PDA

View Full Version : Nationwide - min. req

trubru
3rd May 2005, 14:12
Can anyone here tell me what the minimum requirements for Nationwide is, heard allsorts...
And if there are any Nationwide pilots around here, just let us know what it's like working there.

Shot!

Captain Pheremone
3rd May 2005, 14:40
Requirements definate passion for flying cos you not going to get paid for it

I got in on approx 4000 hrs TT (2500 chopper - 1500 fixed) but only
80 hrs Twin.

Fly 100 hrs/month for Approx R 11 000.00/month ...Eishhh...how did I last so long.???????

Command comes very quickly in relation to most Airlines. Pilots in general are OK, but you get the odd aresh_le everywhere in life.

Enjoy.

trubru
3rd May 2005, 17:41
Got a def. passion for flying, +/- 2000hrs TT, GrII 600hrs, 30hrs Twin, ATP subjects and wouldn't mind doubling my salary.:}
Thank the heavens above that men don't really "have to be" the breadwinners anymore...
C U in the not too distant future or over the next silver lining!

Shot!:ok:

LAMBERTUS
3rd May 2005, 18:23
Does Nationwide even take any pilots that doesnt have R150000 lying around?

trubru
3rd May 2005, 18:43
150 Big goons eh?
I've heard 120, 128 & now 150.
The amount of people that want to do "pay as you go" must be on the increase.
Can anyone confirm this amount?

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd May 2005, 19:34
Problem is the next guy who rolls in with 150 gorillas clutched in his sweaty paw will get preference insofar as the previous person getting: A.) Sidelined B.) Discarded.

There's just no protection under that system. :(

sky waiter
4th May 2005, 06:21
I worked for CE as cabin crew before leaving to complete my comm. Approx two months ago they were advertising for boy pilots on the 767, 500TT with turbine time. Was just short with no turbine rating so didn't help, they ended up taking 1500+ guys, but it varies. If you have the money i heard as low as 800hrs but not sure how that has been broken up. Otherwise normally 1500hrs with twin time is the norm not sure on the turbine requirement. The pilots do fly very hard, close to the limit and FO's as previously stated earned round 11000. I wana go back i miss the airline, enjoyed every minute, just want to drive the aircraft now! :ok: :ok: :ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
4th May 2005, 06:44
If that's R11000-00 take home, it's not too cruddy if you then add allowances. If it's before tax and including allowances, VB saw you coming with your wad of filthy lucre, and yea, he didst relieve you of the burden whilst adding to thine sum of knowledge, ie, don't get taken again.

Paying for your own rating and earning barely enough to cover the loan repayments and a ham sandwich doesn't make for happy crews.

trubru
4th May 2005, 09:35
Happyness is relative...:O :O :O

Captain Pheremone
4th May 2005, 11:49
BEFORE I get jumped on by current F/O's cos it might have changed (not much).....Gross 11k/month...take home after tax...approx 9k/month plus approx 1.5k S&T total take home 10.5(for international comparison thats $1750).

No medical aid, no provident fund, no loss of licence......pathetic.

Same F/O position with SAA....Gross in the upper 30k's, medical aid, provident fund, credit cards, vehicle alowances S&T etc take home mid 20's and up.

Bit better....seeing that the works the same.

Zoltan
4th May 2005, 12:06
As with everything in live, all things have their pros and cons...

Work for Nationwide for 11,000 , fly 1000hrs a year, command in +- 3 years where you can then actually start living on the salary you earn.

Work for SAA, (not likely if your a pale male) fly the radio for +-3 years, sit as an F/O for what.. 15 years before you get command ?

Personally I would rather take the punch and FLY for 3 years with a crappy salary, get command and move on to a overseas carrier.

Now, to just get R150 000 somewhere....

B Sousa
4th May 2005, 15:52
"Now, to just get R150 000 somewhere...."
Lets look at things where money seems to be plentiful for the indigenous folks.
Cash in transit heists seem to be the latest rage. One does have to share with "Team" members, if they survive, but the amounts reported seem to be sufficient that one or two will allow you to move on to the Airlines.
Investment/ Real Estate/ Medical Schemes also are doing well, considering if it is heavily involved with "Black Empowerment". ( Bigger base of Investors). With a good portion of the Income to the Lawyers, one can still walk away unscathed with Millions of Rand.
I see lots of opportunity for acquiring large sums in Africa. Most all of the Government leaders are doing well. One could interest them in Investing in your future. They all seem to bite on plans where" If it sounds to good to be true" and they have to hide their money somewhere. Hey, One for me, one for you, one for me....goes a long way when one is fleecing the taxpayer.
I think we need further advice from one of my favorite consultants. Solid Rust Twotter. After a few Brewskis, he can no doubt make a plan........
R150k......such a miniscule amount........j

TooBadSoSad
4th May 2005, 16:15
Why don't you guys form a union?? Vernon would not be able to weather a strike. You need to protect yourselves and your futures!!

trubru
4th May 2005, 19:08
A little bit of cash on side never hurt anyone.:cool:
Fly a fluffy during the week, entertain some fluff during the weekend- 'cos ya just made some cash on the way back from airport......:E :E :E

blood brother
4th May 2005, 22:08
Some people fly because they love to as well as for a living. Don’t ruin other people’s careers. Just because daddy is prepared to pay how ever much it is don’t think you are a special pilot. Do you think SAA have those requirements for the same job because they consider it as a joke, or some form of hour building exercise for some brat who wants to go to another overseas airline? What about the passengers in the back? Do you think they would be happy knowing who is in front, the richest not the best! VB races cars on the weekends. Stop sponsoring him he’s not even good. You’re a fool

Captain Pheremone
5th May 2005, 10:34
What about the passengers in the back? Do you think they would be happy knowing who is in front, the richest not the best!

I thought I told you.....I left!!!:D

Just for info Nationwide 737 capt $3800 - $4000 /month no benifits.

trubru
5th May 2005, 12:44
To BB re.
"Some people fly because they love to as well as for a living."
R u insinuating that some people only fly for the money.:eek:
Here's how it works:
1. I have security for the sum of money 'cause i had a real job before this.
2. I go to the bank and get the money and pay for the rating.
3. Gross minus Tax plus SNT minus loan repayment equals +/-R8000.
Now from where i'm standing that's still a R2500/month increase for me and in the long term getting some Medium weight experience can't be that bad...:ok:
Now where does daddy fit into this scenario?:ouch:
Assumption is the MOTHER of all F-ups.

Once again my ten cents worth.
Shot-bru!:ok:

Zoltan
5th May 2005, 14:43
blood brother

Pick up your dummy, sit down and listen :

Why do people always automatically assume daddy pays ? Sure there are some, but not everyone. Some people actually go and work their asses off on contract in some war torn country to get unrivalled experience and hopefully some money (and if youre really lucky you will get some malaria thrown in for free). Dont you think after spending all that time away from home the person has a right to choose this option if he wants, if he made enough money ?

Our national carrier has basically turned its back on us, so what are we to do ? Moan like you ? More and more airlines tend to go this route anyway, a filthy pratice originating in the US, where ratings are also much cheaper..

Just because SAA requires 15 years for command doesnt mean other crews around the world are not at the same , if not higher, standard than SAA crews. At Cathay a competent pilot can get command in as little as 5 years.

Get off your horse, and open your eyes to the real world out there old boy, lots of us would rather have followed the airforce - airline route but unfortunately that road has now been closed. Time to explore other avenues if you have any available to you..

Have a beer on me :ok:

fluffyfan
6th May 2005, 20:44
There was one good suggestion here in previous post....form a union, and make it powerful, then VB will have to fair to you guys, you guys need to stand together, I heard about that whole 737-400 (400, 500 not to sure) saga, all the pilots agreed not to pay bond.............first two guys go on course and what do they do? sign a bond ......................Why are we our own worst enemys? (pilots that is) Nationwide could not be in a better position at the moment, SAA seems intent on saving itself to a profit, the joke here is that we save money on e-ticketing and other stupid projects yet our new CEO comes to work in a :mad: helicopter (true story)..............everyone else expanding...........good for you, just wish VB was fair.........my wife who is a teacher takes home more than a FO with you guys (another true story)

Beta Light
7th May 2005, 00:52
the joke here is that we save money on e-ticketing and other stupid projects yet our new CEO comes to work in a helicopter.

And slowly fluffy fan is seeing the light..... this is what everyone has been talking about ...it is not S.A.A. bashing, it is about how the game is played. If this happen in a listed company the share holders would have him out of there in record time.

trubru
7th May 2005, 08:05
I'm also starting to see the light and it looks a bit like an oncoming train to me!
Why doesn't Nationwide have a union?
I think the biggest problem at the moment is that no aspiring pilot gets told, by the air school thats going take his money(not that they ever will tell the client that anyway), that the market is so overstocked with new pilots and even reasonably well experienced pilots that are all jobless and the future looks pretty grim to them... Now ad a little affirmative action to that and you'll cook a nice "affal"(Tripe - cooking with left overs!)
And the next thing that happens, unfortunate to the guy who made debt to do his Comm., is that the guys/gals with more money will end up moving ahead. :{ :{

sky waiter
7th May 2005, 12:24
Hate to break it to you but nationwide does have a union, sorry to burst everyones bubble, they have actually made improvements to the pilots, cabin crew and ground personnels salary, not sure on the amounts but MR Bricknell is a business first and foremost and not that easy to get around, lots of guys willing to pay so why should he worry?

It pays for his cars... But that said he does work very hard and from a few years ago when CE was about to close down to where it is now, a huge improvement!!! But at the expense of all his staff. At least they have jobs though unlike sun air, intensive care, sun air again etc etc..... Yes i know SAA had a hand in sun air so before everyone starts on that they tried it at CE too but they survived mainly because of VB so everyone has to take the pro's and cons and weigh them up and decide where they wana be and go.

As said earlier I still want to go Back so definately don't have the money to pay for the rating but would sign a bond anyway, now just need those hours! :E

fluffyfan
7th May 2005, 18:28
Beta light, I have said in numerous posts that We (the Pilots) have serious issues with management, the problem I have is with certain guys saying things like "SAA unsafe" "SAA dropping standards" "SAA on the verge of closing down"..................there are a few others, and you know what I am talking about because you have probably contributed to some of them.

What is a Beta light ? something to do with a helicopter? honestly dont know, but also dont know why you joining the anti SAA forum, you say you are based in Asia, why is SAA so important to you that you feel you must kick the name SAA every time you see it appear in a forum?:suspect:

birdlady
7th May 2005, 19:11
When are these f****** going to wake up and realise you get what you pay for :mad: :mad: :mad: After spending all that money for training and Im not just talking about the type rating I mean from scratch and then they expect you to be able to pay back your loans. NOT A CHANCE IN HELL. With the way food and property prices are going at the moment your expected to live on that piddly sum :confused: :confused:

They have the cheek to start going on about opening the industry to previously disadvantaged persons - where is this person supposed to get the money - sponsorship????? - well as far as I know Nationwide never had a sponsorship program - it came from SAA which has now suspended their program. So, they have a quota from the government to hire so many of these previously disadvantaged people - where do they go - to pilots who are NOT qualified to fly the big boys. The result - SAFETY IS COMPROMISED. Forget student loans - most banks will not pay for a pilots licence.

I dont mean to compare but Ryan Air (I know their pilots are having major problems with management at the moment) offers a FO 30 000 euros a year. Thats just for starters. You do have to pay a great deal more to get the rating but it is a salary that a young pilot can survive on. Dont get me wrong, I love what I do. Will I ever work for an airline - NO WAYS IN HELL. I said that from day 1 before I even knew what the pay was like and what it involved. Ask me now if I would ever fly for the airlines ......... HELL WOULD HAVE TO FREEZE OVER AND PIGS WOULD HAVE TO LEARN HOW TO FLY then I might consider it :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

Solid Rust Twotter
7th May 2005, 19:29
Now, now, Birdlady. Don't beat about the bush so much. Get down off that fence and tell us what you really mean.:E :ok:

B Sousa
7th May 2005, 21:42
SRT
She sounds like someone who could match you Beer for beer...........

birdlady
8th May 2005, 15:31
SRT ......... I dont believe in beating around the bush :E :E ;) ;)
B Sousa ............... Probably :uhoh: :uhoh: :ok:

Beta Light
9th May 2005, 12:27
............sorry, thought she said eating..

REAL ORCA
9th May 2005, 19:48
:} :} :} :} :} :}