PDA

View Full Version : Iceland

GroundGirl
6th May 2005, 15:00
Hi all,

I am off to do a trek for charity (macmillan Cancer Relief) in Iceland in July and have a free day in Reykjavik - any one got any recommendations on what to do.

Sorry GG - links and requests for sponsorship/donations not permitted on the board. Owners' policy.
if you would like to have a look at what I am doing then click here! (http://www.macmillan.org.uk/iceland/)

Thanks to all of those who can give me suggestions.

Thanks

GG (Mez):ok:

Omaha
6th May 2005, 17:21
http://www.icetourist.is/default.asp?cat_id=30

Here's a link for you. You can register for a brochure to be sent out to you, it takes a couple of weeks.

reynoldsno1
6th May 2005, 17:31
There's a couple of really nice whale restaurants, ISTR :(

cringe
6th May 2005, 20:08
After the trek, you could spend some time relaxing in the Blue Lagoon (http://www.bluelagoon.com/) .

As for the local delicacies, rotten shark tastes better than it smells...

Viking dinner (http://www.fjorukrain.is/fjorukrain/en/fjorugardurinn_restaurant/viking_dinner/)

Flying Lawyer
6th May 2005, 20:13
Iceland's main attractions are out in the countryside. I hope I won't offend any Icelanders on the forum, but IMHO Reykjavik isn't exactly the most interesting or beautiful city in the world.

Interesting mixture of architecture. The cathedral is impressive - a modern, imposing design in concrete evoking lava flowing down a volcano. The old city is more interesting than the new, with brightly painted houses around old squares.
Reykjavik is quite small - you can walk around in a couple of hours - so, unless you're attracted by the art gallery or museum of Viking life, I'd recommend using the rest of the day to take a whale-watching trip - there's a reasonable chance of seeing some at the time you'll be there.

Traditional Icelandic food is something of an acquired taste. Lamb's testicles and rotten shark are apparantly considered delicacies. I didn't try either - I'm a fairly adventurous eater when travelling, but couldn't face the thought of one and the smell of the other. :)
Fish, not surprisingly, is readily available, but is more likely to be dried, smoked, pickled or salted than freshly caught. Whale and puffin are also available.
There's a restaurant called Jonathan Livingstone Seagull which was good, and seemed to be popular, when I was there. I was told fairly recently that it still is.

NB: My impressions are based on only a one day stop-over and refuel en route across the Atlantic so may be misleading but, if it turns out others who know it better have similar opinions about the city, consider two options:

(1) Rent a car and drive out to the attractions you didn't see on your trek.

(2) If budget allows (I don't know the cost), take a scenic flight to Greenland, or fly to Greenland and take a scenic flight there. The Greenland scenery is nothing short of spectacular. Flying over the ice-cap, along fjords, over icebergs etc is an experience I guarantee you'd never forget.
It may seem a mad suggestion but you'll be seeing a lot of Icelandic scenery on your trek - what are the chances of making a special trip to Greenland, or being so close, in the future?

acbus1
7th May 2005, 05:58
Mention Iceland and I think.....

1 - Bjork.

2 - Cold.

3 - Dark., or light......a lot.

4 - Promiscuous totty.

5 - UK shops selling frozen food.

Not in that order, necessarily.

No idea if the blokes are promiscuous (see 4), but if they are that could keep you occupied.......literally. :ok:

Just realised what I said......"No idea if the blokes are promiscuous".......are there any other sorts? :rolleyes: :}

Mac the Knife
7th May 2005, 10:30
Damned attractive women!

My only experience was inordinately fond of Ugandan discussions (and very talented) but a sample of one does not permit generalisations.

Jinkster
7th May 2005, 18:09
Good luck Groundgirl and have fun!

:D

poorwanderingwun
7th May 2005, 19:24
Reykjavik.....Aberdeen at 3 times the price.
I get to stop-over before each trans-atlantic trip...once stuck due weather...got a hire car on a 'special' rate through he GA office ....had the car for 16 hours... US$140....
expect to pay about 50 UK pounds per head at any half decent restaurant...
Each time I'm there it's raining...except for when it's snowing.
Funniest thing I ever saw was a house out in the country that had it's entire roof covered in solar panels ! I would guess that the salesman is now minister for tourism....

GroundGirl
11th May 2005, 11:53
Thanks guys! I have been given a guide book now and the blue lagoon looks promising after all that walking!!

Will let you know how I get on!

GG x

Heatseeker
11th May 2005, 12:28
Last time I was there the only thing that anybody seemed to do was drink and get motherless falling down drunk. Didn't see a sober local anywhere after 6 p.m.

Be a bit wary of horseriding too. The nags normally only go out in groups ponytrekking so if you rent 1 for an hour or so you will have to drag at least 1 other along behind you.

Got to tell you, the bloody things have got a mind of their own too.

Nags 1, Heat nil.

Heat

TURIN
11th May 2005, 17:52
19TH TO 26TH June is the Celtic Cup!

A drinking competition with a hang-gliding problem.

This year's event is in Iceland.

Can't wait.:ok:

Omaha
11th May 2005, 17:57
Ah but the geology there is something else, could savour some of their hot springs too. :ok:

BenThere
11th May 2005, 18:04
On my last visit to Reykjavik in March 2004 I made my way straight to an Irish pub, the first place itinerant pilots should visit, downtown where I mingled with fellow Harley drivers, Swedes, university students, etc. I hooked up with a travelling member of a US women's pro basketball team who was delightful in every possible way.

I had a delectable fish feast at one of only a few restaurants in the town of Keflavik, next to the airport, a wooden structure overlooking the small harbor. I ordered the slab of three fresh fish. When I asked what type of fish I would get, the stunning waitress replied, "We won't know until the fishing boat arrives at about 6:30 (we Americans want to eat dinner around six, before anyone else ventures out).

I went to the Blue Lagoon with my basketball friend, dogpaddling around the medicinal waters seeking the hot, but not too hot bubbling ooze. Noticing those around me covering their faces with muck from the lagoon bed, I scooped some up for me, but on inspection of the goo I was about to apply to my face, detected pubic hairs of unknown origin and demurred. I left the lagoon, took my shower on-site, and, having checked Blue Lagoon off my list, vowed never to return.

One of the coolest places in Iceland is the town of Akueri on the north coast. Isolated, remote, it is the home of Iceland's great brewery. It's picturesque and quaint, and has a great feel of being on the edge of the world. Nice restaurants and bars, and a choice of excellent and friendly hotels.

Heli-Ice
12th May 2005, 02:05
reynoldsno1
We don't have any whale restaurants here in Iceland even though we like whales better swimming in gravy than in the sea. We don't hunt them anymore.