PDA

View Full Version : Radio Licence

thejakes
5th May 2005, 21:58
Hey, I've just sent off everything to the CAA for my PPL and was told by my instructor the wait would be 2-4 weeks to get it back! Is this true? What about the Radio License (which I haven't done yet)?

Thanks.

scubawasp
6th May 2005, 10:47
The wait is around 2-4 weeks. I am suprised that you have not done your RT practical before sending it off? Even more supprised your instructor has not mentioned it???

thejakes
8th May 2005, 21:58
Yeah I did my PPL in the States but had to leave straight away so I didn't have time to do the Radio License as well, thought I'd just do it when i got back.

Thanks for ur reply.

Farrell
8th May 2005, 23:23
Can you get your PPL without the RT licence???

mbcxharm
9th May 2005, 00:38
Yes you can. After a bit of a misunderstanding about converting my foreign ICAO PPL to a JAA one I managed to get a JAA PPL issued without the Flight Telephone Operator's Licence.

20 minutes with a tape recorder and an instructor sorted it out...

BEagle
9th May 2005, 07:07
If you don't apply for your FRTOL at the same time as your PPL, you will have to pay a fee for both licences. Whereas if you apply for both at the same time, you do not pay a separate FRTOL fee.

cypilot77
8th Mar 2007, 03:21
hello people,
this is my comfusing question. A friend of mine got a job in india and they told him that in order to fly in european destinations he has to have UK or JAA radio license. The guy has FAA CPL and FCC restricted radio license. So we are both wandering if he actually need the JAA license. Also is it possible to have FAA pilot license and JAA or UK radio license? How do you get one? Can you just convert the FCC one to JAA? How this thing works?
thank you

BlueRobin
8th Mar 2007, 04:55
LASORS Section B is what you need to read
http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/SECTION%20B.pdf

scroggs
8th Mar 2007, 07:06
No, it isn't. BlueRobin, you have misunderstood the question.

A properly ICAO-licensed professional pilot, flying an aircraft registered in a non-JAA country, does not need any JAA qualifications whatsoever to operate that aircraft on behalf of his employer in Europe. However, that does not stop an Indian employer voluntarily choosing to have their pilots take the JAA radio licence if that employer so wishes, in order to improve flight safety. Poor radio English is currently a very hot topic in Indian aviation, which may be why this course is being taken.

If that pilot subsequently wishes to change employment to an airline flying JAA-registered aircraft, then he will need to convert his licence to a JAA one. That topic is covered in great detail here (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=231486) - but that's not what cypilot77 was asking.

Scroggs

cypilot77
8th Mar 2007, 14:18
thanks scrooggs. whatever you said makes sense. BUT again, how can you get the JAA radio license if you only have FAA license? I thought this was only for JAA ATPL pilots requirement.Can you do it with FAA CPL too?? And if you can, how you do it? Do you take any tests? Because to me it just doesnt make any sense for somebody to fly an Indian or chinese registered airccraft with FAA license and at the same time to have JAA radio license.

neilia
8th Mar 2007, 14:32
It's a standalone licence, you don't need a JAA flight-crew licence to get it. There's a short written test and a rather strange practical test where you do a simulated flight with an examiner. The basic licence is restricted to non-HF, this is lifted once you pass CPL or ATPL exams I believe, so not sure how this would work for your friend.

BackPacker
8th Mar 2007, 14:36
A JAA radio license is completely separate from whatever flying license you hold. In fact, it is a completely separate piece of paper. So you can obtain a JAA RT license (actually called the FRTOL - Flight Radio Telephony Operating Licence, I believe) without having any pilot qualifications whatsoever - useful for the people manning "MyLocalField Radio" or "MyLocalField Information".

So it doesn't matter whether you hold an Indian ATPL or FAA PPL or just a drivers license. You can get the R/T license by doing the exam. In fact, I think there's two exams: one for VHF and one for HF. If you do VHF only you get a restriction "VHF only", obviously.

Now whether passing the JAA exam really improves your aviation English, I don't know.

Hour Builder
8th Mar 2007, 16:25
Don't forget FRTOL is a UK National licence and not JAR.

cypilot77
9th Mar 2007, 02:12
thank you all. Your answers were very helpfull. Can you just tell me were i can take this exam? is it online test or you have to be in class?

2close
9th Mar 2007, 09:02
Assuming it is the UK FRTOL you are after, get a copy of CAP 413 - free to download from UK CAA website

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?categoryid=33&pagetype=65&applicationid=11&mode=detail&id=247

Oxford Aviation Media do a couple of VFR / IFR Radiotelephony CD ROMs, which work through example flights from start to finish.

Qs and As can be found in the PPL Confuser or I can send you example ATPL Qs and As if you PM me your e-mail address.

The written and practical tests you would need to arrange with a UK FTO.

HTH

2close

dxbpilot
8th May 2007, 12:36
Hi,

I am trying to work out if I need to take another RT licence test to obtain a CAA CPL licence. Is it a requirement to take it again no matter what country you hold a RT licence in at the moment ?

I have searched the CAA website as usual they are not of much help.

If anyone could help me out it would be appreciated.

cheers

Airbus38
8th May 2007, 15:36
Hi,

These sections are taken from LASORS 2007 (Just copied and pasted from the same section with various bits removed so for the full picture download a copy of LASORS 2007 from the CAA website).

Holders of a non-UK Flight Radiotelephony Operator’s Licence, Qualified Service Pilots (QSP) and ATCOs may be exempt from the requirement to pass some or all of the UK FRTOL examinations. The following
exemptions apply:
Holders of a valid pass in the JAR-FCL Communications Examinations in VFR and IFR Communications (Subject 90) are credited with the written theoretical examination.
Holders of a JAR-FCL Pilot licence issued by another JAA State that includes an Instrument Rating are credited with the practical Communications test and theoretical written examination.
The Holder of a valid CPL or ATPL with in excess of 1500 hours flight time engaged in International public transport flights who holds a Flight Radiotelephony Operator's Licence issued by any ICAO contracting State, in accordance with Article 37 of the ITU Radio Regulations, which has been issued on the basis of comparable tests and examinations to those required in the UK, will be credited with the practical Communications test and theoretical written examination, provided that the licence is valid and the tests were conducted using the English language. Article 37 requires that the licence itself contain a certificate indicating its compliance, letters of Authority are not acceptable.
Holders of a PPL issued in accordance with ICAO Annex 1 seeking licence conversion to a UK issued PPL shall, in order to qualify for the issue of a UK FRTOL pass the RTF practical test in the 12 months prior to application. Holders of a JAA PPL issued by a State other than the UK shall be required to sit the UK RTF Practical test in order to qualify for the issue of a UK FRTOL.
Holders of Flight Radiotelephony Licences and privileges issued by States in ITU Region 1 (North and South America) or where no tests or examinations have been required will not be credited. A number of States are known to issue FRTOL's with ‘VFR only’ privileges for use in National languages – holders of any such licence will not be credited. Students who are seeking to obtain a UK issued JAA professional pilots licence or Instrument rating will be required to provide evidence of either holding a valid UK FRTOL or of having passed the UK RTF practical test prior to attempting the CPL or IR Skill Test. (A student attempting both the CPL and IR Skill Test will be required to hold a valid UK FRTOL or passed the UK RTF practical test prior to attempting their first test, whichever comes first).

Hope that helps
A38

dxbpilot
8th May 2007, 16:37
Thanks alot that is very helpful cheers...