PDA

View Full Version : too many new pilots???

thecontroller
5th May 2005, 15:51
I am currently at one of the large USA schools and there seems to be tons of students all wanting to be CFIs. Every 25 year old Norwegian seems to want to be a pilot.

Are there enough instructor jobs for all these people???

I know the US training market is big, but this school is producing 5-10 CFIs a month.

GLSNightPilot
5th May 2005, 18:51
It's a pyramid scheme. It requires bringing in more students in a geometric progression. I have no actual data, but my estimate is that perhaps 10% of those who start will actually get a job. Maybe I'm wrong, but I would never use my own money to pay for the training today. I wish you good luck with your career.

Hedski
6th May 2005, 11:28
The only thing is all those Norwegians, I know many, go and only do FAA licences. They wait until Visa's etc. expire then arrive home to the Fjords and convert to JAR after they have loads of circuit piston time. They then wonder why North Sea companies are not snapping them up left, right and centre: because they have no turbine, instrument or commercial experience of any kind!
Few get decent jobs this way, it's a long haul so they remain in a vicious circle of jumping over each other to apply for jobs they never get.
There are some who get time in the GOM or Alaska who end up being very successful indeed, but very much in the minority!
IMHO of course!:}