PDA

View Full Version : Mugabe buys "airliners" from China

Gunship
4th May 2005, 20:39
The man does not stop does he ... wonder what he gave the Chinese ? Frozen oil field ? :E

Zimbabwe's President Robert Mugabe on Wednesday commissioned two of three passenger planes bought from China, praising the Asian nation for standing by his country, which has been cut off from its former friends in the West.

"The delivery of the two aircraft is symbolic of our resolve to foster even stronger ties with our friends who have supported our cause," Mugabe told hundreds gathered at Harare's International Airport to see the planes off on their maiden flight to the resort town of Victoria Falls.

"They supported us during our liberation struggle... they have continued to extend a hand of solidarity. The Republic of China is steadily becoming the largest foreign investor in Zimbabwe and our biggest trading partner."

Following sanctions and isolation by western countries over the political crisis in the country, Zimbabwe has adopted the "Look East" policy, fostering new relations with Asian countries, particularly China, Malaysia, Singapore.

Air Zimbabwe bought the MA60 52-seater planes from the Chinese state-owned AVIC aircraft manufacturer and received a third plane as a gift from the Chinese government. :E

"We are proud that our national airline is responding to our burgeoning 'Look East' policy," Mugabe said. "Look east, we say, where the sun rises."

The purchase by Air Zimbabwe comes just weeks after the southern African country took delivery of six Chinese-made Karakorum 8 (K-8) military trainer jets.

The 60-seater propeller planes will take on domestic and regional routes that have been serviced by long-haul Boeing aircraft.

Last month Zimbabwe's national passenger bus company took delivery of 50 commuter buses bought from First Automobile Works in China. - Sapa-AFP

B Sousa
4th May 2005, 21:31
Trust me, the Chineese are smarter than a hundred Mugarbages.....There are no free rides, the Zimbabwe folks will pay for his actions.
Should be plenty of take out restaurants there in a year or so, lets see if they have any food.

MarkD
5th May 2005, 02:39
Well why wouldn't China sell them whatever the hell he wants as everyone is frightened the PRC won't buy A380s or allow KFC set up if they say "boo". :* :yuk:

WideGlide
5th May 2005, 03:27
I believe Zim is the first customer for this aircraft. Although it appears to be a capable plane, the Chinnese could sell ice to the eskimos which may be the case here.

jb1007
5th May 2005, 04:32
At 11Million usd each and he can't even pay his elect bill??

View the piece of sh.t at: (Good engines though)

http://www.flightdailynews.com/singapore2002/feb27/airtransport/ma60.shtm

:suspect:

WideGlide
5th May 2005, 07:22
exactly as I pictured - Dash8Ski

alexmcfire
5th May 2005, 09:17
Well, plenty of gold and other minerals in Zim, donīt forget the
Zim involvement in DRC, some ice-cubes must get to the Chinese
as well...

Gunship
5th May 2005, 09:40
Sorry I have my thinking cap on ..

I actually can not blame this man. Yes we all know he is bad and sad and :mad: up.

But it also shows you how :mad: ed the rest of the world is for not being able to stop him / other people doing business with him / his government.

In apartheid SA every a$$ on earth was against us ... dammit did we do more wrong than him ? :E

So he just helps himself wher ehe get's help from and the Chinese has WIDE open arms. Previously the Russians would have been overjoyed to throw their toys in the same cot as him.

Now the Chinks ... mhhh Gunsss are thinking ... :}

alexmcfire
5th May 2005, 11:04
They leadership in Zim are banned from travelling in EU, exception
was the trip to Vatican.
Anyway, seem like Laos, Fiji, Eritrea, Congo (donīt know which one) and Zimbabwe are the customers outside PRC.
Link to the Fiji, Eritrea and Congo deal,
http://www.dehai.org/archives/dehai_news_archive/0424.html

Gunship
5th May 2005, 13:16
For those that do not know : The MA-60 is a modernised version of the Y-7 which was a Chinese copy of the An-24 as far as I know ?

V1 Rotate
5th May 2005, 19:04
The Zimbabweans will pay dearly for this. I remember when Eritrea mortgaged their entire economy to the Chinese for the next 999years in exchange for some road building.
I personally viewed some of the work and noted that the concrete bridges had started to crumble after 6 months. The Chinese will now take whatever they want out of that country for as long as they like.
Surely old 748s would have been better for Zim??
V1:cool:

Solid Rust Twotter
5th May 2005, 20:04
Perhaps the Chinese have figured out Zimboons taste like chicken.....:E

Not long now, folks.:(

PAXboy
5th May 2005, 22:11
Cannot but agree that the Chinese have never heard about free lunches ...
Mugabe said. "Look east, we say, where the sun rises." Uumm, the 'Land of the rising sun?' That would be Japan. :rolleyes:

--------------------
"I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you any different." Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

MarkD
6th May 2005, 03:59
I seem to recall the US blocking sales of Airbuses to people they didn't like because of US avionics/engines - if they told the Chinese no donks for Uncle Bob (PW127Js aboard) those planes can't swim there!

Metro man
6th May 2005, 06:27
With the present level of ecomomic growth in China, they are desperate for raw materials to keep things going. Demand from China is one of the main reasons why the current oil price is so high.

All the Chinese care about is extracting the wealth from Africa and they are not particular about who they have to deal with in the process. Unlike the British, who at least gave something back in the form of developing the country, with the Chinese it will be a one way street. 10 000 AK47s and a few tanks to keep their man in power is a small price for what they expect in return.

The locals are no match for the Chinese when it comes to business dealing. Expect to see greater Chinese influence throughout the continent, a select few at the top will be well looked after in exchange for the right to pillage the country concerned. As for the man in the street ? What does he matter

barit1
6th May 2005, 11:52
MarkD:

I seem to recall the US blocking sales of Airbuses to people they didn't like because of US avionics/engines - if they told the Chinese no donks for Uncle Bob (PW127Js aboard) those planes can't swim there!

PW120 series donks are made in Canada - (Montreal area). However the props may be Ham. Std.

fluffyfan
6th May 2005, 20:26
Looks like an Antonov 26 with a made in China sticker, like to see mad Bob flying to Europe on one of those, any aircrew from Air Zim with access to Computer, electricity, telephone access, running water, petrol, toothpaste, toilet paper, milk.....not likely I know but what do you think of your new fleet?

BAKELA
7th May 2005, 19:39
Fluffs,any aircrew from Air Zim with access to Computer, electricity, telephone access, running water, petrol, toothpaste, toilet paper, milk.....must be nighstopping outside of Zim. :{ :{

B Sousa
7th May 2005, 21:41
Consider this
Confucius say with purchase of Chinese Airplane comes Chinese Pilots...........They dont really want to lose their investment......
As in China anything that moves is edible, too bad there is nothing left moving in Zimboonland........

MarkD
8th May 2005, 05:08
Barit1, quite right, but I am sure they would not go anywhere without Uncle Sam say so if there is even a US-originated nut in the engines :)

alexmcfire
8th May 2005, 09:42
Aha, the PRC is damp leasing the planes, for minerals in DRC and Zim....

Gunship
8th May 2005, 10:12
Mhhh Alex I pressume you have this on authority ? :E

Why am I not surprised. Somewhere , something had to go in exchange ... Eischhh :}