PDA

View Full Version : Palm Jumeirah and other artificial islands

guybrush
3rd May 2005, 17:27
Hi all?

Just wondering, is it true that the artificial Palms and islands being built in the sea at Dubai are dangerous to the aquatic environment? If it is true, could someone cite sources or post links?

Thanks,
guybrush

Payscale
3rd May 2005, 18:52
Try www.dangerousaquaticpalmsindubai.com
or www.nakheel.com comsumer dept.

Good luck

guybrush
5th May 2005, 00:44
Very funny payscale.

Seriously though, no one complained about anything? I read somewhere on this forum that the environmental impact could have been ignored. But I hope they aren't true. These projects are MASSIVE and so ambitious! Boils down to money at the end dosen't it?

cheers:ok:
guybrush

Fly Through
5th May 2005, 23:27
Don't know about the environmental studies but having tried diving off Dubai I'd say the whole ecosystem is screwed. It'll take a long time before the whole place settles again and any currents settle down out there.

typhoonpilot
6th May 2005, 09:10
For generic information on the topic of beach erosion, coastal armoring, sewage runoff, etc look at http://www.surfrider.org

TP

cargosales
6th May 2005, 09:22
Almost certainly wrecking the ecosystem.

Not too clever for people either though. There has been a big increase in the number of sharks sighted close inshore. Maybe attracted by the noise or disturbance in the water? Hammerheads and another I can't remember right now.

The perfect accompaniement for that beach holiday in paradise :}

CS

fractional
6th May 2005, 09:45
Environment? If it mattered this wouldn't happen in that scale. It would be more prudent and everonmentally friendly, had they gone in land to"fight" the desert head-on?
The 4 month extreme Summer weather (not to say 5 or 6) will never permit the Gulf to prosper in the numbers they anticipate. Only very wealthy (and how many?) will be willing to buy properties to live in for 4 or 5 months in a year. And, really, how many days will Beckam, Rod Steward, Elton John, etc., speand on the World Islands?
The offshore islands and their agressive ad campaign are just a way, like everything else, to make a quick billion AEDs for those who can afford it. Environment? The hell with it?
Sorry state of affairs unfortunately. Good luck Earth!

Chimbu chuckles
8th May 2005, 02:55
cargosales you will find that the sharks are not attracted for the reasons you sight...if there really are more sharks, rather than a perception of more sharks, it will be for some other reason.

I have spent a LOT of time in the water with sharks while diving all over PNG and increased activity drives them away. Often we would dive a spot that had either never been dived before or at the very least dived infrequently and be almost chased from the water by large numbers of hammerheads, silvertips, grey reef whalers etc...other spots that were dived frequently we rarely saw any sharks beyond the odd grey reef whaler or white tip reef shark.

Has there been a meat processing factory built on the coast there recently? That will attract sharks...as they discovered when they built one on the coast just west of Madang township and all of a sudden the local population of Tiger Sharks went through the roof and, from memory, 4 or 5 people were fatally attacked in 4-6 mths:ugh:

scrubed
8th May 2005, 16:29
big increase in the number of sharks sighted Sounds like BS. How many have YOU seeen??? attracted by the noise or disturbance in the water
you don’t know much about sharks, do you…..??????