PDA

View Full Version : Help, Is anybody sponsoring or giving out scholarships.

ladyfly
4th May 2005, 11:43
I have completed my ppl, and am determined to get my ATPL. I also have several hundred hours on motor gliders. I was wondering if anybody has heard of any airlines or schools that have scholarships running. I have written to more people than I can count and not had one reply. Its getting a little tedious.

Many thanks for any help.

L'Fly

Addy
4th May 2005, 11:54
well cabair is doing something with flybe every once in a while, that's about all i know...as far as the writing to more people than you can count: get used to it, you'll do it for the rest of your life ;)

ladyfly
4th May 2005, 11:57
I've been writing for years (well 3), it's as though there is a black hole in the postal system, stuff goes in but never returns:(

Freebird17
4th May 2005, 12:53
Have you applied for the Atlantic scheme at Coventry? A search will reveal lots of info. I understand that there are age and experience conditions. It's rumoured that no female has ever completed the course, but that might not be true. (I'm assuming from the username that you are indeed female?)

scroggs
5th May 2005, 07:08
Other than the 'fugly' scheme at Atlantic (for which there is quite a lot of info on this forum), in Britain there are no fully-sponsored pilot training schemes outside the military. FlyBe and Britannia have run part-sponsorships (ie they still cost you £lots) over the past couple of years. None of these schemes take more than a handful of people.

It would seem that Britannia is moving to the CTC model, using FTE Jerez. I'd be surprised if FlyBe didn't do likewise. Sponsorships, to all intents and purposes, are just about dead. Sorry.

Scroggs

dreamingA380
5th May 2005, 09:22
how about GAPAN? I know a guy who won a FIC scholarship from them.

I dont know much about it... but it might be worth checking out.

Good luck

scroggs
5th May 2005, 10:27
See this thread. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=162567) GAPAN ATPL scholarships, valuable as they undoubtedly are, are even rarer than hen's teeth. By all means have a go, but be aware that only one a year may be awarded. If no-one's considered good enough, it doesn't get awarded. Not one to set your heart on, but it's always worth a punt into leftfield!

There are a few more FI and PPL scholarships, but we're not talking huge numbers here - in fact, I doubt they're into double figures each year.

My original contention is essentially correct: there are no commercial airline full sponsorships any more, with the sole exception of Atlantic's. That situation is unlikely to change.

Scroggs

ladyfly
11th May 2005, 12:37
Many thanks,

will continue to search

L'fly

Antilles
12th May 2005, 00:17
L'Fly,

Speaking from an entirely biased viewpoint, CTC is probably one of the best options open to you if you haven't already tried. Although on paper you're paying for it (the loan from HSBC is in your name) it is one of the few realistic options available for those without the ability to self-fund, and you get the added bonus of (most probably) being secured to an airline by the time you complete the training. It's about as close to sponsorship as you're likely to find in the current climate.

karaoke
13th May 2005, 08:43
but there is no guarantee of a job

I think you may just be looking at the wrong career, M'lady........

gerrupta singh.

ladyfly
13th May 2005, 11:14
I know that there is no guarantee with any job, especially the aviation industry.

redsnail
13th May 2005, 12:42
Ladyfly,
Have you contacted the BWPA? I believe they offer some financial awards to worthy applicants.

good luck

Princess Fiona
14th May 2005, 08:20
Ladyfly

Here's the link to the Thomsonfly sponsorship scheme.

http://www.flighttrainingeurope.com/application.html#

Good luck :ok:

PF

Edited to fix link. Scroggs.

scroggs
14th May 2005, 10:18
Princess Fiona, you might want to check your sources. The Thompsonfly/FTE setup is not a sponsorship. As far as I can see, it is funded entirely by the student.

Scroggs

Dirty Mach
16th May 2005, 20:40
my copy arrived this morning, and it looks like BACX are doing a sponsorship - good luck all!

Mattd
17th May 2005, 01:06
BACX are doing sponsorship or are you talking about the FTE Jerez scheme?

Matt