PDA

View Full Version : MD11 F - Despatching

cressidom
6th May 2005, 16:03
anyone here can give me a 'crash course' in the basics of despatching a MD11F ?. Payload is 80-90 tons ?
How many pos / config ?

Any help appreciated.

Rgds

Flip Flop Flyer
9th May 2005, 10:53
Cressidom:

26 x 125/96 or 125/88 on the upperdeck. 24 twin-row positions, and 2 in the back. Can load AMJ side-by-side.
6 x 125/96 or 125/88 in the forward lower
4 x 125/88 in the centre (aft), alternatively 14 x LD3 or 7 x LD11 (or a mix thereof).

Around 80-85 tons on a bog-standard Westbound transatlantic seems to be around average, 85-90 going back East.

Can be a bit of a bitch to trim, especially at low weights. It's got a rather strange envelope, which is very narrow at lower weights. You trim for ZFW only, the onboard 'puter will **** around with the fuel for TOW and LAW. You may have 2 versions, one with and one without the tail tank. Took us a bit of effort, but finally got it sussed so now have only one version with or without tail tank. Fuel burn curve is a thing of wonder, and has proved impossible to model in our (rather fancy if I may add) W&B program. Just modelling the way the tanks are filled caused more hair loss than I care to think of.

Be very careful when loading/unloading as the beast has a tendancy to sit on its tail if you get it wrong. Very important to empty centre (aft) first, leaving forward and upper loaded. Reverse for loading; i.e. very important to load fwd lower first, then upper, then centre (aft).