PDA

View Full Version : Carry on luggage on EZY

Xtra Crew
6th May 2005, 09:27
Do EZY cabin crew help passengers to store carry on luggage in the overhead lockers?

I ask this, because at many airports I have seen at the EZY check in desk, a notice informing pax that: There is no weight restriction regarding carry on luggage, but passengers have to be able to lift it themselves.

What do you do when a passengers leaves the trolley in the aisle and asks you to lift it and store it for him?

craic1510
6th May 2005, 10:25
I am ex-ezy crew and remember those regs quite well lol :)

Of course the crew will help you store bags etc into the overhead lockers but what the signs are trying to convey is the weight issue...Its saying that the passenger must be able to lift the weight of the bag into the locker themselves or it is too heavy.

If the passenger can't lift the bag themselves then there is a pretty big liklihood that the crew wont be able to either (ommitting medical reasons etc here..). If the crew can lift the bag which a passenger can't - then great - no problem. But the cabin crew are not allowed to hurt themselves and can refuse to put heavy items into the overhead lockers.

The crew are there to assist passengers at all times, but endangering themselves is a huge issue.

And seens as you have brought the topic up I've got something I would love to add....

In my opinion they should have not changed the rules in regards to handluggage weight restrictions at all. Weight should always be restricted!There were many occasions when on take-off or landing...the bloody overhead lockers opened themselves! Imagine having a huge "heavy" bag fall on your head - or even on a baby...not nice. Even in turbulence, and i've had it bad a few times, it is dangerous.

I think it is a case of commonsense. And I hope for safety's sake that people use it.

craic1510
:confused::\

EasyBaby
6th May 2005, 13:47
completely agree, pax are taking on incredible amounts of baggage now, and its is nothing other than plain bloody dangerous!!!

There already have been a few near misses in regards to pax heads, im sure it wont be long till there is a more serious incident.

saftey first aye right!

EB;)

VFE
6th May 2005, 21:39
What are the implications of heavier cabin baggage not being factored in on aircraft mass and balance calculations considering EZY have an 'any seat you like' policy? This is something which occured to me when I flew EZY a coupla weeks ago. With baggage in cargo holds the deck crew have a better assessment of the weight distribution which is quite an important factor on take-off and landing.... consider an abundance of heavy baggage congregating at the front of the aircraft in the overhead lockers and little down the back... how would they adjust the take off trim for an extra load they were unaware of or do the cabin crew keep an eye out for them?

Cheerz,

VFE.

piton
7th May 2005, 15:11
When EZY brought in the new handbaggage rule last year they also increased the average pax weights used for the load sheet. I no longer fly for EZY but seem to remember they increased pax weights by 5kg. So the extra load being brought into the cabin will be accounted for.

As far as distribution goes the fact that EZY flies 737 300 and 700 series aircraft which are relatively short means it's pretty hard to load out of balance ( unlike the -800 for example). I would imagine the airbus is similar as it's not that long either. The checked in bags are loaded into the aft hold which counterbalances the fact that more people tend to sit in the front half of the aircraft. In the 18 months that I flew with them I was never really out of trim on ttake off - so the system works!:)

OZcabincrew
7th May 2005, 16:35
i can't believe EZY don't have weight restrictions on hand luggage!!!! i can only imagine what pax try and bring on!

storm_animal
7th May 2005, 18:42
Well Im ex ezy and it was quite unbelievable!!

Even though there is no weight restriction there is a size restriction.

Most check in agents especially in Italy and Spain are unaware of this rule and often we would get some wierd things coming on board.

Apart from the usual passenger trying to bring 5 or 6 bags on (yes 5 or 6 bags!!!) I have had a passenger bringing a statue of board, paintings and a 5ft plant!!

VFE
8th May 2005, 12:58
Thanks Piton. :ok:

Yeah Storm_Animal, saw one trying to check-in front of us on the Malager [sic] flight a few weeks ago. 6 bags: "sorry folks I didn't realise".... as he hastily tried to rearrange the nine sets of skies and assorted crap into just the one bag yanno?! I hate queues but when I'm stood like a lose jock strap in a changing room because some horray henry failed to read the rules I tend to get narked - especially on the early flights. You guys working must feel it more if ya have to cope on a daily basis. Respeck!

VFE.