PDA

View Full Version : Vigilantes

allan907
5th May 2005, 09:25
This appalling piece of vigilantism has just appeared in my email with some 500 odd names from both the UK and Australia at the bottom.

I am firmly in the "swing 'em high" branch of the approach to justice but this is just not right.

Whatever the rights and wrongs of this appalling murder the 2 miscreants have done their time and paid the price. I am sure that they are both very much older and wiser men now and will have to live with this crime on their consciences for all time. Hounding them around the world without giving them a chance at rehabilitation is not the answer and for the names attached to the email it does not do them proud.

Do you remember February 1993 when a young 3 yr old was taken from Liverpool, United Kingdom, by two 10-year-old boys. Jamie Bulger walked away from his mother for only a second and Jon Venables took his hand and led him out of the mall with his friend Robert Thompson.

They took Jamie on a walk for over 2 and a half miles, along the way stopping every now and again to torture the poor little boy who was crying constantly for his mummy. Finally they stopped at a railway track where they brutally kicked him, threw stones at him, rubbed paint in his eyes and pushed batteries up his anus. It was actually worse than this.

What these two boys did was so horrendous that Jamie's mother was forbidden to identify his body. They then left his beaten small body on the tracks so a train could run him over to hide the mess they created.

These two boys, even being boys, understood what they did was wrong, hence trying to make it look like an accident. This week Lady Justice Butler-Sloss has awarded the two boys anonymity for the rest of their lives when they leave custody with new identities. They will also leave early this year only serving just over half of their sentence. They are being relocated to Australia to live out the rest of their lives. They disgustingly and violently took Jamie's life away - in return they each get a new life.

Please ... if you feel, as we do, that this is a grave miscarriage of
justice .. copy entire email .. then add your name at the end, and
send it to everyone you can! If you are the 500th person to sign, please forward this e-mail to: [email protected] and attention it to Lady Justice Butler-Sloss. Then start the list over again and send to your friends and family.

The Love-Bug virus took less that 72 hours to reach the world. I hope this one does as well. We need to protect our family and friends from creatures like Robert and Jon. One day they maybe living next door to you and your small children, without your knowledge.

Kalium Chloride
5th May 2005, 09:58
That was a Party Election Broadcast by the Stuff The Victim What About The Feelings Of The Poor Misunderstood Criminals Party. :yuk:

BlueDiamond
5th May 2005, 10:14
It's a bit of a hoax thing, allan907 ... you can read about it here. (http://www.breakthechain.org/exclusives/bulger.html)

X-QUORK
5th May 2005, 11:31
allan907,

To quote from your post:

"Whatever the rights and wrongs of this appalling murder the 2 miscreants have done their time and paid the price. "

They might have completed their sentences, but in my opinion, they have not paid nearly enough of a price. In these sorts of crimes life should mean exactly that, life.

I for one will not shed a tear if these guys get hounded by vigilantes for the rest of their miserable lives.

Curious Pax
5th May 2005, 11:39
The Bulger murder is one of the most heinous I can remember, but does the fact that the perpetrators were all of 10 years old at the time count for nothing? Unusually I think that the sentence and exile were about right.

Maybe KC and XQ would have preferred a public hanging as soon as they were convicted?

X-QUORK
5th May 2005, 11:48
Don't belittle yourself with sarcastic comments Curious Pax, I stated quite clearly what I felt would be a suitable sentence.

eal401
5th May 2005, 13:18
Maybe KC and XQ would have preferred a public hanging as soon as they were convicted?
I think they'd be first in the queue with the baseball bats. Studded with rusty nails of course.

Curious Pax
5th May 2005, 13:20
XQ - you did indeed - as you delight in the idea of them being pursued by vigilantes for the rest of their lives, what do you think they would do if they caught them? Give them a good telling off?

effortless
5th May 2005, 13:29
Wierd innit? I mean I don't see crowds of vigilantes screaming for the blood of other murderes who have been released. A couple of kids ooh we'd better kill these little sods. Could it be because they were little kiddies when they did it that makes them so much more evil than your good old everyday type murderer?

Get a grip on yourselves. Children are capable of evil acts. It is just that most of them get trained from an early age to not to be killers. These two did not get the upbringing that we have a duty to give every child. I thank whatever god there may be that I did not actually kill anyone when I was a child and that I was lucky enough not to have been killed when I was tortured by other children. I am not exagerating. I was speechless with rage when these two were publicly tried. This demonstrates a barbarism which I thought that we British were above.

Biggles Flies Undone
5th May 2005, 13:38
I was speechless with rage when these two were publicly tried.
They committed far more than just a simple murder and the facts were widely reported. Not to have punished them very publicly would have sent exactly the wrong message to any other like-minded kids in these ever-increasing violent times.

They may well start new lives and families on the other side of the world. I sincerely hope that nobody ever puts them through what Jamie Bulger's parents were put through.

X-QUORK
5th May 2005, 14:22
Curious Pax

I do not encourage vigilantism, but neither will I have the least bit of sympathy for Jamie Bulger's murderers if they have to spend the rest of their lives hiding.

eal401

Your thought it is duly noted as neither interesting nor a valuable contribution to the debate.

eal401
5th May 2005, 14:29
Sorry X-Quork, it's just so lovely seeing such wonderfully open-minded people like you around.

What they did was a dreadful, terrible thing, make no mistake. However, as pointed out, they were ten at the time, a point in life where things are interpreted much differently to an adult mind. Keeping them in prison for the rest of their lives or hiding them on the other side of the planet is unlikely to make the slightest difference to whatever Jamie's family has suffered.

Perhaps someone knows what they think?

X-QUORK
5th May 2005, 14:58
eal401

As with Curious Pax, I have no personal axe to grind with you here, but I find your sarcastic comments a tad personal and somewhat childish. Try and keep to debating the subject in hand rather than mocking those who dare to hold a different opinion, it will show you have some manners and might give your comments a little more credibility.

I'm not going to try and change your mind about my apparently narrow-minded view of the world, but maybe you would do well to consider that most of us are complex beings and should not be judged purely on an opinion regarding a single subject.

eal401
5th May 2005, 15:06
X-Quork:

but maybe you would do well to consider that most of us are complex beings and should not be judged purely on an opinion regarding a single subject.

I for one will not shed a tear if these guys get hounded by vigilantes for the rest of their miserable lives.

An interesting pair of quotes, wouldn't you say?

Ironically, a very appropriate news story has just appeared on the BBC News website:

'Savage killer' jailed for life

A man who tortured a homeless widower to death in the mistaken belief he was a paedophile, has been jailed for life.

Full story (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/wear/4517189.stm)

This is what one or more of the vigilantes "not having a tear shed about" will be dreaming of doing.

er82
5th May 2005, 15:46
So what do you all think about Maxine Carr being given protection and the like?!?! She covered up the fact that her boyfriend, who was an ADULT (and therefore no crappy excuses about not being old enough to know what he was doing), killed two little girls. Taxpayers money will be spent (1,000,000 per year) to give her somewhere to live, protection, blah blah blah. She should have been locked up for life and had the key thrown away.

Huntley got attacked in prison. Good on the bloke that did it.

And as far as those 'boys', please don't get me started. They were 10. At that age, a child is old enough to know what is right and what is WRONG. They didn't just kill him, they effectively killed a family. His mother didn't even get a chance to see her little boy, her life, one last time because his injuries were so horrific. It takes a lot of thought to do something that bad.
In order to be 're-habilitated', they were taken to football matches. What a load of bollox! Again, taxpayers money being spent on those who really don't deserve a penny. They should be locked up for life as well. But seeing as we don't tend to do that all to often in this country, if they are going to be set free, let them go it alone...

X-QUORK
5th May 2005, 15:48
eal401

What's your point? You've quoted two of my comments and not offered up anything other than you think they're an interesting pair of quotes.

I don't see any contradiction if that's what you're implying.

eal401
5th May 2005, 15:56
Originally I did explain the reasoning for picking those two quotes. Then I thought, "Nah, they'll be clever enough to understand."

Whoops. :rolleyes:

You stated:
most of us are complex beings and should not be judged purely on an opinion regarding a single subject.
and then said:
The latter is a judgement based on your opinion regarding a single event.

er82, I didn't realise keeping someone in jail did not cost any money. Where does you 1m figure come from?

effortless
5th May 2005, 16:08
Not to have punished them very publicly would have sent exactly the wrong message to any other like-minded kids in these ever-increasing violent times.

So you think that it is fear of being caught that stops children or indeed anyone else from taking a baby and stoning it to death.

They didn't just kill him, they effectively killed a family. His mother didn't even get a chance to see her little boy, her life, one last time because his injuries were so horrific.

I know what that feels like so don't you dare preach to those of us who have seen our children abused or tortured to death and take it upon yourself to speak for us. We sit here with a grief that is incomprehensible to those who have never lost a child. People like you do nothing but revolt us with your narrow-minded rantings which have more to do with your ignorance and bloodlust than a thirst for so called justice.

X-QUORK
5th May 2005, 16:11
eal401, once again you manage to keep it personal by implying that I'm stupid, so I won't bother to debate the point with you any further.

Biggles Flies Undone
5th May 2005, 16:19
So you think that it is fear of being caught that stops children or indeed anyone else from taking a baby and stoning it to death
How can you draw that conclusion from what I wrote? The fact remains that to do nothing is wrong - to punish the offenders underlines the fact that what they did is not acceptable to society.

People like you do nothing but revolt us with your narrow-minded rantings
You're allowing your personal situation to give you the tunnel vision you accuse others of.

flapsforty
5th May 2005, 16:36
From the Jetbalst rules of engagement:
Personal attacks on others are not allowed. To be mortally insulting without getting personal is a artform. Acquire the skill. If you can not counter an argument without attacking the person, then do not post here.
Got better things to do with my time that weeding out offending passages from people who know better.
Bye bye thread. :rolleyes: