PDA

View Full Version : C130 Navigation

rafloo
4th May 2005, 08:29
Guys, A serious question for the truckies.

Every night in the RW night flying region there is a Notam issued which describes a series of low flying C130's on a standard route with check points (plus/minus 15 mins) and anywhere between GL and 2500' ???

What are you guys doing? why the same route ?

ZH875
4th May 2005, 11:05
Its probably a Herc J Model, with no Navigator, they must learn to find their way out of secret wilts airbase and back again, the easiest way is to use a pre planned route and fly, fly, fly it until the one-winged wonders get as good as the half-winged ones.

Arty
4th May 2005, 12:25
Yawn.......Another unfunny reply from the bitter pilot hater. Makes one wonder why you come out with such cr@p.

Training Risky
4th May 2005, 14:20
Sorry to be a pedant, but there is no such thing as a half-winged wonder. Navs and rear-crew have one whole wing, while pilots have 2 wings, hence the phrase: A pair of wings, or, the 2-wing master race!

SilsoeSid
4th May 2005, 14:33
At last, someone else who is a fan of the works of the British playwright, 'Sir Arthur Wing Pinero'. (1855 - 1934)

Probably his finest quote is, "Stop acting as if life is a rehearsal. Live this day as if it were your last. The past is over and gone. The future is not guaranteed."

Basterdised to the modern cliche of 'Life is not a rehersal'.

Of course it was rumoured that Sir Arthur wanted to be a Nav for the Wright Brothers, but they told him they didn't need one.

In retrospect a big mistake, as the first flight would have been much longer if Orville knew how to read a map, instead he had to land after such a short time to ask the way! :=

SS

p.s. Thanx to the J crew who flew over BJ the other night. If you hadn't have blind called, we wouldn't have seen you!

Logistics Loader
4th May 2005, 17:16
Often see them low level following M4 from the bridge, turning right at Leigh Delamere services to get on approach...

Different ball game in fog lol !!!

Yeller_Gait
4th May 2005, 20:44
Can't imagine that the C130 GPS is too different to everyone elses, so it goes something like....

Start of mission ... GPS on

End of mission ... GPS off

not too difficult really

One day (soon) there will be no more flight deck navigators.

KPax
4th May 2005, 21:40
And if all else fails you can always ask your friendly Approach Controller to give you the oustanding Talkdown that we provide in Wiltshire.

SilsoeSid
4th May 2005, 22:02
Gents, PPRuNe at the moment has me spluttering my coffee with most of the threads going on at the moment.

The latest coffee splutter is the post above from KPax;
And if all else fails you can always ask your friendly Approach Controller to give you the oustanding Talkdown that we provide in Wiltshire. KPax, from:Scotland

Now that is outstanding. Respect. :ok:

("Respect" was not a party political statement!)

Irish Steve
5th May 2005, 19:57
And if all else fails you can always ask your friendly Approach Controller to give you the oustanding Talkdown that we provide in Wiltshire.

From many memories of driving along the M4, and watching smokey trails going round in circles, or looking across the road to see a 130 passing by at almost eye level, :D I suspect that in more than a few cases, it would be a talk UP to get back in :E :E :E

pinger
6th May 2005, 18:56
Serious answer to the question. It is generally the J's and we put a notam in as a safety net in case we cannot get the 5's as is usually the case. Because we are so short of aircraft, as the K's are frightened to deploy operationally, often a boring west country route for an NVG tick or to complete a live drop on SPTA is the only option. Unfortunately because our nav kit is so good we often do follow the exact line to split second accuracy. The + or - 15 minutes is a throw back to the K's.

SmilingKnifed
6th May 2005, 19:36
And there's the signal for more North/South side willy waving.:zzz:

Carbide Finger
6th May 2005, 19:45
Sorry, a bit off thread but what do the C130 crews think of the SIREN departure from EGDL?

StopStart
6th May 2005, 20:48
pinger - not terribly helpful :rolleyes:

Carbide - erm. It's a white line on the nav radar....? No? Ok then, whilst there is a need to get the height on before joining the airway it would be nice if there was something that didn't involve us still being in the Lyneham overhead ten minutes after departure.....:{

So, just to clarify then: it's quarter to ten on a Friday night and I'm discussing SIDs on the internet. Think I'll just pop downstairs and quickly slam my genitals in the fridge door.....

k1rb5
6th May 2005, 23:58
you should be http://www.smilies-world.de/smilies/smilies_Picture/essen___trinken/21http://www.smilies-world.de/smilies/smilies_Picture/party_smilies/19.gif

Always_broken_in_wilts
7th May 2005, 00:14
Split second accuracy and a "clean smelling" flightdeck.........perfect:E

all spelling mistakes are "alcohol" induced

theboywide
8th May 2005, 22:56
When we do NVG low-level in either the Js or the Ks we generally put a notam route into the rotary region (pretty much all south of the south wales coast) just in case either we don't get our bids into the LFA5 night regions (all of wales) or if the weather is pants in sheepyland. This pretty much allows us flexibility to go and train no matter what the weather! Anyone inferring this is a north/south thing, the low flying handbook is the big blue folder stopping the fridge from wabbling!

Neeps
9th May 2005, 00:37
Rather than start a new thread....I have a question about Js and Ks and the A400Ms that are due in. Maybe somone could help? I've heard different information about what the role of the A400Ms are going to be. Are they eventually to replace all Js and Ks?

theboywide
9th May 2005, 23:04
I think the original plan was to have the A400M alongside the C130J when the K retired. The K has now been extended to 20xx (insert latest figure!) but well past the A400M ISD and will prob remain the SF platform for a while yet.

Neeps
10th May 2005, 12:25
So not really a replacement anymore then? I couldn't really understand the numbers, but then I'm looking at a more than likely outdated AFCO Aircraft and Weapons book! Ta for the information, its appreciated.