PDA

View Full Version : I heard some news from Iraq

Onan the Clumsy
2nd May 2005, 13:47
About one of the latest bombs, and they said blah blah blah in an upscale shopping district in Baghdad blah blah blah
I am perplexed. Baghdad (or is it Bagdhad?) has an upscale shopping district? wtf? :confused:

XXTSGR
2nd May 2005, 13:50
Is that where you buy "up" scales? :confused:

Onan the Clumsy
2nd May 2005, 14:31
real question actually.

what are we fighting a war for in a country that supposedly needed one if there's a freaking Galleria there?

I thought it was all stinking desert

we need an iimage of salloon doors flapping in the breeze too and creaking signs swinging back and forth :ouch:

Jerricho
2nd May 2005, 14:44
http://www.tcinternet.net/users/gheller/Burn02/saloon.jpg

(Dunno who the old guy is. Maybe he's been waiting for the punchline ;) )

airship
2nd May 2005, 16:36
That picture is of opening day at the Louvre, Baghdad (Texas) branch...

tony draper
2nd May 2005, 17:12
Apparently consumer electronics satellite dishes wide screens puters luxury goods of all kinds are going like hot cakes,you don't hear much about that because it doesn't fit the fluffy media view they want you to have of Iraq.
:rolleyes:

Paterbrat
2nd May 2005, 18:51
It is a section of the globe where an extremely valuable substance gushes out of underground reserves. It would be surprising if there were not 'one or two' places where luxuries might be purchased as Mr D says despite the impression the press has tried to convey.

Ontariotech
3rd May 2005, 01:14
That picture is of my dad, waiting to be run over by an overzealous ambulance driver responding to a call for a cat stuck in a tree......

mini
3rd May 2005, 02:07
Baghdad is like any other city, either peaceful & prosperous or poor & divided, Karrada is a middle class shopping area, natives, both with & without have tried to preserve the good times as a sense of pride, hence the description.

Jerricho
3rd May 2005, 15:48
by an overzealous ambulance driver

And let me guess.....this photo is the local speed camera?

Grandpa
3rd May 2005, 16:52
Berlusconi is daring to allow Italian Administration to say white while US tells black about Callipari assassination.!

What a shame!

Lynn England is pleading guilty.......only to get shorter stay in jail.

Now that we know Abu Ghraïb was not so clean as said at the beginning, we are able to see Callipari's killers were not so clever as said by US Command.

airship
3rd May 2005, 17:00
Uhoh, the thread's gone serious...better face the music. (http://www.content.loudeye.com/scripts/hurl.exe?clipid=002040101100006900&cid=600111) :O

tony draper
3rd May 2005, 17:13
Well,if we are going off topic, the EU(may the horned one piss on it) have ordered that all EU citizens stop being unkind to Gypsies, thats torn it , people who have never been unkind to a Gypsy in their entire lives will now feel it their duty to seek them out and heap abuse on em.
:rolleyes:

airship
3rd May 2005, 18:08
I heard some news from the BBC

Grandpa...the French connection?! (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/4510365.stm) ;)

Grandpa
3rd May 2005, 22:22
Should I declare guilty or not?

What will be the advantage?

uncivilservant
3rd May 2005, 23:26
"people who have never been unkind to a Gypsy in their entire lives will now feel it their duty to seek them out and heap abuse on em"
------------------------------------------------
Well, I've got no axe to grind with gypsies, but there is another sort of traveller that we get plagued with in the West - sponging, drug-dealing suburban drop-outs. These scum descend from their winter quarters in mummy's abode in Surbiton, in clapped-out, unlicensed buses, and pollute otherwise picturesque parts of the countryside especially near "mystic" places such as Glastonbury. The council, to whom we pay huge sums in council tax, bury their heads in the sand and ignore them. Unfortunately, the most effective form of control is denied us by a weak-willed Government that condones their actions - put a FAC with a laser designator on Glastonbury Tor, add a couple of Jaguars with CBUs and napalm, and the problem would disappear!

Darth Nigel
5th May 2005, 13:16
This (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4515397.stm) may explain why there is an upscale shipping mall in Baghdad

US civilian authorities in Iraq have been unable to account properly for nearly $100m (£53m) earmarked for rebuilding, US financial auditors say.

Two audits found signs of potential fraud regarding the money, which includes oil revenue and assets seized from Saddam Hussein's government.

A third questioned the use of almost $18bn in US taxpayers' money for reconstruction projects in Iraq.

The audits found "no assurance that fraud, waste and abuse did not occur".

Distribution of the funds was first the responsibility of the US-led Coalition Provisional Authority, and later of an organisation managed by the US embassy in Iraq.

It was subjected to examination by the US Special Inspector General for Iraqi Reconstruction (Sigir).

yintsinmerite
5th May 2005, 15:39
D'yknow, my home town in Hertfordshire (Baldock), is a corruption of Baghdad so renamed after the crusades.

Don't tell Dubya or Easyjet will be dodging B52's on their way into Luton

Jerricho
5th May 2005, 16:01
Sure they will. They'll be trying to find Farnborough :E

Grandpa
5th May 2005, 22:14
Prosecutor is refusing Lynn England stand ("guilty"), because her superior boy friend told in court she only executed his orders, to train US military personnel for "hard interviews" of Iraqi prisoners.

( some people said this was "torture", and from where in the chain of command came the initial order?)

My opinion is Dubya's responsibility is involved as "Commander in Chief".

Jerricho
5th May 2005, 22:29
*Scratches head*

And what's that got to do with the shopping mall? Unless they shooped there for the torture equipment.

tony draper
5th May 2005, 22:45
Bet that chap the Pakistanis nabbed yesterday wishes he was in American hands tonight, he prolly has a 500 watt soldering iron up his arse right now and is singing like a canary.

panda-k-bear
6th May 2005, 09:38
Jerricho - both are inventions of the great American satan (aren't they Grandpa?). And you'd NEVER find a shopping mall in France, would you? :}

I always find it ironic that the most popular resto in France is McDo's :yuk: For a place that so despises American culture... Hasn't Paris now got its first Starbucks as well? Only a matter of time before they get Hooters as well :}

Grandpa
6th May 2005, 18:53
So MacDo is "American culture" !

What about Arthur Miller, Woody Allen.....

What you call "culture", we call it sub-culture!

That makes the difference........