PDA

View Full Version : RN fast jet flying

mr.nys
2nd May 2005, 11:02
Hi,
After hearing about the RAF cutting down on the number of FJ pilots I ve thought about RN flying. Does anyone know the number of pilots the RN recruits every year and how many of them go on to FJ flying instead of rotary wing? Is it easier to get into the RN or the RAF? And which would be more challenging:RN flying or RAF flying?

nr.nys

(p.s Sorry about asking too many questions, I m just curious)

joe2812
2nd May 2005, 11:04
And which would be more challenging:RN flying or RAF flying?

Depends who you ask!

The RN are taking more, especially for jets, depends if you fancy living on a bath-tub for months at a time or not...

As for which is easiest, neither of 'em, they're both bloody hard work.

Try a search and see what other threads dig up.

:ok:

UberPilot
2nd May 2005, 12:43
I believe the above comment to be wrong: the RAF will always requie more Jet Pilots simply because they have 250+ FJ and the RN will share about 40 Harier.

It's all relative. There is still more chance of getting FJ in the RAF; just look at a Linton course.

Is it still true that to get FJ in the RN it's normally after doing VERY well at Shawbury since there's no METS or twin seaters to stick the not-quite-good-enough for Harrier people into?

joe2812
2nd May 2005, 12:57
UP,

While i'm sure you're better placed to give the facts am I wrong in thinking that the majority of naval applicants end up streamed rotary?

If you were good enough to go FJ would you not stand a better chance in the current climate of getting your seat with the Navy than the Air Force?

This is what i've been led to believe, however please correct me if wrong! :p

UberPilot
2nd May 2005, 13:27
Anybody at the sharp end - please correct, any Linton/Valley guys, what's the curent course break down between RAF/RN ?

Even in the current climate the RAF still need more FJ Pilots due to the natural attrition of Pilots in 15 or so FJ squadrons as opposed to the RN who had 2 sqn's of 10 ac. With the GR9 force and maybe JSF they will need/do need more, but not more than the RAF. Even at Wittering on 20 there are still more RAF guys going through than RN.

To get RN FJ, from talking to people you need to be **** hot as there is only one ac; harrier, which there is a vertical learning curve. So most do go rotary. (Simple: Many more helicopters than fixed wing)

This is all out of date heresay though. The answer to the question about where do you stand a better chance of getting jets lies in the steaming board you're (or me, or anyone) is on in 1,2 or 3 (or never !) years time. You might be unlucky and ace EFT with 5's but if there are no slots, then rotary. Might be average when they need people and you're sorted. It's futile to try and differentiate.

Time Flies
2nd May 2005, 13:53
The current breakdown of numbers of students going through Valley is approx 4-5 RAF and 1-2 RN per course.

It is a known fact that the RN need to get single-seat scores throughout Valley just to stay there. Meaning an RAF chap may get through on 2's, 3's and 4's whereas a RN pilot will need more along the line of 4's and 5's.

The RN is also no longer sending it's marginal pilots to fly twin-seat for a year or so to improve as there just aren't the seats.

IMHO looking at the above it can only mean you have a better chance of climbing into a FJ cockpit if you go the RAF route. Simply because there are more jets and some of them are twin-seat.

Hope this helps.

TF

Bismark
2nd May 2005, 14:31
Si Clik will be able to give you the answers.

Looking at the above discussion the RN only fly single seat fast jets thus the degree of difficulty should be the same as for the RAF single seaters ie only the best make it direct to SS, ergo RN FJ pilots are s**t hot.

Both RAF and RN Harrier jocks go to sea with JFH, the difference is that the RN guys WANT to go to sea whereas the RAF do not ie it is a state of mind.

What is more difficult? I suspect flying a Lynx to a Type 42 deck in sea state 6+ on a moonless, gloopy night, on min fuel and with a Hyd failure is more difficult!

Fly Navy!

AllTrimDoubt
2nd May 2005, 15:34
"You might be unlucky and ace EFT with 5's but if there are no slots, then rotary. Might be average when they need people and you're sorted"

Wrong. If you achieve 5's at EFT, are assessed as having the drive and want to go, then you will. If there is no slot (unlikely)then you will get the next avail. Nor will we send Johnny Average just to make up the numbers if no-one else comes up to scratch.

Si Clik
2nd May 2005, 15:59
Mr Nys,

Here are the facts from the RN jury.

The RN recruit around 45-50 pilots per year of which we need around 10 to go through FJ training. There is always a shortage to choose from at EFT (Barkston) as the standard is high - we need people to get SS after all.

I can't comment on the breakdown of role disposal but this years RAF target is 145 of which most will come from the current UAS system.

One in Five applicants makes it through selection (better than the present OASC ratio) and gets a place.

The key here is that the RN will offer you more variety and that we are team focused (sometimes these threads leave me wondering). The real question is are you up for the challenge of ship operations - this is the real difference and sorts the men from the boys - even in helo ops.

:hmm:

mr.nys
2nd May 2005, 16:15
Is this the reason why RN FJ training lasts up to 5 years whereas the RAF training lasts for a shorter amount of time? I was planning to apply for an RN pilot slot if I fail at Cranwell, mainly because I m worried my eye sight isn't good enough (it's said the RN doesn't need people with health as good as the RAF, as more apply for the RAF pilot slots)

UberPilot
2nd May 2005, 16:32
The training content is exactly the same: no more no less. It's impossible to say how long it takes simply due to the length of holds etc. However, typically from start EFT to finish OCU(FJ) is about 3-4 years.

The medical requirements are virtually the same - there may be a slight difference with the exact eyesight requirements but generally if you're fit/unfit one it applies to the other; AAC as well.

Si Clik
2nd May 2005, 21:03
Mr Nys,

The eyesight requirements for all three services are taken from the same publication and are identical.

The fact is they are different for those going to other roles than FJ pilots. If you apply to the RN you will need to see an optician for a pre-test which WILL decide whether you can apply or not.

The comments about training are correct (there is NO difference in pipeline time RAFvs RN).

Si

:hmm:

Mach 2.2
2nd May 2005, 21:18
Must have changed then from late 2002 when I went through OASC, and was told that my eyesight was good enough for FAA and AAC pilot, but not RAF....

Conan the Librarian
2nd May 2005, 21:28
a good background read is "Weapons Free" by Richard Boswell. This chap had a lot of trials and tribs with applying RAF then RN - probs with medicals, going fixed rotary, etc. etc. An absorbing read and one which I am confident you might find useful.

regards,

C

AllTrimDoubt
2nd May 2005, 22:02
...with the caveat that Dickie went through the system over 10 years ago...

5 Forward 6 Back
2nd May 2005, 22:06
RN FJ training's certainly running a lot quicker than the RAF pipeline at the time being.

RN chaps get "booked" onto a 208/19 course as soon as they've arrived at Linton, and I assume the same thing happens to them re: Linton courses post EFT.

You'll find that the Navy chap on your 208 course will join you from 2-4 courses behind you at Linton, immediately following his grad while you've been holding. Likewise, your 208 Navy mate will go straight to 19 with a couple of weeks off while you go and hold for 6 months, and by the time you're refreshing for your 19/NFTC slot, he'll be eyeing GR7 aircrew manuals.

Go RAF, enjoy holding ;)

mr.nys
3rd May 2005, 15:52
Thanks for all of your replies everyone.
I m still finding it difficult to decide which is better for me to join. My school grades are excellent ( I m in the middle of exams this week :D ) and I am ok in terms of fitness (as in, I dont have any serious health problems....although I m slightly underweight at the moment) . I m thinking that the RN training would be more vigorous (as you're at sea) but I m not sure. Any ideas? It's also said that RN heli pilots can also switch to fixed wing later on, can you do the same with the RAF?

Tourist
3rd May 2005, 17:48
Might want to keep quiet about the grades, doesn't really fit in with the RN. On the plus side, being underweight initially will mean that at age 30 after following the RN arduous fitness program you'll be just the right weight.:ok:

Kris1978
16th May 2005, 13:57
It is true that RN helicopter pilots can switch to FJ later on. It's not impossible for our RAF colleagues to do the same, but certainly less likely.

There are 3 occasions when RN pilots can be selected for FJ training:

1. Upon completion of DEFTS (RAF Barkston Heath)
2. Upon completion of DHFS (RAF Shawbury)
3. After you've flown helos for a few years and are deemed worthy enough

Any further questions please ask. Hope this helps!

Bismark
16th May 2005, 18:41
mr.nys

Fly Navy. The job is more varied, more fun, more challenging and the cocktail parties are great. You will even have responsibility for a group of ratings (your Division).

What is more all of your training will be accredited towards a degree (see the RN web-site for "Flying Start") so join young! If you have got what it takes to be a jet jockey then great but if not they will still welcome you as RW aircrew (no FJ elitism in the RN).