PDA

View Full Version : Have I missed the boat?

tinpis
6th May 2005, 02:25
Tin has never had a latte or sent or received a text message.
Am I missing anything?

Wedge
6th May 2005, 02:34
Absolutely not on either score. ;)

tony draper
6th May 2005, 02:50
Likewise Mr T maily because one refuses to send or read same, there four of em on me phone at the mo that one shalll request ones sis in law to delete tomorrow (now one has been reminded) mainly because one does not know how to, mobile phones are the only bit of technology one refuses to master, except to make and recieve normal type phone calls,also one insists that one's mobile rings like a normal phone,
Incidently only five people in the universe know ones mobile number, and they know not not send text messages to Drapes as they will be unread.

CoodaShooda
6th May 2005, 03:01
Have a mobile that is only briefly turned on when I have to check the office message bank. Reckon once a month is adequate. :}

Never had a latte, or a short black or a decaf etc, etc, etc................Do have a caffeine allergy though :E

Don't think I'm missing anything worth noticing. :ok:

BlueDiamond
6th May 2005, 03:13
You're not missing out on a single thing, tinny ...

Don't "do" text messages and never think to even look for them. Mobile phone rings like a phone should and doesn't chirp, twitter, bleep or play unrecognisable tunes. Neither does it send faxes, take photographs, connect to the internet, service the car or make coffee.

Speaking of which ... I don't "do" latte which is far too milky and weak for me as is cappuccino. I prefer a double strength flat white (not too much milk) or short black (very strong). No foamy topping with chocolate sprinkled around, no decorative glasses, cups, or paper napkins twisted artistically around the container. Just coffee ... industrial strength, serious, ordinary, plain, good old coffee.

:ok:

BombayDuck
6th May 2005, 03:15
Horror of horrors..... where would one be without text messaging?!

Particularly useful when brain is rotting in the middle of a meeting... thats when you send a text msg to the chappie sitting across the table... also for most people they're cheaper than making calls. so especially those who're short for cash makes more sense to send small messages by text...

As for coffee..... aaaaaahhhhhhhh

Jerricho
6th May 2005, 04:14
With you there Tin :ok:

When I got my phone, the provider was doing a big sale on certain packages of caller id, extra text messages, ring tones etc. I told the sales assistant I just wanted the phone, with voice mail and that's it. Couldn't give a rats about the rest. The look on the guys face equated to me insulting his mother.

henry crun
6th May 2005, 04:45
Tinny, likewise, have never had either.

tinpis
6th May 2005, 04:46
Tin is all for bringing back the six o'clock swill.

`
:}

CoodaShooda
6th May 2005, 07:33
Tinny

Thought that was Mitchell St at 0600 local :E

eal401
6th May 2005, 07:43
Tin has never had a latte or sent or received a text message.
You are not missing anything.

Though to be fair, a latte is just white coffee with a posh name. ;)

tall and tasty
6th May 2005, 07:48
Aww Tin

They are great if you have your phone on silent mode in a meeting and you get a naughty/amusing text message. Read it with out letting on that you are and then reply under the desk.

Or flirtatious txt are fun too if you are not allowed to use the phone in the office. :E

Or maybe that is just a girlie thing ;) :p

As to lattes don't do them, I drink my coffee black and strong

TnT

Solid Rust Twotter
6th May 2005, 08:20
One carries a mobile that doubles as a weapon of defence or something solid to hide under in case of earthquakes. It sounds like a normal 'phone and any text messages are deleted sight unseen. It's the work of the devil and one objects to having one but it seems necessary to allow silly people to call and ask one silly questions.

One regards them as a gross invasion of privacy...:*

Oh, tea please!:ok:

Gainesy
6th May 2005, 08:39
Me mobile is about six years old and is (seldom) used for voice only. I've had about ten quid credit on it for the last two years. I'm of the same outlook as BD & Rusty. One has never, ever, read a text message, let alone sent one.

However, one has a posh phone at home wot plugs into the wall. And a camera that can't make calls, but takes nice piccies on summat called film.

One does not do any drink but tea (or beer).

IFTB
6th May 2005, 08:56
I hate the inferred principle of phones (fixed or mobile). It rings and you have to stop what you're doing to talk to someone who wants to talk to you. Most of the time I ignore the ringing and use an answerphone. Now I will listen when it suits me.
Mobile phones are a pest. Same personal disturbance factor but now added stupid worbles and loud voices in public.
HOWEVER, I mainly have one so that various parts of family can keep in touch through texting. The kids can not really afford the bills for talking and as all the calls from me to them will be foreign, me phoning them will still add cost to their bills.
Conculusion:
Great for emergencies and texting.
:mad: the ringtones
:mad: the blue tooth:earpieces crap
:mad: the loud public use
:mad: the use in cars/on bikes.

Note: I run a lot and it is not unusual that some [email protected]/ster gets a call while running (road running feature only, BTW).
What a bunch of :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :mad:

Latte, latte..........another drive to start using Starfcuks lingo?

I blame the US and its UK support. :rolleyes:

panda-k-bear
6th May 2005, 09:23
I'm generally with IFTB - latte is an excuse to charge treble for a flipping white coffee - rip-off.

HATE texting with a passion, but have you ever tried to use a mobile phone to talk with in India? Just doesn't bloody work but texts do get through. When there, one has little choice but to use text - proving to oneself that one truly is all thumbs...

Gouabafla
6th May 2005, 09:36
I think texts are great. Mrs G and I travel a lot and texts are a quick and reletively cheap way to keep in contact. There is something about sitting in a meeting in Cameroon and getting a text telling me that wife and dog are out for a walk in England that makes long trips away much easier to bear.

Can't put up with this texting speak though.

Normally drink my coffee strong and black, but I enjoy the odd latte but only if I can get extra espresso in it so that it is strong enough to taste.

BlueDiamond
6th May 2005, 11:08
A couple of folk have said that latte is just white coffee but I always thought it was coffee made with all milk and no water. Does anyone know for certain which it is?

tart1
6th May 2005, 12:26
I agree with the posters who say that texting is a much cheaper way of staying in contact when abroad. Combined with emailing, they are a very good way of speaking cheaply to home every day. I have an old mobile which rings with a normal tone BTW.

I like coffee but I don't think I've ever had a latte. But so what? If that's what people like. I don't know what is wrong with it.

:p

1DC
6th May 2005, 21:17
Only drink black coffee, never tried a latte and never missed it.
When I worked i had a mobile and a bleeper, mobile was always switched off and if anyone wanted to contact me they bleeped me and I called them back if i wanted to..It worked quite well and stopped a lot of unwanted calls.
When I retired i bought a zone three phone which is always switched on, so the kids can contact us if we are away. I don't use it much and the phone bill is about 2 quid a month.If we go abroad to the same place for a long time we buy a local chip and use the phone as pay as you go.
This was great for three years and then youngest daughter showed her mother how to text, she was hooked bought a newer phone which she uses to text most days..

acbus1
7th May 2005, 06:31
Texting is a female thing.

I speak from observation. Female cabin crew come to work to earn enough cash to cover the texting bills during turnrounds.

Must be some evolutionary thing taking millions of years. Perhaps it fills a void if there is'nt a bloke around to jab a finger at.

Latte.

Evolutionary sequence........

Friends (the series)

South Perk coffee shop.

Coffee shops everywhere.

Coffee shops justifying being everywhere.

Digging up/inventing millions of coffee variations to justify.......

Latte.

BlueDiamond
7th May 2005, 06:41
Well, I've just found out what Latte is ... a shot of espresso with lashings of milk, but in the process of looking it up, I discovered an alarming development in this expression of trendiness ... Latte Art. (http://www.ineedcoffee.com/02/12/latteart/print.asp)

Whatever next. ;)

BombayDuck
7th May 2005, 09:47
HATE texting with a passion, but have you ever tried to use a mobile phone to talk with in India? Just doesn't bloody work but texts do get through.

erm.... panda then someone should tell those bastids at HSBC bank so that they can stop offering me a free Credit card on me cellphone :mad:

Seriously, i dont know where you got that from, both calls and text messages get through rather fine....

maggioneato
7th May 2005, 10:00
HSBC are a pain in the bum. They started ringing us at home, only marketing calls, so went in to the local branch and had our number removed from their records. None since. As for texting, I use it mainly to leave a message on the landline at home, usually adding kiss my bum on the end, which is so funny delivered as a voice message. Well I think so anyway. So yes, I like my mobile phone, at the same time if it's not convienient to answer when it rings, I don't. Don't like to share my private conversations in public, so will ring whoever back when I get back to the car.

acbus1
7th May 2005, 10:12
........kiss my bum on the end
Which bit is the end?

maggioneato
7th May 2005, 16:07
:p The end of the message. I knew what I meant. :D

tinpis
8th May 2005, 01:14
If they bring in cell costs to local call charges one would be impressed.
Never happen in Orstraya with ONE only phone company.

Tin prefers Bali coffee made in the pot .(not with pot tho:O )