PDA

View Full Version : D-Link Wireless Router (help please)

roach
6th May 2005, 10:16
I am having a problem with my D-Link DSL G604T wireless router and am wondering if anyone has come across this.
Everything works well except after a period of inactivity on-line the router looses the ADSL connection and when I try to connect I can only reboot to make the connection.
There is no ISP problem; the wireless connection to the router is not lost.
I am used to a “frog” modem and if the signal was ever lost I would click an icon to re-connect…not so on the D-Link, at least I certainly can’t find it.
Can anyone suggest a solution?

rustle
6th May 2005, 10:55
That router should reconnect if it disconnects - no need for user intervention...

Which firmware version are you on?
The latest is NDLinkUK_DSL-G604T_fs_V1.00B02T02.UK.20041126

Kernel update is NDLinkUK_DSL-G604T_kernel_V1.00B02T02.UK.20041126

Available as downloads from the D-Link (.co.uk) website

I recently updated mine to this firmware/kernel version and it seems far more stable now.

MAKE SURE you RTFM if/when you do this upgrade

Check your existing version by looking at this screen on your browser: http://www.tdrs.co.uk/aviation/g604t.jpg

roach
6th May 2005, 20:41
Thanks for the info. I do need to upgrade but can not find enough info on the way to go about it. i have downloaded two files from their site but can find no instructions.

rustle
6th May 2005, 21:19
The installation guide is a PDF file and it's HERE (ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-g604t/DSL-G604T_firmwareupdate.pdf)

and the firmware/kernel are HERE (ftp://ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-g604t/DSL-G604T_FW_v1.00B03T01.UK.20041126.zip)

rustle
11th May 2005, 21:27
Any news on this?

roach
12th May 2005, 09:56
Update...tech support have been helpful at D-Link but the problem remains.
I have updated with all the latest downloads and the problem is still there.
Last "fix" was so assign a static IP address to the router but it disconnected again last night when left "wireless", as soon as I connected a LAN cable it worked. Tonight I will leave the cable connected...tomorrow I will smash a router and feel much better! No seriously, it is frustrating and I will get to the bottom of it.

All Ahead Full
12th May 2005, 13:18
One thing that maybe worht considering is changing the channel ID, as it maybe conflicting with another Wireless Access point near you. Change the Channel ID to something else, and see if that improves.

roach
12th May 2005, 14:44
Do you mean a Digisender could do it. One of those machines that allow you to watch TV /Sat in another room without the need for cables? That is the only other wireless device I can think of that I have excluding mobiles.

All Ahead Full
12th May 2005, 15:13
No - I mean the channel ID set on the initial page for the Wireless Access Point - it should be on the first screen you get to, and then choose Wireless.

There is a section labeled channel ID.

Change this from the default - normally 6, to something else

roach
12th May 2005, 15:33
OK, found the page you mean. What I am wondering is what I could have at home that might be interfering with it. Thanks for the suggestion by the way! What I am going to do is leave everything as is except leave the cable connection and see what happens in the AM. If the connection has not dropped I will try your change of channel and go back to wireless and see what happens. Just trying to fault find. I guess if I do change the channel I have to do the same on my No 2 PC to match the channel change?

rustle
12th May 2005, 17:56
Check the "advanced / PPP" page on the router webscreen.

Make sure you have it set as "always connected", and not "connect on demand" or "manual"

If you don't have any hardwired connections to the router (i.e. everything routing through it is wireless or off) it may be disconnecting through inactivity...

rustle
12th May 2005, 20:14
Actually, something about your first post makes me wonder whether the "fault" is not actually with the router at all...

You said: I am used to a “frog” modem and if the signal was ever lost I would click an icon to re-connectADSL lines shouldn't just drop. Period. Something is causing this to happen.

Have you double/triple checked that every telephone / fax machine / burglar alarm / ETC that connects to the phone line has an ADSL filter installed?

There's more than router treachery afoot here I think...

All Ahead Full
13th May 2005, 13:32
You mention that you have to change the Channel ID on your PC - this is NOT the case - the PC will automatically pick that up.

roach
14th May 2005, 18:55
The ongoing saga!
Tried changing channel and made no difference.
The connection seems to be OK when cable connected so problem is only there when wireless. What I have noticed is that even though the wireless connection drops on the main PC the one connected by the dongle can still connect to the internet. I am changing my login to "bald from the North"

All Ahead Full
16th May 2005, 08:39
Can you check the logs, and statistics on the Router - if you can do some print screens on these it would help.

Do you have any sort of encryption set up, as if your wireless router is set up without it - there's no telling what someelse could do.

Also consider what is called MAC address filtering which identifies only certain machines are allowed to connect, based on a hardcoded address on the network card.

Let me know