PDA

View Full Version : JAA IR to FAA IR??

long final
2nd May 2005, 18:39
Have done a search but didnt find exactly what I am looking for. I have a JAA CPL ME IR and an FAA CPL. I believe I can go to the states and get an FAA IR endorsment without having to do the checkflight, although I will be flying under my JAA IR in the EU.

Could someone fill in the gaps please about how to go about it and what pitfalls I need to be aware off.

Thanks in advance.

LF

B2N2
2nd May 2005, 23:35
Hi Final,

Unfortunately, NO.....
You can add a foreign IR to a US restricted PPL based on a foreign license.
Eg:
One holiday you come over with a JAA PPL and get a US restricted.
Next year you come again, in the mean time you've added a IR to your JAA PPL,
you can now also add this IR to your "restricted" US PPL.
These rules only apply to PPL.
If you had a US restricted with IR this would be easy, pass a US CPL checkride and get the IR added automatically.
Since you already hold a US CPL this will not fly.
You will have todo a US IR checkride up to CPL standards, which means 50' altitude 10 degr. on the heading.
Here the regs:

Sec. 61.75
Private pilot certificate issued on the basis of a foreign pilot license.
(a) General. A person who holds a current foreign pilot license issued by a contracting State to the
Convention on International Civil Aviation may apply for and be issued a private pilot certificate with
the appropriate ratings when the application is based on the foreign pilot license that meets the
requirements of this section.
(b) Certificate issued. A U.S. private pilot certificate that is issued under this section shall specify the
person's foreign license number and country of issuance. A person who holds a current foreign pilot
license issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation may be issued a
private pilot certificate based on the foreign pilot license without any further showing of proficiency,
provided the applicant:
(1) Meets the requirements of this section;
(2) Holds a foreign pilot license that--
(i) Is not under an order of revocation or suspension by the foreign country that issued the foreign pilot
license; and
(ii) Does not contain an endorsement stating that the applicant has not met all of the standards of ICAO
for that license;
(3) Does not currently hold a U.S. pilot certificate;
(4) Holds a current medical certificate issued under part 67 of this chapter or a current medical certificate
issued by the country that issued the person's foreign pilot license; and
(5) Is able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet
one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating
limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft.
(c) Aircraft ratings issued. Aircraft ratings listed on a person's foreign pilot license, in addition to any
issued after testing under the provisions of this part, may be placed on that person's U.S. pilot certificate.
(d) Instrument ratings issued. A person who holds an instrument rating on the foreign pilot license issued
by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation may be issued an instrument
rating on a U.S. private pilot certificate provided:
(1) The person's foreign pilot license authorizes instrument privileges;
(2) Within 24 months preceding the month in which the person applies for the instrument rating, the
person passes the appropriate knowledge test; and
(3) The person is able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is
unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such
operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the
aircraft.
(e) Operating privileges and limitations. A person who receives a U.S. private pilot certificate that has
been issued under the provisions of this section:
(1) May act as a pilot of a civil aircraft of U.S. registry in accordance with the private pilot privileges
authorized by this part;
(2) Is limited to the privileges placed on the certificate by the Administrator;
(3) Is subject to the limitations and restrictions on the person's U.S. certificate and foreign pilot license
when exercising the privileges of that U.S. pilot certificate in an aircraft of U.S. registry operating within
or outside the United States; and
(4) Shall not exercise the privileges of that U.S. private pilot certificate when the person's foreign pilot
license has been revoked or suspended.
(f) Limitation on licenses used as the basis for a U.S. certificate. Only one foreign pilot license may be
used as a basis for issuing a U.S. private pilot certificate. The foreign pilot license and medical
certification used as a basis for issuing a U.S. private pilot certificate under this section must be in the
English language or accompanied by an English language transcription that has been signed by an
official or representative of the foreign aviation authority that issued the foreign pilot license.
(g) Limitation placed on a U.S. private pilot certificate. A U.S. private pilot certificate issued under this
section is valid only when the holder has the foreign pilot license upon which the issuance of the U.S.
private pilot certificate was based in the holder's personal possession or readily accessible in the aircraft.
If you have any more questions, email me.

Keygrip
3rd May 2005, 02:23
B2 - long final is not looking for a licence, he/she is looking to exercise the priviliges of a rating.

What, in the current FAR's, prevents him/her taking the IFP (Instrument Foreign Pilot) written examination in order to exercise the privilidges of his/her foreign (in this case, JAA) instrument rating on his/her current FAA CPL?

Things may well have changed since 9/11 - but it's what I did when I first arrived in the USA. A stand along, "US Test Passed" flight test for CPL with IFP privilidges.

-IBLB-
3rd May 2005, 21:39
It is still possible to take the written test for the "instrument foreign pilot".

from 14CFR61.75
--------
(d) Instrument ratings issued. A person who holds an instrument rating on the foreign pilot license issued by a contracting State to the Convention on International Civil Aviation may be issued an instrument rating on a U.S. private pilot certificate provided:

(1) The person's foreign pilot license authorizes instrument privileges;

(2) Within 24 months preceding the month in which the person applies for the instrument rating, the person passes the appropriate knowledge test; and

(3) The person is able to read, speak, write, and understand the English language. If the applicant is unable to meet one of these requirements due to medical reasons, then the Administrator may place such operating limitations on that applicant's pilot certificate as are necessary for the safe operation of the aircraft.
--------

Also there is some more info in the FAA examiners handbook, Chapter 29
http://www.faa.gov/avr/afs/faa/8700/8700_vol2/2_029_00.pdf
--------

Note that it says "... on a U.S. private pilot certificate". I don't know if this means that there would be a restriction on a commercial license saying the iinstrument priviliges can only be used as long as your are flying on private, and not commercial priviliges. Best way to check, is to call a FSDO if you want to know for sure.

The words "US test passed" will only be put on a license when it is a FAA license based on a foreign license and you have passed a std instrument checkride. Since Long final already has a FAA stand alone license, this is not applicable

Personally, if you are going to take the written (which is almost the same as the standard instrument written test) I would take the standard test, and do the checkride for the normal instrument rating, saves you alot of hassle.

The only thing what you have to look into, is how it works, as far as TSA clearances go, with adding the instrument rating.

-IBLB-