PDA

View Full Version : Zone alarm dramas

The Voice
3rd May 2005, 23:16
Hello to a guru ..

I have recently taken ownership of a new desktop. Ditched Norton as it was a pain the proverbial, downloaded AVG, adaware personal tweaked all as per the FAQ info, and wasn't too sure whether I needed to or not, but downloaded Zone Alarm (the free one) as a firewall. (Mainly due to the links in FAQ and the leaktest thingee which said that the computer was not untouchable! this was in spite of having the XP firewall on and working - all other tests proved 100% stealth,)

Now that I have downloaded Zone Alarm, I cannot get the bluddy thing to run .. keep getting an error message about it not being a valid win32 application.

What does this mean? How do I make it one?

Irish Steve
3rd May 2005, 23:36
What does this mean? How do I make it one?

What I suspect it means is that the version you've got is not the right one for XP, or that the download got corrupted somehow.

First checks would be to make sure that it's the correct and most up to date version of ZA, and if it is, then I'd be tempted to try downloading it again to make sure that there's no corruption in the file.

If you're using XP home, ignore this, if XP Pro, make sure that you have administrator rights for the sign on you are using, if you don't that will also upset the install.

BlueEagle
4th May 2005, 00:45
On my XP Pro you have to shutdown the XP firewall to get the Zone Alarm one to work properly.

Norton AV works just fine with ZA, I find, but not the rest of the Norton security package.