PDA

View Full Version : Happy anniversary Maggie

lasernigel
4th May 2005, 07:37
Today is the 26th anniversary of Margaret Thatcher becoming the first woman Prime minister and the longest serving one.
Would we be better off if she hadn't or not?
IMHO she did a lot of good things and OK hand on heart some not so good.

"Where there is discord, may we bring harmony. Where there is error, may we bring truth. Where there is doubt, may we bring faith. And where there is despair, may we bring hope."

WTF has BLIAR to offer

Duckbutt
4th May 2005, 07:48
I confess I cannot understand how you can post that quote from Thatch and call Blair a liar whilst (I assume) keeping a straight face.

Wingswinger
4th May 2005, 08:00
It's all a matter of degree. Bliar doesn't know when he's telling the truth. The man is Walter Mitty. You should've heard him with John Humphries on the Today prog. this a.m.

Anyway, yes, Happy Anniversary, Maggie. The woman who turned the UK around and, incidently, made the Labour party electable again. Unfortunately. The Law of Unintended Consequences, je crois.

cavortingcheetah
4th May 2005, 08:14
:p How can you possibly compare that little worm with Walter Mitty?
Have you ever seen Danny Kaye in the role? Pricelessly funny.
Maggie: Why ever did I not get a knighthood for 'The South African Falkland Islands Appeal Fund.'?:p

timmcat
4th May 2005, 09:08
OK - never participated in a political thread before, but...

Love her or despise her, the best leader this country has ever had. The reason the tories will lose the third election on the trot is because they did'nt have the balls to have Portillo up front when they had the chance.

The Greaser
4th May 2005, 09:19
Spot on Timmcat, the party is now so spineless it is scared of having people of flare and charisma on the frontline (see also Boris Johnson)

PilotsPal
4th May 2005, 09:42
I remember 3 May 1979 very well. Two days before I got married, which was also Two Thousand Guineas day at Newmarket. Arrived hideously late at church as my father insisted on staying home to watch it (Tap on Wood, ridden by Steve Cauthen, 7/1).

BombayDuck
4th May 2005, 10:59
I thought the Israeli woman, Golda Whatshername was the first woman Prime Minister?

Or did you mean England only? Then she'd be the only one, right?

Parapunter
4th May 2005, 11:05
I agree with that Cheerio, the first rule of politics has to be get elected & Labour had no chance with foot, just as the Tories have no chance with the last three spineless no-marks. I honestly think they missed their chance with Ken Clarke, who goes over with the voters a treat. I guess he was just too eurofriendly for the old guard to stomach.

tony draper
4th May 2005, 11:13
I think Ceylon had the first Lady Prime Minister Mr Duck, Missus Bandra thingy.
:rolleyes:

Wedge
4th May 2005, 15:00
As I said on the election thread, Stephen Fry summed up Maggie's career best:

"Well of course, he's absolutely right, it is ludicrously easy to knock Mrs Thatcher. It's the simplest, easiest and most obvious thing in the world to remark that she's a shameful, putrid scab; an embarrassing ludicrous monstrosity who makes one feel frankly ashamed to be British and that her ideals and standards are a stain on our national history. That's easy. Anyone can see that. There's nothing difficult about that."

:E

Nick Riviera
4th May 2005, 15:50
Would that be the Stephen Fry who ran away like a girlie to another country when he got a bad review, thus leaving his fellow actors out of work? Just the person to speak for the country.

Maxflyer
4th May 2005, 16:31
I constantly hear Mr Howard carping on about what he would do for British Society, he may well have forgotten what his old boss said,

There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families.

She also said,

I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left.

I think Mr Blair may take heart from that.

Personally I think the whole bloody lot of MPs in this country should be sent to the moon with a one way ticket.

tony draper
4th May 2005, 17:05
One was not a great fan of hers but she had the right amount of contempt for the EU, can't picture Maggie advocating a yes to their poxy constitution, she wudda told em to stick it up their fat corrupt arses.
:cool:

B Fraser
4th May 2005, 17:16
The day when "that woman" turns up her toes will be a national holiday in Scotland. She unleashed the Poll Tax on the Scots a year early so the bugs could be ironed out before it was rolled out in England.

I remember Paddy Ashdown (a former Commando) stating that if he was elected PM then it would be the first time that a trained killer had made it to number 10. ........... the lady occupier was obviously self-taught :uhoh:

she did sort out the BA tails though :ok:

Wedge
4th May 2005, 17:28
Watch it Fraser, you'll upset the Tory boys.....;)

acbus1
4th May 2005, 17:49
Maggie? :yuk:

Screwed up the NHS.

Screwed up affordable dentistry.

Screwed up the State Pension.

Screwed Scargill.

Forced the unions v employers balance too far in favour of employers.

......OK, I'll let her off the Scargill one.

B Fraser
4th May 2005, 19:44
Watch it Fraser, you'll upset the Tory boys.....

ooooooh, I'm scared :eek:

Ken Clarke is the only one that I had any time for however my local MP is Boris J so that makes two. At least Boris has the balls to speak his mind if not the brains to know when to be subtle. As for the rest of them......:yuk:

Regarding "She who did not cast a shadow"...... Kenneth Baker was so far up the Iron Lady's @rse, he could see Cecil Parkinson's ankles.

(I hope the Mods have a sense of humour and don't pull this post)