PDA

View Full Version : Who can help me?

La Pollo
5th May 2005, 12:20
Hello there!

I'm thinking of applying for a long haul airline in London Gatwick or Heathrow, however, before I'll do that, I would like to have some questions answered. Could anybody please help me?

1) Which Gatwick/Heathrow based airlines fly long haul?

2) What about standby times for these airlines?

3) Is it possible to live in Cambridge when I'm flying long haul out of Gatwick/Heathrow?

4) What's the average pay as long haul cabin crew?

5) Does anybody have any good advice, do's and don'ts, bad or good experience with respect to flying long haul out of Gatwick/Heathrow?

I know there's plenty of info to find in PPRUNE, however, my 4 hours search didn't get me the info I wanted...:O

Thanks a lot everybody!

Regards,
La Pollo :ok:

EasyBaby
5th May 2005, 16:25
from what i have heard and observed Virgin dont pay very well but you are a dedicated long haul airline so only going abroad all the time the jet lag might catch you up though. Estimate take home pay around £1000/1200 pm

BA are a good airline to have a career with, good money and on average you have to wait 2years to get onto the long haul side of things. If you join LGW BA that might be quicker than LHR but i think the contract and pay are slightly different. But even SH BA have good nightstops. Pay can reach £1300 or more

Monarch and BMI i know less about, Monarch in my experience havent been the most friendly of airlines, but they do a mix of SH/LH so i would imagine there would be a waiting list to join LH likewise BMI.

BMI are expanding thier LH network so progression to LH might be quicker than you think. They also do a few nightstops on their SH network. Im not sure about their pay scales.

Most airlines have a 90 minute max report time if you have been called out but not 100% sure on that.

Im sure some one else will come along and fill in the gaps.

EB;)

La Pollo
7th May 2005, 13:17
Thanks for the replies!

What about Virgin? Is it really true people don't earn a lot, have to work really hard and are commonly speaking not happy there?

What about their rosters? Is it fixed? Or is there a bidding system?

Thanks again!

La Pollo :ok:

OZcabincrew
7th May 2005, 16:43
i work with a girl who used to live in the UK and fly for Virgin Atlantic and she said the pay was extremely bad which is why she left.