PDA

View Full Version : I'd like to thank .....

3rd May 2005, 11:51
'I'd like to thank ...' isn't something seen much around here. However, there is ample on how bad others are at doing their jobs. This is ok, people need to vent spleens on some of the appalling 'jobsworths' going around, but what about the good stuff that goes on, when people do help each other? There must be a wealth of good (and humerous) stories out there, whether or not you got to say thanks at the time.

So how about a thread where the pat on the back isn't a recce for a knife?

Some 'guidance'?:

1. Must include 'I'd like to thank'
2. No congratulating 'your own' unless it is for something other than work.
3. No unit hugs eg 'all on Y Sqn from A to B'
4. If you have nothing positive to say, don't post.

I'll start with

I'd like to thank the SMO who got me back from Det when we were on a fertility programme!

Background: My flight was due to go on a month long training det at a critical time. My FS could easily stand in for me, but the boss was having none of it (without the whole can of beans being spilled). Doc understood the stresses and wrote to boss saying I couldn't do the whole det. Did 50/50 with my FS and got a son as a result. Didn't get a chance to thank him when the news came along as he was posted.

BEagle
3rd May 2005, 12:09
I'd like to thank Sgt Les Rodda for having given 4 cheesed-off 99 Entry B Squadron Flight Cadets a lift from the South Brick Lines at RAFC Cranwell to Grantham railway station after their taxi failed to turn up at the end of term.

That was in 1968. Can't recall anyone having done anything so kind, generous and practical to help me since then....

Echo 5
3rd May 2005, 12:30
I would like to thank all, and I mean ALL, PPRuners who have amused me and kept me chuckling for the past couple of years. I am quite serious and not taking the pi$$.

Regards to all,

E5

joe2812
3rd May 2005, 13:55
Like Echo i'd also like to thank the Prooners here on the Mil forum especially BEagle, The Maintainer, stiknruda, woody0381, Dirty Sanchez, airborne_artist and any other guys who have made the effort to contribute to my threads and offer advice both by pprune and e-mail on my aspirations to join up after Uni.

The advice I have received has been invaluable and appreciate you all going out of your way to help.

Also to those with the wicked sense of humour. :p

:ok:

Door Slider
3rd May 2005, 13:56
I'd like to thank MACR Warren for being the fairest most conscientious boss one could hope to have. It was a pleasure to work for him. He is sadly missed from the SH florce.

Tarnished
3rd May 2005, 14:25
Cool, what a good idea.

I'd like to thank Mr Ralph Birch (surgeon) who performed a nerve transplant in my arm which got me through my first ejection and allowed me to get a flying Cat back ( A3, G4, Z5, unfit all aircraft except Lightning! Unfit parades and marching.) BJ Aldington and the SMO also played a big part in providing the supporting evidence to the Medical Board.

I'd like to thank Mr John Webb (surgeon) (who most ejectees will know) for keeping me out of a wheelchair following my second ejection. His handy work here: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v463/penric/xray.jpg

Finally, I'd like to thank Mrs T and all the T children for their love and support over the years and some very difficult times.

There are many more too, but bandwidth prevents me - oh and company policy too.

T

airborne_artist
3rd May 2005, 15:13
I'd like to thank Flt Lt (retd) Maule, who sent me solo for one circuit in Chippie WD374 on Nov 20th 1978 - still my only taildragger solo time, but I hope not my last.

SmilingKnifed
3rd May 2005, 15:26
I'd like to thank Flt Lt Chris Witts for being the fairest bloke I ever flew with and leaving a lasting impression about how things should be done.

Daz R, Ben M, Weardo, Jimmy R, Chap and TrainingRisky too. How's life lads?

D-IFF_ident
3rd May 2005, 17:00
I'd like to thank the previous Stn Cdr of RAF Brize Norton for disagreeing with both my 1RO and my 2RO and recommending me for promotion. Top work fella!

Maple 01
3rd May 2005, 17:02
I'd like to thank the two Johns (RAFP!) and WO L-F who helped me run down the Tac-int at a former secret radar station somewhere in East Anglia

Thanks guys for your advice, patience and help disposing of all the stuff without which I'd probably be doing a stint in Colchester for losing.......well, you know......

soddim
3rd May 2005, 17:43
I'd like to thank Mr R J Mitchell for designing the best fighter I ever flew.

Echo 5
3rd May 2005, 18:05
soddim,

I would never have put you as being that old.
Sorry.........I digress.

Regards,

E5

buoy15
3rd May 2005, 18:10
I'd like to thank Air Cmdr John Pack for being a great bloke, and the best Stn Cdr ISK ever had.

However, behind every great man, there is a good woman, so I will include Shirley as well.

P-T-Gamekeeper
3rd May 2005, 18:16
I would like to thank Localiser for taking the time to write up the BA assessment thread after he had already passed the day. Not many would have bothered, and hopefully it will help me soon!

P.S. If anybody would care to write one about Virgin.....!

Jackonicko
3rd May 2005, 18:29
I'd like to thank Wing Commanders Al Gross and (doh!) Jarvis, and Squadron Leaders Jock Byrne, Colin Patterson and especially Don Merriman. Excellent flying instructors, one and all (as were the Flight Lieutenants on the Squadron at the time) but also highly experienced and truly inspirational aviators.

I wonder what became of any or all of them.

Safeware
3rd May 2005, 18:48
I'd like to thank my UAS QFI and mentor, the then Flt Lt Mike Fairbairn, for his perseverance in teaching an engineer how to fly and setting an all round good example. A great instructor, great fun and a fine example of an officer.

On doing circuits prior to 1st solo - "flare, flare, FLARE, too late"

sw

Spacer
3rd May 2005, 19:01
Sadly too many to thank, but as anyone who knows me, knows me by this nickname, anyone that has helped me get to where I am now, and also for the future (if its allowed)... anyone that will get me to where I want to be!

Apologies for it being random, but the masses know who they are, and I wouldn't want to pick out any particular people, as a lot of people have spared a lot of time for me.

exleckie
3rd May 2005, 19:05
I'd like to thank Nottingham CIO for letting me in the RAF as a Leckie techie. I actually wanted to be a chef but they said I should be a leckie.

Top marks guys.

BEagle
3rd May 2005, 19:10
I'd also like to thank a very naughty little WRAF Plt Off for making Aircrew Reselection at Biggin Hill so much fun many years ago...

She shall remain nameless!

Spotting Bad Guys
3rd May 2005, 19:25
Where to start?

The 99 Sqn crew who kindly agreed to get me and a handful of others home from Thumrait in Nov 01 when the T* we should have been meeting had been cancelled three days earlier, and no-one bothered to tell us at Seeb.

My Sqn Cdr who, when I told him I was applying for a commission as an engineer suggested that despite my age (25) and dodgy eyesight I should consider GD(P) and GD(N).....I was selected Nav.

Last and definitely not least, Mrs SBG, who puts up with me and my constant "itchy feet"......7 tours in 10 years commissioned, with 10 op detachments too!

Keep 'em coming!

SBG

:ok:

exleckie
3rd May 2005, 19:35
Also, I'd like to thank Wg Cdr Vic Wallace for reviving me after I suffered a respiratory arrest.

Needless to say, if it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be here now.

althenick
3rd May 2005, 22:30
.. I'd like to thank CPOWEM Phil Hall of HMS Claverhouse fame for helping me me sort out my confidence problem after a bad SQUADEX on HMS Spey in 1992. If it wasn't for him i'd never had made DWEO and would have left the wavy navy under a cloud. As for the t0sser who caused the problem in the 1st place...

I hope you get yours ya git!

Sorry - Bad Memms :uhoh:

Dan Winterland
4th May 2005, 11:14
I'd like to thank another previous Stn Cdr at Brize who knocked me down from a Rec to a UMR, thus making the decision to leave easier. One of the better changes in my life!

212man
4th May 2005, 15:43
jackonicko,
if you mean Colin Patterson, RN, on Bulldogs, then he joined Bristow after leaving the Navy. After several years in Nigeria he is now Aberdeen based.

ACW599
4th May 2005, 16:29
I'd like to thank the late, great Squadron Leader S W T ('Steve') Holding for sending me solo on 4 Mar 73 in Chipmunk WZ 862 at RAF St Athan and thereby changing the course of my life.

RIP Sir, much loved and much missed by UWAS lads and gaps alike.

Krystal n chips
4th May 2005, 17:35
Going back a few years here ---Flt Lt Ken Hoxey, the Stn Nav. O. at Valley--for demonstrating the real concept of team work and leadership--a great person and a true gentleman--I learned a lot from his example--F/Sgts Ken Brown and Ken Fearny--both ex V Crew chiefs--and the two best man managers I ever met in the RAF--plenty of others could have learnt a lot from these two guys--C/T Des Haynes ( Hainse) not sure about the spelling here--for using a lot of common sense at Bruggen--Flt. Lt Jock Manson--for refining my latent dislike of petty jobsworths and inane authority--- as well as for his social skills :ok: and a Lt Col Tom Jones BEM--a "dirty scruffy little Jock"---and somebody, in fact about the only person I would cheerfully and without question have jumped into the proverbial bucket of s$$t for----leadership and management skills in abundance, the history to prove it--and he always led from the front and by example.

The Helpful Stacker
4th May 2005, 17:47
I'd like to thank Sqn Ldr Dai John (since promoted I believe) for a couple of things.

Firstly, when he took the place of one of the SAC's on the TSW Det at Bessbrook so that he could get his GSM he stayed the whole tour and worked his arse off, rather than just doing the 28 days qualifying period and going back to Stafford leaving the site short manned as most officers did.:rolleyes:

Secondly, he and the Wing Co came out to visit us all in Bosnia over Christmas and wouldn't let us put our hands in our pocket all night in the 'Spot 21' bar (no 2 can rule at GV), and this was in the days when I could really drink! :ok:

Truely a gent and someone I'd happily work for again.

Door Slider
5th May 2005, 15:32
Helpfull Stacker,
I would like to thank TSW for providing superb support to SH all over the world. Also, during my 3 years in NI cooking me some ****e meals at Omagh. It was all a laugh though, keep up the good work

exleckie
5th May 2005, 17:55
I would like to thank Chf Tech Al Grisedale (retd 2002) for helping me through one of the most difficult times of my life.

I really must try and track him down. He was one of those types who actually had a spine, took the flak away from the lads and, as long as you told the truth to him about anything, he would fight to the bitter end on your behalf.

Al, I still owe you big beers mate.

The Helpful Stacker
5th May 2005, 18:01
Door Slider - You obviously didn't have the pleasure of me cooking for you then.

PlasticCabDriver
5th May 2005, 20:36
I had some lovely meals at Omagh cooked very nicely indeed by TSW thank you very much, then topped off by banoffee pie from the Christian cafe over by the NAAFI.
Didn't have much choice other than to eat with TSW, despite us being on 10minutes NTM, and the mess being a 5 min run away (I am a crab!), the resident battalion wouldn't let us eat in flying suits in the mess, it was a suit or nothing. Thank you, Sir, nothing it'll be then!

So in addition to TSW, I would like to thank Flt Lt (then anyway) Mike Castle, who managed to re-teach me the entire Tucano BFT/FJLIN syllabus in about 4 hours at the end of the course, so I could do it properly and pass the FHT, which was looking decidely unlikley before he got his hands on me. (oh, and for the ranger to Spangdahlen after the course was over!)

Good work fella.

Hueymeister
5th May 2005, 20:58
Two men spring readily to mind...Sqn Ldr Ced Hughes (OC No 5AEF) who let me be a Staff Cadet all those years ago...he and his staff gave me the encouragement I needed to get where I am now, and Flt Lt Stan Hayward (now 80+) who let me take control of a Chippy at the age of 14 or so...ex Spits recce pilot, also flew the 'Wimpy' Wellington. He came to my wings grad...his eyes welled up with tears as he heard/saw the Mossie from Hawarden fly over. Top blokes. Don't close the AEF's!!!

TheWizard
5th May 2005, 21:08
I'd like to thank MACR Warren for being the fairest most conscientious boss one could hope to have. It was a pleasure to work for him. He is sadly missed from the SH florce.
I would like to thank Door Slider for making me chuckle when I read this!!

Only kidding, Tim is a top bloke but once a SAR Boy always a SAR Boy........;)

stiknruda
5th May 2005, 22:38
Well I'd like to thank Flt Lt's Stringy Vest and Paul Cross for making me feel one of the team whilst at Scampton 20 years ago.

Then I'd like to thank F/L Fred Stokes 293 ANC, for giving me the best bit of advice ever when I was chopped at the end.

And finally, in a perverse sort of way, I'd quite like to thank the c@nt that pushed me down the stairs on 54 IOT that resulted in a year out recovering from having one's kneecap removed from the back of one's knee! Without your help I wouldn't be where I am today and I certainly wouldn't swap it with where ever you are!

Stik

SteveStephens
6th May 2005, 14:10
I would like to thank Lord Dowding and Bomber Harris without which (nuff said)!

Cat5 in the Hat
6th May 2005, 14:47
Sadly too many to thank, but as anyone who knows me, knows me by this nickname, anyone that has helped me get to where I am now, and also for the future (if its allowed)... anyone that will get me to where I want to be!

If you're who I think, is it all our fault for sending you solo at Kenley?

D-IFF_ident
7th May 2005, 04:50
I'd also like to thank both my current Sqn Boss' wife and my Flight Commander's wife.

My wife has been ill for the past few weeks and spending most of her time in bed. They have both arrived at my door, on seperate occasions, bearing enough hot food to feed me and my kids for 2 or 3 days. Amazing.

wiggy
7th May 2005, 05:04
I would also like to thank all those WW2 veterans whose obituaries appear on an almost daily basis in papers such as the Telegraph these days, you know the script..." despite being wounded he held off a Company of....../ she cycled 100 miles through occupied territory to collect the new radio".
Giants truely walked the Earth in those days, these days we get threats of litigation over a broken finger nail.

PlasticCabDriver
7th May 2005, 13:46
D-IFF_ident, you forget, you're in the US now, that was supposed to be just lunch!

Mark IX
7th May 2005, 14:13
I'd like to thank former WO2, now Captain Mick Pendry at the School of Army Aviation for helping generations of students get through the Army Pilot Course. Considering he is a moderately hairy/ugly ex Royal Marine he has a heart of gold and is a gifted instructor to boot(!)

He saved me from myself in the last few weeks of my course when I was on the verge of failure having completely lost all confidence. His patience and good humour were remarkable. He could see that I had some potential and fifteen years later I've proved it to him by becoming an Above Average instructor myself. I try to emulate him in everything I do.

I've seen him work the same miracle on several other students. The Army Air Corps is lucky to have this particular Royal Marine in our midst.

Thank you Mick.

Safeware
8th May 2005, 18:28
I'd also like to thank the Mess Manager at CHOM, early 90s. Can't remember his name, but he was Scottish.

For family reasons, we brought our wedding forward about 6 months, with the idea that it would be 3 weeks after graduation. Sods law meant that plan was scuppered when there wasn't enough of us to do R Sqn and wedding would then be 3 weeks before graduation. Good old families officer refused us a house until after graduation, which also fell just before Easter Grant.

Had a word with nice mess manager and he arranged for Mrs SW to get a spare room on our corridor for the 3 weeks. Cleaners, bless 'em, even tried to find us a double bed! Mrs SW's room became a haven for all those things you didn't have time to tidy away before inspections (for the whole Sqn); Main Sqn were very quizzical about why a nurse kept leaving CHOM as they were forming up in the mornings and the DS had no idea. This was demonstrated by my flt cdr at grad lunch telling all the other parents aorund the table that grad day was the first time I'd seen Mrs SW since the wedding!

Probably the best value bottle of malt I've handed over in thanks :ok:

sw

Tigs2
8th May 2005, 22:17
What a cool Thread!

I would like to thank Chips Carpenter for all his chats in the Tigers den. His advice truely saved my life.

I thank Rich Holmes, Stan Laver, Sean Leach and Nobby VDB for helping me put on the funniest christmas show ever, on a stage, in the desert for 1000 troops in GW1.

I thank those on crew echo, and Mr Evans for not pulling the throttles immediately when i shouted 'throttles' over the channel

I thank OB and Tim Warren for wallace and gromits grand days out, and Matt Lalley for showing me that if you put your mind to it and stick with it you can do anything you want.

Thanks for the memories!

ShyTorque
9th May 2005, 06:35
Tigs2,

Sounds like that Puma sim T/R training was worth the hassle of staying in a nice hotel in Stavanger. ;) Was yours the spider failure?

Tigs2
9th May 2005, 09:27
ShyTorque
How perceptive you are!

Anton Meyer
9th May 2005, 18:14
I would very much like to thank the Herc and Puma mates in Baghdad for getting me where I needed to go while on det.

Whatever your flying pay is, it isn't enough.

ShyTorque
9th May 2005, 18:31
Possibly more perceptive than you might think, as I can also recall your ID (same squadron, slightly different time ;)

'91 or '92, I think it was. You handled it very well. Crewman didn't even get wet, as I recall :ok:

A2QFI
10th May 2005, 06:22
I first flew at the gliding School at Swanton Morley which was a run a by Reserve Flt Lt, Alf Warminger. I then did a flying scholarship at Luton, before it had a surfaced runway, and my instructor was Ted Sessions. Both these gentlemen gave me a very good grounding in the basic skills and I went on to fly for another 40 years. I got a great start and thank you both.

Whipping Boy's SATCO
10th May 2005, 07:08
Norman Buddin (CFI Cleveland Flying School in 1984) for teaching a spotty 17 year old air cadet how to land in a crosswind.

My wife, for making me realise there is more to life than just the RAF.

Stax
10th May 2005, 09:16
Excellent thread.

ILTT: WO Pete Howell of 230 OCU at Scampton for deferring my first ever 6442 (circa 1978). Without him I would be working in Tesco's

ILTT: WO Dave Angood (MBE Ret) All of us who know him can honestly say he is a top, top bloke.

ILTT: The gentlemen of the RAF Regt, who looked after me on two separate tours on two seperate Sqn's.

As an earlier correspondent said, the people who are celebrating VE and VJ day without whom we wouldn't be able to post the type's of criticism's of Bliar and Dracula that we can today.

And of course my wonderful wife and rugrats for being there for me when I have come back from the various "Holidays" that we have to go on as part of our "International police forcing" of the world.

fatter albert
10th May 2005, 12:21
I'd like to thank all the guys of 24/30 (Eng) Sqn, 47/LXX (Eng) Sqn, HLS and FLECS (all at RAF Lyneham) for being a top bunch of guys during a bit of a rubbish time. In particular the guys out in Basra (even the one that had me in front of the General).

You're a fantastic bunch of fellers, all the best for the future.

While I'm at it, thanks to the wider Lyneham community, even (grudgingly) the aircrew.

Oh and the Puma boys that helped us out in Iraq: you have spuds the size of the universe. I don't even mind you getting flying pay.

That'll do for the moment.

Vectoredthrust
10th May 2005, 13:56
I would like to say thank you to all the BAE Dunsfold (and latterly Warton) Test Pilots for all the flying I experienced from 82 to 92.
It was truly the most amazing time and I feel priveleged and humbled to have been allowed to share those flights. In particular I will always remember the aerobatic training advice after my first loop to 'now try one to the right'.
RIP Taylor and Jim.

moony
10th May 2005, 19:11
I would like to thank Sqn Ldr Karen Smart who kicked my backside (as opposed to biting, which was her norm with most people in the Mess), got me out of a rut and convinced me I was ready for better things. Thanks Karen.

4fitter
10th May 2005, 20:20
The respondents on Stupendousman's thread who made me chuckle after a particularly crappy day. Thank you ladies and gentlemen. :ok:

TyroPicard
11th May 2005, 10:12
I would like to thank the Air Force Board for accepting my resignation some 30 years ago - no Board since has made a smarter decision.

TP :cool:

maxburner
11th May 2005, 15:58
I'd like to thank my dad and all his generation for the amazing things they did, with precious little thanks at the time, to keep us from being over-run by the nazis. They were an astonishing generation.