PDA

View Full Version : helicopter bar?

havoc
3rd May 2005, 11:29
Having been in several bars throughout my travels I have not found one that is geared toward helicopter pilots. Well except the Officers club in Ouijonbu Korea with the OH58 tail sticking out of the roof and the cockpit in the hall. (side note the new pilots were expected to complete a daily inspection in the log book.)

Been to many a bar that favored the "hoving impaired"

If I were to open a bar, what would make a good helicopter bar?
SASLess thought it should be called the LZ.

Comments?

pilotwolf
3rd May 2005, 11:39
If I were to open a bar, what would make a good helicopter bar?

Cheap booze, good food and good looking staff!

Free taxi home to those too drunk on the cheap booze to walk/fly.

Plenty of heli parking too!

PW

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
3rd May 2005, 12:01
You could call it The Choppers Arms as well. It would be good to have a sectioned area for shop talk called Hangar Door Is Open where vernacular/swearing etc is permitted (if not encouraged !!).

flyer43
3rd May 2005, 12:05
Bristow at Redhill had (has) the Heli Club, although I don't think that too many pilots frequented it.......

212man
3rd May 2005, 12:07
I belive there are a couple in Malaysia; one called the '61 club', the other the' 76 club'. Can't comment on decor etc. I'm sure some MHS ppruners could elaborate.

Droopy
3rd May 2005, 12:19
This lot might give a bit of a clue... enter and look for the, errr...."bars" link Bristow Bars (http://www.skyweaver.co.uk/)

Me? Top House, Miri, 1982 - 84 ;)

X-QUORK
3rd May 2005, 15:21
The Choppers Arms did indeed exist as a rather horrible establishment just outside the fence at Middle Wallop. Us young Army Air Corps recruits spent many an hour in there chasing the local mingers and downing as much beer as we could before staggering back to the base. I believe the place was either burned to the ground or destroyed by a hurricane in some sort of divine act of justice for crimes against decency.

Another good chopper bar was Spot 15, located at Gornji Vakuf in central Bosnia. Run by the resident AAC squadron and constructed from bits of old Corimec containers and "acquired" timber...we were blessed with an OC who interpreted the two-can rule as being a minimum rather than maximum per 24 hours. Not sure if it still exists, probably not, and anyway I wouldn't recomend the area in general.

B Sousa
3rd May 2005, 15:30
Best one out there is the "Rotor Arms". Its the South African Police Air Wing Pub on the Property of the Police Air Wing in Pretoria South Africa.
Its a must see and have a cool one if you get near that part of the world.
Next best would be the "East African Aero Club" located in Nairobi Kenya at the Wilson Airport...........Have a Tuskers.........."Barridi" The main doors open up to a view of Mt Kilimanjaro....

Aesir
3rd May 2005, 17:17
Air pub in Odense Denmark has a Hughes 300 over the entrance door.

Air Pub (http://www.odensespiseguide.dk/airpub/)

TheFlyingSquirrel
3rd May 2005, 19:10
Remember the Chopper Pub 100 yards outside Battersea Heliport? It was there when I was a kid - called something else horrible now - I remember the large model chopper on top ! It's the kind of place you go in and don't come out again !!!

ColdFiltered
3rd May 2005, 19:30
X-QUORK

I had the dubious honour of being in the Choppers Arms on the night it opened. Wasn't it in an old air-raid shelter or ammo bunker? Memory fades with time! I do know that I never went back.

thechopper
3rd May 2005, 19:42
Apocalypse Now
Saigon (Ho Chi Min City) mid 90s, sandbags, Huey etc
:} :}

The Rotordog
4th May 2005, 02:45
I got the strangest sense of deja vu whilst reading TheFlyingSquirrel's post and I don't know why...don't know why...don't know why...

But if one were going to open a rowdy, helicopter-oriented bar, the only name possible would be......

"JustHelicopters."

Thanka, thankavrymch.

EOT.

havoc
4th May 2005, 06:14
"justhelicopters" would remind me of another forum that is more the "jerry springer" of the internet.

Chinook
6th May 2005, 01:56
There is a corner of some Canberra suburbia (apologies to Rupert Brooke) that is forever 'Bushranger'.

A bar constructed of rocket boxes that used to make up a certain Sqn ops room counter sits proudly under my pergola - known locally as 'The Stab Bar'.

Not a commercial establishment, but any rotorhead passing through Canberra is more than welcome for a beer and a tall story or two about daring deeds what won the empire.

Location and contact details on request.

diginagain
6th May 2005, 02:42
The Gopper's Arms at MW used to be the school for teaching FAC I think, long time ago. Went in twice in my time at Widdle Mollop, once as a customer (sic), once as Canteen Cowboy. Horrid experiences which will haunt me for the rest of my days.

Pub of choice during my Aircrewman's Course was the Poplar Farm Inn.

Then, of course, there was Potthofs!

ifish
7th May 2005, 05:24
Hey Cold Fitered I thought the "Aero " Bar in PHC would have some votes for good value when it's in full swing - your cocktails are to be remembererd. Sounds like I missed a good 30th recently- birthday wishes to Ab*d and regards to all the boys and girls from the Roaring Forties.:D