PDA

View Full Version : Bats!

BlooMoo
3rd May 2005, 07:53
First it was rabbits, now its...

...just discovered that there's bats living in a space above the bedroom ceiling. Basically I want them out of the house as they are a nuisance - they make a hell of a noise in the evening and in any case I suppose I'm slightly phobic about them and feel distinctly uncomfortable in the house now.

I understand that these things are protected and as such I would be quite happy to approach the appropriate conservation body if I felt they would support a course of action that would keep both the bats AND myself happy. However, a voice in the back of my head is telling me that to do the 'correct' thing will result in the full force of jobsworth mentality and half the police in the land imposing the 'rights' of the bats over my own rights in my own home.

Does anyone have any advice here. Constructive comment would be much appreciated. Many thanks.

BM

As I See It
3rd May 2005, 08:00
Poison, and say nothing:ok:

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd May 2005, 08:00
A girlfriend had a guest lodge with a roof full of bats. The guests were never plagued by insects and derived much enjoyment at sunset watching the little guys bale out of the eaves on the nightly sojourns. Always had a soft spot for them so I'm probably not of much use to solve your problem.

Guess it's different if you set it against a great sunset with a glass in your hand....

UniFoxOs
3rd May 2005, 08:05
Whatever you do don't inform any authority. My GF's daughter did this and got a whole load of tree-huggers round to tell her what she had to do to look after the bats.

Find out how they got in (there will be a small hole). At the end of the summer they are supposed to migrate and return next spring. When they have gone block up the access hole and next year they will have to find new accommodation.

Best of luck.

PS I'm with SRT - I'd keep them - they eat insects and anything that does that is on my side.

henry crun
3rd May 2005, 08:25
Why wait until autumn to block up the hole they are using to get into the roof ?

Bats go out at night, so get up in the early hours and block it up so they can't get back in before the sun comes up.

However, if you live near a graveyard make sure you have a good supply of wooden stakes and a mallet handy.

BlooMoo
3rd May 2005, 08:26
I'm with SRT too. I don't actually mind seeing them fly about the place of an evening - especially as they're hoovering up bugs in the process. I just don't want to share my house with them.

I'd be curious if anyone who didn't want bats in their house has got anywhere through 'official' routes. If not (as seems to be the case so far) then I'll take care of them to my own satisfaction. It strikes me that as this is what the majority of people probably do (due to their own interests effectively being dismissed in favour of the bats) then the bat conservation bodies would be, by their own actions, actually causing the activity they wish to inhibit.

BM

ShyTorque
3rd May 2005, 08:36
Bats are a sign of a healthy evironment, like trout in a river. I'd leave them alone to take out the mossies in your garden. They don't cause any real harm and are nothing to be scared of.

Thirty odd years ago, as a teenager, I once shot a "nuisance" flying bat with a freak shot from my airgun. I've regretted it ever since. :(

I was very glad to see a couple of Pipistrelles in our garden last night - they didn't appear at all last year and it quite worried me what had happened to them and to the local environment.

ck4707
3rd May 2005, 08:42
BlooMoo

You might not like what is says, and these people might have a vested intrest in "spinning" the facts but look at this (http://www.bats.org.uk/batlaw/batlaw_in_detail.asp) website.

Hope it is of some help

CK

effortless
3rd May 2005, 08:55
How good is your hifi? Loud music has been known to discourage them. Stockhousen perhaps?

As I See It
3rd May 2005, 08:55
Lets not forget that bats also potentially carry rabies, so not getting too close to the lovely little creatures may be in your best interest (just thought, that probably doesn't make you feel any better about having them in your roof:hmm: ).

Remember it's only As I See It:ok:

BlooMoo
3rd May 2005, 08:58
Many thanks ck. I had already looked at the site - that was when this voice in my head started whispering - so I looked further afield and have got the impression that the bat conservation movement and the law say that if you have bats in your house then tough sh!t coz if you do anything, and that means ANYTHING, that may cause them the slightest inconvenience then we'll treat you as a criminal.

This strikes me not only as a rather imbalanced approach, but pretty poor at conserving bats.

BM

McAero
3rd May 2005, 09:22
Smoke 'em out :cool:

IB4138
3rd May 2005, 12:42
I preferred a heavy size 5 when I was playing cricket.

gets coat and leaves via tradesman's entrance.

effortless
3rd May 2005, 14:27
The music is a serious suggestion. It worked in The Archers.

GeneralMelchet
3rd May 2005, 14:43
BlooMoo,

Put up some bat boxes in trees around your house. Then put a ultrasonic pest scarer in the roofspace (on an extension wired to the mains). The bats will move out to quieter accomodation!! You get rid of the bats - They get new homes.

Do not mention the bats to anyone (friends, neighbours etc.) 'cos if it gets about that you have done anything some doogooder will report you.If any die - I believe the fine is up to 5000/bat!. If its common knowlage you have the bats then leave well alone until the autumn and they leave. They are harmless -although the droppings make a mess.

As I See It
3rd May 2005, 14:44
I guess you'll need linseed oil then:ok:

FLCH
3rd May 2005, 14:47
Umm... I think you should get a bird house and put in your garden to attract a robin. At least then your household would be crime free....

Gouabafla
3rd May 2005, 14:48
First it was rabbits, now its... ... just discovered that there's bats living in a space above the bedroom ceiling.

Just help me out in case I've missed something here. Before the bats moved in, you had rabbits living in the space above your bedroom. Bet they made a heck of a row.

airship
3rd May 2005, 15:39
Poison, and say nothing :ok: The actus reus of incitement is the act of persuading, encouraging or threatening another to commit a crime.

And that's not only as I see it... :hmm:

PS. Bat-droppings make exceedingly good fertiliser... :O

BlooMoo
6th May 2005, 09:09
Many thanks to all for you helpful comments - I especially like your suggestions GeneralM.

As for the rabbits, they were pretty well everywhere except in the house. Just as well really given the mutipronged blitzkrieg strategy that swung into action last year. Pretty effective but the little [email protected]@rds are coming back now - they're obviously not quite getting the message.

Anyway thanks again. I suppose it'll be bees/wasps next...

BM:ok: