PDA

View Full Version : Chelsea - Worthy Champs Or Not

BALIX
2nd May 2005, 11:42
Not seen anyone comment on this so far so I thought I'd start.

I'm not a Chelsea fan and never will be but I was delighted when they won the Premiership last Saturday. There are a number of reasons for this:

1 They are the best team in the league
2 Murhinio is entertaining
3 They have a few (well, three) very good ENGLISH players in the team
4 It meant that Manchester United and Arsenal didn't win the title
5 They play as a team, not a bunch of individuals
6 Huddersfield Town couldn't win it
7 They play in blue
8 That's about it, really

Of course, many people, especially those who support the afore mentioned Man U and The Arse, will say it is all down to Abramovic's money which may be partly true but Man Utd are not exactly short of a bob or two and I don't think Arsenal are exactly poor. You've got to spend it wisely and then mould those players into a team. Murhinio has done this so good luck to them.

I now hope they give the Scouse gits a whipping at Anfield tomorrow and go on to wn the Champions League as it will annoy the rest of Europe :E

joe2812
2nd May 2005, 11:51
Its 100% down to their money, without it they couldn't have the good players you mention.

I still refuse to call them a 'team'. Teams have history, a passion... they're a collection of players whos talents were bought for a stupidly high price. Last season Chelsea sucked big time, as is always the case though, when a problem arises throw money at it.

As a Liverpool fan i'm looking forward to tomorrow... if we win then we'll be the best team in the world ever because we beat the golden boys. If they win, it'll be expected and nothing special :}

edited for puerile ranting

Onan the Clumsy
2nd May 2005, 13:52
yes but Joe, fair do's, they still play in blue. You can't say anything about that :p

SmilingKnifed
2nd May 2005, 14:15
I don't like the obscene amount of money Abramovich has brought to the game, but I do think Jose's good value and they play some good football.

Don't even get me started on the topic of Huddersfield!

ORAC
2nd May 2005, 14:37
No complaints as a gooner, they deserved it. I always thought they would do it eventually, just thought it would take him a couple of seasons to get used to the UK and get them to gel.

Two reasons why I have no complaints about Chelski winning the Premiership.

1. They aren't Man U.
2. They aren't Spurs. :E

joe2812
2nd May 2005, 14:41
"Edited for 'puerile' ranting"

:E
fair cop Joe! ;)

jayteeto
2nd May 2005, 14:52
Maybe they did 'buy' the title, but that is exactly what every champion team has done. Chelsea just had more money this year. Do you honestly think Man Utd would not do the same if they had the cash??

McAero
2nd May 2005, 15:05
Last season Chelsea sucked big time

semi-final of the Champions League?

Anyway, we all know that if Celtic joined the Premiership they'd be champions :E :} :ok:

Capt.KAOS
2nd May 2005, 15:15
2 Murhinio is entertaining Mourinho is a d!ckhead.

For the rest their game is boring :zzz:

BombayDuck
2nd May 2005, 15:27
Although I'm a Red fan, full credit to the Blues for the Championship victory.. they deserved it.

And since we beat the Arse both home and away, I'm not complaining much! :E

SmilingKnifed
2nd May 2005, 15:54
A Man-U fan in Bombay. Figures.:hmm:

GrahamK
2nd May 2005, 16:08
Well, you dont find Man U fans in Manchester so it aint surprising :}

BombayDuck
2nd May 2005, 16:29
More Arse fans in Bombay, though, than Man U fans....

more opportunities to point and laugh :E

cyclicmicky
2nd May 2005, 17:02
Assuming the gutter press are almost correct.............I do say almost......... A certain team owner has spent in excess of a "Million Quid a week" since he bought said team.
Is this excessive in the Premier ??
Biiiiiiiiiiiig Spooooooooon
:E :E

Astrodome
2nd May 2005, 17:24
Feeling lonely down there in 3rd?

More Arse fans in Bombay, though, than Man U fans.... Probabaly right ! Man U have never had a proper following only from those 'fairweather supporters' you know the ones who evaporate when you start to go down the table.

Bit like Liverpool, Spurs, and oh Yes !...Chelsea !

BALIX
2nd May 2005, 19:27
Feeling lonely down there in 3rd

Was that aimed at me? My lot are in the 1st, it says so on the telly each week :ok:

All this thing about money, though, it's not quite that simple. Plenty teams have chucked money at problems and ended up in administration. Mourhinio has taken a bunch of talented individuals that, despite that CL semi last year, weren't quite up to the task, and turned them into the team that is easily the best in the country. And although the players are good, he hasn't needed a star name like Henry or Van Nistlroy. (Drogba isn't bad but would anyone say he is as highly thpough of as those two?).

So yes, they've needed the money but they've needed the managerial nous as well.

Don't even get me started on the topic of Huddersfield!

Why, you a Swindon fan :}

SmilingKnifed
2nd May 2005, 20:39
Worse, Mansfield.:{

Astrodome
2nd May 2005, 20:58
In the League !

BALIX
2nd May 2005, 21:31
Worse, Mansfield

Ah, got you now. Wasn't Liam Lawrence's penalty at Cardiff last year a cracker :E :E :E :ok:

Sorry, thread creep, I'll stop now...

SmilingKnifed
2nd May 2005, 21:34
Ouch! I'll admit, it was a shocker (so was the performance of the linesman, a blatant goal!).

CosmosSchwartz
2nd May 2005, 21:59
Not a chelsea fan but.......

All this talk about buying the league is nonsense for two reasons :

1) It's exactly what Man Utd/Arsenal/Real/Barca/Inter/AC etc. etc. have been doing for years

2) Their two best players have been John Terry and Frank Lampard. How much did they cost? £11m for Lampard and £0 for Terry. Hardly excessive in the premiership these days.

They deserve it.

AIRWAY
2nd May 2005, 22:08
Kaos,

Your full of.......

Mourinho is a legend :}

SyllogismCheck
3rd May 2005, 06:53
How did I know, even before opening this thread, that I'd see something to the effect of this, Its 100% down to their money, without it they couldn't have the good players you mention. amongst the first replies? And sure enough there it was, in the very first reply no less.

It never ceases to amaze me that people, even Liverpool fans, resort to mentioning it. :rolleyes: ;)

Must be a good year all round for those playing in blue I guess, just look at Everton. :E

Navajo8686
3rd May 2005, 11:18
The magnificent Birmingham City play in blue and are not top of the table.

Still there's always next year for a blue top three - Blues, Chelski & Everton..........

Possibly.......:p

Nick Riviera
3rd May 2005, 12:03
As an Arsenal fan I have no problem with Chelsea winning the title. The best team always wins the league ergo they are the best team this year.

I do have an issue concerning their finances, though. Don't get me wrong, I would love Arsenal to have the same sort of spending power. Yes, Arsenal and the mancs have also spent wisely to achieve success, but that is missing the main point. Chelsea posted a loss of £90m pounds this year. For any other team that would lead to administration and probable relegation through having to sell their best players, a la Leeds. However, they can just write that debt out with a stroke of Roman's chequebook. Other teams spend a lot of money but it is usually within their means to finance this debt. This is what makes Chelsea different from the other clubs, they can spend way above what they earn, to an unbelievable extent. No other club can match that and it does give them an edge.

Curious Pax
3rd May 2005, 12:08
I must be an optical illusion, or a figment of my own imagination in that case, as a Man United supporter who lives close by to their ground, and started supporting them the year they got relegated! (I have similar luck with shares, but at least the football side has somewhat improved in the last 30 years!)

Having said that I think Chelsea are worthy champions - money has always bought success to varying degrees, although the disparity has rarely been this great between the top 3 and the rest. I was listening to the radio on Saturday, and an Arsenal fan was arguing just that - one of the main reasons for Herbert Chapman's success in the 30s was the money he had available to spend.

However you still need a manager to mould it together, and to do it from the start of his first season is impressive.

It will be interesting to see who gets the manager of the season gong though, as David Moyes this season, and Sam Allardyce and Alan Curbishley repeatedly end up higher in the league than their budgets suggest they ought to. It will be interesting to see how any of those 3 get on if they did get the opportunity to play with one of the big 3's budgets. I suspect that Moyes and probably Curbishley would succeed, Allardyce I suspect may be better suited at a less well off club.

engineer(retard)
3rd May 2005, 13:02
Even Chelsea could not afford Rio Ferdinand - £35m money well spent.

joe2812
3rd May 2005, 13:40
Of course you'd see it, it's the truth!

Why is it that Chelski's success has come in the Roman era? Where was your consistancy before that? Usually Chelsea were competing for 5/6/7th, in the mid-90's it was around 11th!

Ignore it all you like but without the cash, this season would have been Man Utd's. (as much as I hate to admit it!)

Caslance
3rd May 2005, 14:01
Ignore it all you like but without the cash, this season would have been Man Utd's. I'm a Manchester United fan (born in Manchester and bred in Salford, so there!) but I can't agree with that.

If that's the case, Joe, how come Arsenal are 4 points ahead of us in the League and could yet beat us in the FA Cup Final?

If that's the case, Joe, how come Liverpool are in the semi-finals of the Champions' League while we didn't even make the Quarter-finals?

A reality check from time to time does none of us any harm, and these past two seasons have been just that for United.

joe2812
3rd May 2005, 14:08
Meant Arsenal :ugh:

As a Scouse supporter i'm thrilled that we're in the Champions League Semi...but 'when' we get to the final and win, how can we call ourselves the best in Europe when we cant get top 4 in our domestic league?!

Dak Mechanic
3rd May 2005, 14:50
As a Norwich Supporter (living in Coventry) I've little interest in the other end of the table :O

Highlights of my season? Beating Man U and spoiling Chelsea's clean sheet (despite a bit of a thrashing!).

2 games to go - who's going down? My guess is that from the 4 bottom clubs, Palace will survive.

And congrats to Chelsea - No matter what talent is bought, it still takes good management and teamwork to maintain that level of performance all season. The tough test is holding on to the title next season...

JC
Championship awaits!

SyllogismCheck
3rd May 2005, 17:01
What I was getting at joe2812 was the way in which it gets said.
Obviously the money paid for the players. It's not really an excuse to use it as an 'Oh but they only won because' sour grapes type gripe though. It just gives the impression that people are being sore losers, and as I said it never ceases to amaze me how openly people, and some more than others, are prepared to display that characteristic.
To my mind it's also a particularly hypocritical winge given that any club would use the money were they to have it at their disposal.

Anyway, that's done with now. On to this evening.
I'm not assuming for a moment that it's a given. We'll see who's the best side on the evening, although I will say that hopefully I shall not need to demonstrate the art of remaining gracious in defeat. :E

Craggenmore
12th May 2005, 12:02
From the Evening Standard on Wednesday (after Chelsea's 1-3 victory, having run rings around Man U for the third time this season.)

"For all the hysteria caused by the Russian's investment in Chelsea, it is a sobering thought that United fielded the more expensive team last night, with Rio Ferdinand, Wayne Rooney, Ruud van Nistelrooy and Cristiano Ronaldo costing more than the visitors' starting line-up combined. "

towards the bottom (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/football/articles/18532636?source=Evening%20Standard)

And even funnier................

"The incredible saga of teenage star Jon Obi Mikel's move to Manchester United took a sensational new twist today when it emerged that the Nigerian wanted to join Chelsea."

Please not Man U..! sniff (http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/football/articles/18574301?source=Evening%20Standard)

p.s. - Missing persons...where has Ruud and Wayne disappeared to - It's OK, theyr'e in Huth's pocket.......

:E (even the smilies are blue)

Nick Riviera
12th May 2005, 19:55
Lima

You miss the point of what I said earlier. I am glad you brought Leeds up, because they make a good comparison. The difference with Abramovich is that if he had been Leeds chairman they wouldn't have gone into administration. It is not so much the money spent on players, many clubs spend a lot of money here, but the fact that his wealth enables Chelsea to be the only club that can take no notice of running up enormous debts. He bailed the club out of £100m debt when he bought it and has written off another £90m of debt incurred over the last year. It is not bitter to point this out. As I said, I wish Arsenal had that kind of clout. But it is also nonsense to suggest that he has not made all the difference to Chelsea. They could not possibly operate as they do without his cash bailing them out, they would in fact go under. If he left tomorrow there would have to be a huge fire sale of players just to meet the wage bill. I don't think the same can be said of any other of the top clubs in the Premiership.

Once again though, I have to stress that this in no way denies that Chelsea have been the best team this season. The table does not lie.

Big Tudor
13th May 2005, 11:49
I agree that Chelsea are a class act this season. They play football worth watching, and it has at least brought a 3rd team into play in the premiership instead of the Arsenal / Man Utd domination that was predicted.
However, I am concerned as to Chelseas succession plan. What happens when Lampard, Terry, etc are past their best? Will Chelsea go on another shopping spree to replace the team? Could prove difficult with UEFAs 'home grown' policy coming in next year. I sincerely hope that a large part of Abramovichs money is going to develop the youth teams at Stamford Bridge. The future of English football needs it.

ORAC
13th May 2005, 11:59
The Mikel saga just goes to show that Chelski haven“t learnt or don“t care. Hope they get the book thrown at them.