PDA

View Full Version : Thought you might care to see this.

PPRuNe Pop
5th May 2005, 17:11
I like this and I thought some of you might like it too. The story is from the The Times dated 8th May 1945, and out of The Times today..

CZECH PILOTS RETURN HOME

In Spitfires, similar to those in which they have fought in every major air battle since Dunkirk, Czech fighter pilots yesterday took off from a R.A.F Fighter Command airfield in Britain to fly back to their own country, which they have not seen for five years. Pilots and ground crews of other R.A.F. fighter squadrons, operating from the same airfield, lined the runway and cheered in farewell as the Czech squadron took off for the last from a British airfield. Air Vice-Marshall J.B. Coleman, A.O.C., No 11 Fighter Group sent a message of farewell to the squadron and thanked them for the magnificent part they played in the defeat of the Luftwaffe.

Being of the age in 1940 when every British aeroplane flying had a hero at the controls it somehow hits home, even now, that these guys were so important to us in this island.

God bless every single soldier sailor and airman who defended us.

Kiting for Boys
5th May 2005, 17:31
Then they were all jailed by the sovs

Didn't get out until the late fifties and only recently given any recognition

exleckie
5th May 2005, 18:12
For the brave Czechs who are still with us, do you think they would like a veterans badge or a medal for helping to save our island from the hun???????????? (yes, I know, but you can see my point)

Never the less, as an individual, each and every one of them has my heartfelt respect for the sacrifices they made both during and after WW2.

BEagle
5th May 2005, 19:25
After the 'Velvet Revolution', we were tasked to take our Vickers FunBus to an airshow at Hradec Kralove in the Czech Republic. During the afternoon, we saw some chaps in somewhat threadbare RAF No1s - they were in the VIP area and we had an excellent time chatting to these fine old chaps. Some younger chap kept bringing us beer and other freebies...when we asked who he was, we were told that he was the C-in-C of the Czech Republic Air Force.....

Excellent weekend!!

exleckie
5th May 2005, 19:36
At Riat 1994, always will remember swopping gizzits with a Czech pilot.

We gave him Sqn badges and stickers, he dipped into his rucksack and gave us a few bottles of Budweiser Budvar. It was a simple gesture but it meant the earth to me.

Despite the fact we didn't understand each other language wise, that exchange of badges and beer spoke volumes.

Exleckie

Climebear
5th May 2005, 19:46
Similar vein, I remember a Czech Hind coming across to sunny Aldergrove in the late '90s for a mini-tiger meet (see tiger thread also running). Great bunch of guys and the sight of a Hind in the area must have worried a few local players.

Sadly the Hind crashed on its return flight home all were killed. Fond memories of spending such a short time with them - I hope that the zap they left in the Mess toilet is still there in memory.

Back on track - hats off to all those Czechs, Poles, Hungarians etc who came over hear to help us defend Blighty and defeat the Nazis only to be jailed by the Soviets when they returned home.

PlasticCabDriver
5th May 2005, 20:49
Climebear, the one where the cost of the dining-in night was more than a weeks wages for the Major who came flew it over?

The beer from the ammo bay had an interesting tang of gun oil, I seem to remember!

Maple 01
5th May 2005, 21:01
Hungarians

errrr, they were on the other side!

A few years back the first post-Communist government issued a kind of GSM for those who served alongside the Western allies. After years of persecution under the communists they finally got some recognition. Bars issued with the medal included 'Battle of Britain', 'North Africa' and just about every hell-hole between there and Berlin.

I was feeling kind of wingey, reading another thread about not getting anything for various trips to the FI or something to celebrate the end of the Cold War , then I thought about 'our Poles' and shut-up

Podzięka chłopcy!

stiknruda
5th May 2005, 22:47
Polish Victories (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=125587&highlight=pietrzak)

buoy15
5th May 2005, 23:04
RIAT 2003

Not quite sure here but somebody will correct me

I think the Fulcrum pilot who won the Display prize may have been Czech or Pole

It was his last season and he was supposedly there as back-up to his replacement

The 'new boy' flew day 2 but was a bit tame, so the No 1, who I believe was aged about 57, flew the final day, and stole the show, as he did the year before.

What a display, and what an aircraft!

With such human skill and brute ac power, it makes you question the theory of flight.

delta96
7th May 2005, 15:53
As an aside, the RAF had in 1944 the worlds first ball-point pen produced for them under a patent of Josef BIRO, a Hungarian escapee from the Nazis. Thus aircrew on a 'milk run' could complete the 'Times Crossword' in ink at altitude and not be accused of changing their answers later.