Slags"...

Or other Viz classics.

Jizz is it difficult to watch Blade and surf proon at the same time? Why don't you just let it go brother......

tubthumper
13th May 2005, 08:58
An interview with Avi Arad (www.empireonline.co.uk) of Marvel gives info about such upoming goodies as X3, Hulk 2, Spiderman 3, Punisher 2, Guildford 4 and the Birmingham 6.

OK, maybe not the last two. But it looks like there may be some good 'uns in there somewhere....

Taildragger55
13th May 2005, 09:08
Judge Dredd...mmm

I've always fancied a reluctant super hero who, at times of crisis, can turn into "Judge Mental".

When his evil nemesis attacks, he will say,

"I don't want to be judgemental, but.."

and turn into a deranged killer.

Coat, wellies, door

Jerricho
13th May 2005, 14:06
But Tub, they're bloody sequels. I hate sequels. There's only a very short list of them that are as good or better than the original.

AirYard
13th May 2005, 14:59
Am I the only one that thought the original batman was excellent ??

However I was young, and did think that Jack Nicholson was simply brilliant in it!.

"You're a nasty son of a b***h......and I'm glad you're dead!":}

But agreed about the others, completely and utter waste, mind you blade was good:p

pipersfather
13th May 2005, 15:04
I just remembered that Road to Perdition is a comic book (or graphic novel?) movie. The story is predictable but it's got good acting

Spodman
15th May 2005, 17:00
"...your Grumman duck was an AgCat on floats..." Oh poo! I think you are right.

"...Comic book movies? How about "The Fat Slags"..." There is one, I've seen it and it is brilliant. The plasticine movie that Aardman are probably no longer proud of, they certainly didn't mention it on 60 minutes.

Lines such as the following: Dave throws up chinese meal, paid for by the Slags with the promise of sex, "I'm not fookin him now, his breath'l taste of spew". Tra selects cake from a plateful, and offers one to San, busy rooting a bank manager. "Would you like a cream horn?" "Nah, I've got won up ma snatch allready."

The little green taxi that the slags root to death appears on the side of the road in one of the Wallace & Grommit movies, miraculously restored.

Even an appearance from Farmur Palmur.

SmilingKnifed
15th May 2005, 19:32
Did anyone see the recent film featuring Geri Halliwell? Even Viz said it was awful. Surely Spawn must be the worst ever comic-book movie.

pipersfather
6th Sep 2005, 14:13
Financing has been set up for ten more Marvel movies.

Source (http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=3456)

Marvel Enterprises, Inc. announced today the completion of a $525 million non-recourse debt facility which will finance Marvel's production of up to ten films based on characters from its famous stable of comic book characters, including Captain America, Nick Fury and The Avengers. Paramount, a unit of Viacom, Inc., will distribute the film slate, with the first theatrical release expected for summer 2008. This transforming arrangement gives Marvel complete creative control, the ability to build a film library and greater profit potential than it has received from films licensed to other studios. To reflect this major expansion of its Hollywood presence, Marvel will change its name to "Marvel Entertainment, Inc."

These film production activities, to be carried out by subsidiaries of Marvel Studios, Inc., will complement existing and future film projects licensed to other studios. Marvel has a strong track record of working closely on Marvel character-based films it has licensed to other studios, such as Sony Pictures, 20th Century Fox, New Line Cinema, Universal Studios, and Lions Gate Entertainment. In 2006, Marvel anticipates the release of Ghost Rider, X-Men III and Punisher II through Sony, Fox and Lions Gate, respectively.

The seven-year, $525 million facility was arranged by Merrill Lynch, Pierce, Fenner & Smith Inc. and consists of $465 million in revolving senior bank debt and $60 million in mezzanine debt. Both S&P and Moody's have given the senior bank debt an investment grade rating. In addition, Ambac Assurance Corporation has insured the senior debt, raising its rating to AAA. MVL Film Finance LLC, a special purpose, bankruptcy-remote subsidiary of Marvel, will be the borrower under the facility. That subsidiary has pledged the theatrical film rights to the ten characters included in the film slate as collateral for the borrowings. The borrowings are non-recourse to Marvel Enterprises, Inc. and its other affiliates.

Avi Arad, Chairman and CEO of Marvel Studios, commented: "The film slate financing enables us to evolve our entertainment operations into film production, an area where we have experienced past success with our partners and which offers significant profit potential for our company. The characters involved are some of the most valuable in the Marvel Universe, and we are excited to launch them as consumer brands via feature film releases under our direction. We look forward to working with Brad Grey and the exceptional team he has put together at Paramount and are confident that this will be a successful venture for us both."

Brad Grey, Chairman and CEO of Paramount Pictures, commented: "Marvel has emerged as one of the strongest, most successful entertainment brands around the globe, with an enviable track record in feature films. We are excited to be working with Marvel on this new business."

"Merrill Lynch is pleased to have worked with Marvel in structuring and arranging this innovative and unique financing," said Michael Blum, head of global structured finance at Merrill Lynch. "Obtaining a vast majority of financing at the AAA rating level backed by the intellectual property value of ten Marvel characters plus the movies created by Avi and his team is at the cutting edge of entertainment structured finance techniques."

Funds under the facility will be used for the production of films. Marvel will receive a gross participation on all revenues from the facility as the producer of each film and will retain all of the film-related merchandising revenues. These merchandising revenues and the gross participation are neither pledged as collateral nor subject to any cash restrictions under the facility. Marvel will also receive all profits, including all revenue streams (including box office receipts, DVD/VHS sales, television, and soundtrack sales) after film costs, distribution fees, marketing, principal repayment, and interest. In addition, Marvel will have the ability to build its own film library through this initiative.

Marvel's distribution agreement with Paramount guarantees distribution for 10 films and encompasses two prime release periods each year - the spring/summer and fall/holiday seasons. Paramount has guaranteed Marvel wide distribution with commensurate advertising and marketing efforts. This is a worldwide arrangement with the exception of Japan, Germany, Australia/New Zealand, Spain and France, which Marvel will sell directly.

The ten Marvel characters in the arrangement are Captain America, The Avengers, Nick Fury, Black Panther, Ant-Man, Cloak & Dagger, Dr. Strange, Hawkeye, Power Pack and Shang-Chi. Each film is expected to have a budget of up to $165 million dollars and a rating no more restrictive than PG-13. Although the financing allows for the production of animated films, Marvel currently intends to use the financing to make only live-action films.

Marvel will fund initial development including scripts for each production. Once a film is "green lit" (approved for production), the facility will reimburse Marvel for these costs. Marvel Studios will oversee the slate and has sole green light control. Unreimbursed overhead expenses and any unreimbursed development costs represent Marvel's only direct financial risk. The operating results for the film slate will be consolidated with those of Marvel and separate segment disclosure will be provided in Marvel's periodic financial reporting. However, there are restrictions on the cash generated by the films that will prevent Marvel from withdrawing any profits until after the release of the third film, and then only if financial tests are met. As is consistent with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, the costs of each film will be capitalized until theatrical release.

Relativity Media LLC assisted Marvel with the structuring of the financing.

6th Sep 2005, 14:23
Desperate Dan? Great! When's it being released?

And I nominate Hulk Hogan for the role. (if he's still into acting!)

frostbite
6th Sep 2005, 14:43
Never mind Desperate Dan, how about Dan Dare and the Mekons?

tony draper
6th Sep 2005, 15:06
Hmmm, the main dif betwixt my generation and this one is we moved on to books when we was about ten.

:E

Jerricho
6th Sep 2005, 15:43
Do you really classify Viz as a book?

;)

guccigal
7th Sep 2005, 01:02
Wasn't Halle Berry Catwoman recently too? I never saw it though.

Superhero movies are making a massive comeback. Last night i saw 3 different ads for kids movies where the children become superheros...school holidays must be iminent.

I'd really like to see Wonder Woman on the big screen. Loved her boots and matching wristbands.

AirYard - I also loved the original Batman movie, esp JN as the Joker.

pipersfather
19th Nov 2005, 13:33
Ladies and Gentlemen,

If you have broadband you may like to see the teaser for Superman Returns (http://pdl.warnerbros.com/wbmovies/supermanreturns/teaser/teaser_hi.mov)

Foss
19th Nov 2005, 15:56
Rogue Trooper would make a decent flick, war, violence, death and all that.

Or, what about Slaine, The Horned God, by er, Pat Mills and Simon Bisley I think.

Mostly though, films based on comics are absolute crap.

Fos

nosefirsteverytime
19th Nov 2005, 20:16
Just after seeing Batman Begins on DVD. It does the job for me, but then again at the movies I'm easy to please.