PDA

View Full Version : Veggies. A rant.

angels
2nd May 2005, 11:00
I had the misfortune to go to a dinner party on Saturday which was hosted by a vegetarian.

She got the right hump when I didn't eat all of her mango curry.

I did try some to be polite, but that was it. When she queried me about the leftovers I told her I didn't like mango curry and that I'm sure it was perfect for people who did like mango curry. In my humble opinion, I wasn't being rude, just exercising my right to not like mango curry.

As things got a little more heated I noted that whenever she comes to our house, whatever dish is on offer contains a vegetarian alternative (which we ask her about before). Whenever I go to hers I do not have a meat alternative.

BOLLOX. I've had enough.

I am in the majority. I am a carnivore.

I have catered for veggies for 10 years. They have not catered for me.

So thats it.

Yours,

A Grumpy Old Man (48).

TimS
2nd May 2005, 11:04
I'm with you Angels - Just older and grumpier !!

You have just spurred me into a catering decision for tonight - out for a bloody good curry, with meat.

TimS

pilotwolf
2nd May 2005, 11:22
Younger and grumpier!

An ex's sister in law was the same... she wouldn't even allow meat in the house. Her hubby had a fridge and grill in the shed so he could make his bacon and sausage sandwiches when she was out!

Their wedding reception was a joy too - no meat! :(

In fairness she was a good cook without the meat but all the same...

Off for a bacon sarnie!

PW

BlueEagle
2nd May 2005, 11:41
No, you are not a carnivore, you are an Omnivore , you eat both meat and veg.

Yes, I agree, sick of going to veggie households, no choice offered, yet catering for veggies when they come to us.

If you really want to test a veggie wait until they are very, very hungry and then offer them a bacon sandwich!.:E

BlueDiamond
2nd May 2005, 11:42
Actually, Angels, you are quite correct. Most people will cater specially for any vegetarian who is coming for dinner as well as for any allergies their guests may have. Some folk will even go so far as to determine any cultural requirements so that their guests may feel comfortable and have as enjoyable a time as possible. Vegetarians, though, just will not cater for non-vegetarians ... or at least very seldom.

I have no idea why this is. Vegetarians have no hesitation in declaring that they will not eat a meal containing meat and will stick to their principles on this, expecting everyone to fall in with their wishes yet they do not return the courtesy and provide a meat-based meal for their friends.

Any vegetarians able to shed light on this one-sided situation?

joe2812
2nd May 2005, 11:55
Don't get it myself... Look, that chicken there is dead and packaged ready for roasting... surely by NOT eating it you're making it's death meaningless and a waste of time?

It's there, the deed is done, just tuck in!

Fair enough if you don't like the taste/texture/colour/whatever of the meat, but thats like us not liking aforementioned mango curry.

Also, we're helping the farmers of the world, increasing the income to countries who export meat... See, caring, thats us meat-eaters.

Bloody freaks...

BlueDiamond
2nd May 2005, 12:16
I don't think angels was complaining that people choose to be vegetarians, joe2812, just the fact that they almost never seem to extend to others the same courtesies extended to them.

I have no problem at all with a person choosing not to eat meat and I'm not the least interested in the reasons behind their choice but, like angels, I find it hard to understand why they do not cater for their friends' preferences in the same way their friends do for them.

Onan the Clumsy
2nd May 2005, 12:19
Vegetarians, though, just will not cater for non-vegetarians ... I have no idea why this is. Well one reason is that an Omnivore :8 such as yourself will eat both, so to provide something special for your guest merely represents extra effort on your part, whereas a vegetarian doesn't have anything to do with meat and therefore would be doing something out of the ordinary.

There are two kinds of vegetarian too, those who do it for health reasons and those who do it because they don't want to be involved in killing and factory farming. The first group would have less reason to be unflexible to you, but it's entirely understandable for the second group to behave in this manner. I suppose a parallel would be if you had a bacon sandwich for every meal and you went to a kosher household. What would you expect to see on the menu?

If anything, the first group may well be trying to introduce you to a whole new world that they consider quite exciting and tasty...and unfortunately, doing the exactly opposite, which in hindsight is the obvious consequence.

Disclaimers: No I am not a vegetarian (though some of my best friends etc etc), quite the opposite in fact, I hate them. I would like to be though because whilst I don't know much about the meat industry, what I do know seems to bad most certainly for the animals involved, but also, ironically for me.

Sorry but it's in my contract to write the occasional serious post.

pilotwolf
2nd May 2005, 12:36
I suppose a parallel would be if you had a bacon sandwich for every meal and you went to a kosher household. What would you expect to see on the menu?

Same ex served nibbles at a meal with friends once - he was of said religious beliefs and when offered the selection of cocktail sausages/sausages wrapped in bacon/etc simply said "Sorry S*** I can't eat those.", no fuss, no problem, just a polite refusal and a quick trip to the freezer to find an alternative main course too!

So maybe it's an attitude thing - on both sides?

PW

Onan the Clumsy
2nd May 2005, 12:55
Absolutely. One has a deep disregard for the vegetable kingdom, but if offered tham at someone's house, will at least have the decency to swirl the food around on the plate (haven't we ALL done that?) and at least try to eat the odd piece or two. It's just decent civilised behavoir, the lubrication of society etc etc.

angels
2nd May 2005, 13:06
Blueeagle - Indeed , I am an omnivore. But -- and I'm not afraid to say -- the only veggies I like are roast spuds, carrots, peas etc are next to a bit of lamb/cow etc. My primary eating pleasure is meat. Sorry, but that's a fact.

Ms BD has got it right. I always cook for my veggie friends. In fact recently I've come up with quite a good pepper bake, with three different types of peppers, garlic, spuds, herbs etc. It's gone down well with my veggie friends (and nope, it's not come up in our house).

What prompted the post was that someone who I've cooked especially for twice chose to give me only one choice of dinner (mango curry) and then berate me for not liking it.

Delighted to say the kids came out in solidarity too.....:O

joe2812
2nd May 2005, 13:10
While I get the jist of the post, it seems to me that that the veggies consider themselves something special because of the fact they don't eat meat.

You go out of your way to accommodate them by laying on a nice salad or something else remotely bland, and yet you cant expect a nice set of pork ribs or a steak.

If they showed up and you hadnt prepared something meat-free they'd blow their lid and exit. If you showed up and there was no meat and you blew your top and stormed out you'd be blowing things out of proportion.

Each to their own, just not anywhere near me... :*

panda-k-bear
2nd May 2005, 13:17
We have two sets of friend where the female of the couple is a veggie.

On every occasion that they have fed us, they have always offered us meat - even though they are against meat due to principle and not due to health reasons. It can be done and in polite circles it seems that it is done. In return we always provide a veggie (or fish, as they are both fish eaters) alternative for them - they are normally only too happy to return the favour!

G-SCUD
2nd May 2005, 13:17
As an omnivore, I quite enjoy dinner with veggie friends – they tend to be a bit more imaginative with vegetables than most omnis. However, most of them cite ‘not killing animals” or something similar as their reason for vegginess. Most of these same people are hearty consumers of dairy produce and seemingly quite oblivious to the facts: The only reason we can have a dairy industry is because we kill the cows’ babies (and eat them). They also get very annoyed when I point this out, so I’ve stopped doing it now… And there’s the ones that will eat eggs (chicken embryos) and fish (animals). Seems it’s only ‘cute’ animals that have rights…

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Unwell_Raptor
2nd May 2005, 13:35
I worked in the meat industry for many years. I have it on excellent authority that those who eschew meat and live on vegetables are subject to:-

Flatulence,
Halotosis,
Impotence,
Piles,
Loss of hair,
Flat Feet,
Varicose veins,
Constipation and Diarrhoea (sometimes simultaneously),
Atrophy of Charisma,
And being tiresome.

And I am totally unbiased.

Bleedin' 'ell U_R, I must be a vegetarian then as all of the above apply! Funny, I'm sure that was meat I ate today! :E Wholigan

2nd May 2005, 13:35
G-SCUD,

Just don't ask these veggies (most of them cite ‘not killing animals” or something similar as their reason for vegginess)
if they have leather shoes, belts, etc, or if they have ever had a sofa or car seat made of leather.

I've tried it, and the question was not appreciated, as they had to admit they had.

U.R.
Mcdonalds doesn't count as "the meat industry":E

Capn Notarious
2nd May 2005, 13:42
Then there are the veggies who complain bitterly when the BBQ gets fired upooh we don't like the smell .
So with ppruners help and to hijack the thread Tee hee . Suggestions for good responses please. Mine is Close yer - - - - ing windows!

Onan the Clumsy
2nd May 2005, 13:45
[:8]

eggs are actually not chicken embryos until fertilised

[/:8]

XXTSGR
2nd May 2005, 13:55
Do veggies drink milk? If so, how do they think the farmers keep the cows lactating? By keeping 'em in the family way and sending the calves to the slaughterhouse.

So by drinking milk you encourage the slaughter of dumb animals.

It's all a load of b:\ll:\cks. Examine the teeth of a human - it proves that we are designed to be omnivorous. Take meat out of the diet and we have a very hard time ingesting the protein we need. If you want to protest about battery farming, or cruelty in farming then by all means do so. Buy organic, buy free-range eggs, buy meat you know is humanely slaughtered (can you buy any other sort?)

But vegetarianism is a load of bunk.

Unless you just don't like meat.

Onan the Clumsy
2nd May 2005, 14:04
(Reasonably) fair comment XX, but two things (1) vegetarians who drink milk or wear leather may be contradictory in their nature but (1a) at least they make an effort to follow their beliefs and (1b) who amongst us isn't? (2) Perhaps a better balance in our diet would be good for us and maybe instead of saussage patties for breakfast, a half pound burger for lunch and some ribs for dindins we could eat maybe toast, a 4oz burger and say spaghetti in the evening.

Omnivorism in balance.

Capt.KAOS
2nd May 2005, 14:35
Vegetarians are not the most permissive people around. Usually they think their world is the only correct world, including their cooking I guess?

Jerricho
2nd May 2005, 14:49
Kaos is correct. Respect for your choice to live your life as you want to. Just don't expect me to be as receptive to your thoughts if you're trying to make me feel bad eating a steak.

(Now, what other beliefs could we apply this to :E)

Onan the Clumsy
2nd May 2005, 14:54
Not disagreeing, just drawing a distinction between (i) telling someone in general to not eat meat and veggie is better etc etc and (ii) not wanting to have meat in a meat free kitchen.

ORAC
2nd May 2005, 14:54
I'm an omnivore and I think you are bing unreasonable. A veggie comes to your place, you offer them a vegetarian dish because you know they cannot eat a meat dish.

When you, as an omnivore, go to their place they, and you, know you can eat meat or veggie dishes. So there is no need to cook an alternative.

You didn't eat the mango curry, not because you could not, but because you did not like it, and obviously left enough to make it clear.

That was rude to your host. Even if you did not like, you should have eaten it and put on a polite face. You did not. If there was a subsequent row, it was caused by your manners and not their beliefs. Trying to widen the argument is merely a subconscious attempt to relieve your discomfort when you know you were at fault - as is this thread.

Personally, I think you probably owe them an apology.

Capt.KAOS
2nd May 2005, 15:11
hat was rude to your host. Disagree, obviously angels did eat some and since when are you obliged to eat everything one doesn't like?

I've been to China many times, eaten many exotic dishes from animals and parts of it I don't want to know about and didn't even know they existed. My hosts had every understanding for my (polite) dislike and never, ever questioned it. A host needs to honor his guests, not the other way around.

I think the veggie owes an apology for being a bad host.

DOME
2nd May 2005, 15:15
A quote from celebrity NY chef Anthony Bourdain:

"I’m just as happy with an irradiated carrot, so long as it tastes good. Organic food is grown in shit by hippies.

My naked contempt for vegetarians, sauce-on-siders, the ‘lactose-intolerant’ and the cooking of the Ewok-like Emeril Lagasse is not going to get me my own show on the Food Network.

A vegetable is a beautiful thing, actually, if it’s cuddled up to a piece of meat, quite frankly. A potato cooked in duck fat is a gorgeous thing.

I have a lot of Mexican guys who work for me, so we have plenty of Mexi-rap and pop. But, you know, I don’t want to hear any Justin Timberlake or Kylie in my kitchen, okay? I will fire you so fast.

Vegetarians, and their Hezbollah-like splinter faction, the vegans, are a persistant irritant to any chef worth a damn. To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living.

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, an affront to all I stand for, the pure enjoyment of food.

If they bring me the plate of steaming puppy heads, I’m eating them.

Have you ever tried the durian fruit? It’s unbelievably smelly. It smells like Satan’s rectum. "

Onan the Clumsy
2nd May 2005, 15:21
Oh a "celebrity" eh? Well he must be worth listening to then. :rolleyes:

brockenspectre
2nd May 2005, 15:35
angels I think it was unfortunate that your veggie friend(s) chose a dish you didn't like - I am assuming that if they had offered a (veggie) meal that you did like then you would have eaten it no bother? ORAC I agree that politeness requires the occasional eating of something that would not otherwise be a preference (providing there are no medical considerations to refuse something) but I have to disagree with the "eat all of it anyway" rule. If at the end of a course I, as hostess, note that someone hasn't eaten much of what I thought would be fabulous and the reply to my enquiry is that they didn't like the dish then I would try to offer something else. If the cupboard was too bare then I would make a mental note for "next time" and this time offer cheese/bikkies/fruit so that my guest would not leave feeling hungry!!

I have to say that with the exception of a few very close friends I don't use a dinner party as a chance to experiment - my idea of a dinner party is for friends to sit down and eat food we all like (irrespective of food preferences) and drink sufficient to lubricate conversation ....

As a coeliac I am a bit of a nuisance to cook for - but having a genetic disorder is way different from exercising a "food preference" - my mom died of the coeliac cancer, I hope I won't and, in fact, if I keep to my gluten free diet I am likely to be healthier than the average person of my vintage (so I am told!) :ok: :) If I am invited to someone's house I mention my situation and am more than happy to discuss options :ok:

BombayDuck
2nd May 2005, 15:44
my entire beef (pun wholeheartedly intended :D) with the original post is...

WTF is Mango Curry ???

Now, to the point....

My family is omnivorous, but we eat non-vegetarian food once a week (or twice max.). And that too its fish because dad doesn't eat any other kind of meat. Doesn't like it.... (Watching those damn apostrophes... :* )

Being Indian, we know enough veggie-eaters than you lot combined; but on the whole people are rather tolerant i.e. won't stop you from eating non vegetarian stuff. If we host such a family though, it is always completely a veggie meal (no, no, not a meal made of the vegetarians :D ).

However don't go to a vegetarian household here expecting a non vegetarian dish just 'coz you eat meat....

ORAC
2nd May 2005, 15:57
As things got a little more heated I noted that whenever she comes to our house, whatever dish is on offer contains a vegetarian alternative (which we ask her about before). Whenever I go to hers I do not have a meat alternative.

Sorry, but at that stage it went past being reasonable.

VFE
2nd May 2005, 16:09
Hitler was a veggie.

cavortingcheetah
2nd May 2005, 16:11
:) Yes indeed, but he knew how to work a mean oven.:E

Ozzy
2nd May 2005, 17:23
You won't be going round there for dinner again then angels?:E

Ozzy

Wingswinger
2nd May 2005, 20:45
I don't think I've ever seen a veggie who looked really well. That coupled with the canines and incisors to be found in the human mouth says it, really.

Onan the Clumsy
2nd May 2005, 20:57
I know what you mean, but... when did you last go to McDonalds and look for healthy looking meat eaters? :}

plus, if I compare my incisors to my cat's, there's a world of difference.

Wingswinger
2nd May 2005, 21:03
I wouldn't look for meat-eaters in McDonald's!:yuk:

Are you sure you don't mean his carnassials?

Onan the Clumsy
2nd May 2005, 21:12
yes good point - I was lost in the forest of pedantry. :8

tony draper
2nd May 2005, 21:26
One of the rules of nature seems to be that if you are a vegetarian yer don't need to be very smart, carnivors have to be inteligent, they have hunt, co-operate ect, yer veg poucher just needs to wander about with its head down gnawing on the grass, and don't need to be very bright.
:rolleyes:

Onan the Clumsy
2nd May 2005, 21:53
Cows are vegetarians and have four stomachs to process the fields. We on the other hand have just the one I'm glad I learned what a syllogism is cos now I can recognise one here.

or to put it another way, what a load of absolute bollocks :}

Cows are vegetarians, but they eat predominantly grass which is very difficult to break down. That's why they have four stomaches. non meat food stuffs also include your carrots :cool: your beans :hmm: and of course your brussel sprouts :yuk:

It also includes fruit like apples :ok:

Have you ever seen a cow eat a fcuking apple?

Why am I defending vegetarianism? The only vegetables I eat are potatoes :confused:

tony draper
2nd May 2005, 22:09
Gonna be confusing forrem when we really get a handle on this genetic engineering stuff and have apple trees that grow round fillet steaks.

Jerricho
2nd May 2005, 22:58
eat a fcuking apple?

Is that anything like a toffee apple? Can you get on your knees and bob for them?

mini
3rd May 2005, 02:14
What a load of rubbish.

If you invite someone to dinner, serve them what they like. You did invite them after all...

Jeesh...

XXTSGR
3rd May 2005, 02:21
Hear, hear, mini.

As a good host, you take the trouble to serve people good food that you think they will like, not foist on them what you will like and think they should like if only they had "seen the light" like you know you have. You take the trouble to consider their dietary needs, restrictions (health, taste, religious, whatever) and devote your efforts to that, not to turn the evening into some sort of veggie evangelism.

Onan the Clumsy
3rd May 2005, 03:26
It's in the idea that cows are vegetarians and have four stomachs. We have one stomach ergo are not vegetarians.

;)

Loose rivets
3rd May 2005, 04:55
Mmmmm.

I've been married to a vegetarian for...........well, I was going to say 40 years, but I guess that she has only been qualified as one for around a quarter of a century. It may be significant that she is often mistaken for my daughter.

She read me an article the other day, it was bout an abattoir in the US. I don't want to bring the thread into a state of gloom, but the descriptions were horrific. So much contaminated waste finds its way into the product that it's not even a little bit funny, and the blood drain is the size of a highway, and runs 24/7 :ugh:

For quite a few years now, I've popped outside and fired up the barbecue so as not to fill the house with smells that might offend...it's really not that much trouble and I've sort of got used to it. If I'm at home in the winter, snow can be a bit counterproductive. :ooh:

Always, if I'm joining a group of her friends and it's vegi or nowt, I'll not look forward to it...but always enjoy it. Stuffed mushrooms, nut roast and long mauve rectangular things. Wonderful. Always go for seconds.:ok:

Frankly, if you're treated to vegi food, and you find it unappetising......how to put this diplomatically?.....well, it's not the food's fault.

RiskyRossco
3rd May 2005, 05:45
Here's a thought: are vegetarians those who love animals or hate vegetables?

Discuss. . . oh, you already have? Carry on. . .

'Tis a "point of faith" thingy, in general terms. Vegetarians exercise their right to eschew meat in their diet, other than those who have allergies or those with low tolerance, metabolically, for animal flesh and by-products.
As a chef for years mine eyes have been opened to the variegated and bewildering extremes of the human diet.

Yet I do agree with comments elicited that, in deference to sensibilities, catering for vegetarians is basic social etty-kwetty and to not be returned the favour by vegetarian caterers is condecenscion.

My penn'rth.

angels
3rd May 2005, 06:44
ORAC has had a pop at me. Fair enough.

But I'd like to say that when I said ' 'I noted' in the original post it was purely to myself, not to the hostess. Believe me, I'm not a naturally rude person.

My main point is that I go out of my way to cater for people with various dietary requirements. My mother-in-law is vegetarian on moral grounds. Fine. No problem with me. I know her favourite dishes and cook them when she comes around. The last time was on Sunday. If I may so, a pretty nifty pene pasta with my own tomato sauce.

My point is that I am in a majority in that I eat meat. Yet I'm made out to be heartless and cruel and have to endure a moral tirade. If I go to a vegetariarian household I will eat vegetables. I love curry, I don't like mango curry. I tried to eat enough to be polite. It seems I failed.

If it helps, I ate a lot of naan bread and popadums.

acbus1
3rd May 2005, 06:58
.......a fcuking apple?

Crunch question, I knaw, but would that be hard core apple?

Cox?

ORAC
3rd May 2005, 07:28
My point is that I am in a majority in that I eat meat. Yet I'm made out to be heartless and cruel and have to endure a moral tirade.

I think there is more history behind this incident than we have heard so far..

tony draper
3rd May 2005, 08:09
What I find hypocritical is they all still eat leather shoes.

angels
3rd May 2005, 08:11
ORAC - I can assure you there isn't.

We are still good friends, but with differing views on diet.

tony draper
3rd May 2005, 08:17
People have the misconception that vegetation is somehow benign, yet the most leathal toxins and alcoloids in nature are all derived from the vegetable kingdom, evil things is vegetables.
:cool:

ShyTorque
3rd May 2005, 08:19
As for vegetarians, just remember - plants have feelings too. It's quite disgraceful to skin 'em alive or throw them, screaming, into a pan of boiling water!

My family eat meat, as nature intended, but to avoid criticism regarding any unnecessary slaughter of animals, we now operate a "road kill only" policy in our kitchen.

I'm just off out now - a neighbour has told me he spotted a nice hedgehog and a starling in the road on his way home from the nightshift.

Anyone fancy a curry this weekend? I guarantee you won't be forced to eat any spicy bean fartburgers at our place!

eal401
3rd May 2005, 09:08
I had the joy of living with a vegetarian during my final year at university.

She would prepare vegetable dishes and we wouldn't say a word. We'd prepare something involving meat and BANG, "How do you feel knowing an animal has died for your meal?"

She only managed to brainwash her boyfriend into quitting meat. The rest of us just rolled our eyes.

I did try the "are you going to have a go at all those nasty lions eating meat in the wild" but for some odd reason veggies shut up with that argument.

Dave Martin
3rd May 2005, 09:58
Wingswear,

Quite the opposite in my experience. All the vegies I know seem at least as healthy as their omnivorous brethren. Maybe that's down to a greater awareness of what they eat, holistic outlook on life, or miracle suppliments, but I would expect it has a hell of a lot to do with the absence of meat.

Despite the propaganda, we can do without the huge dosages of animal consumption.

Anthropologists will point out that historically our forefathers were not "big" meat eaters, rather opporutunists. Occaisional meat meals consistsed of small rodents, lizards, birds etc rather than gorging on mammoths and antelope on a daily basis. We have the ability to eat them, but they aren't required, nor are the irreplaceable by other items in our diet.

Some pretty horrid figures have been thrown around about the increase in stomach cancer and heart disease as a result of our recent aquisition of excessive meat diets, not to mention the pounds of meat apparently rotting in the typical American gut.

Add to this the environmental degredation caused by livestock (if we were vegies we would get far more efficient use of that pasture) and vegetarianism starts to look like the way forward....and that's before we've even got in to the moral aspect....

....most of the vegies I know, certainly the ones who are veg for ethical reasons, openly admit they are being hypocritical by not going all the way to veganism. But at least they are aware of it, acknowledge it and in most cases are working towards it. Quite a difficult thing to do when almost everything you eat or wear has involved animals.

Being non-veg, I have to admit that is is decidedly strange that we do eat meat. Have you ever looked at a cow, horse, cat or dog and though "Mmmmmm, yummy!". Probably not.

Happy to eat a cow? Pig? Why not a cat? rat? or person for that matter? Sadly our carnivorous habits don't really stand up to closer inspection.

But as Homer once said, "if animals were'nt meant to be eaten, why did god make them out of meat?"

Parapunter
3rd May 2005, 10:08
OTOH Drapes, can't recall ever being bitten by one:p Hang on, stinging nettles:(

I've had a few friends down the years who were veggies but partial to a bacon srnie, oh & good sausages you know.:rolleyes:

Them frenchies don't have a word for vegan far as i can work out & they treat the countryside as a larder. Bloomin right too.

lexxity
3rd May 2005, 11:49
Can I attempt to kill this thread please,

if your having friends round for dinner, get a bloody takeout and everybody is happy, I know it's not the same as cooking, but there will be no arguments and everybody is happy as long as the host pays, have your friends bring a bottle and a good night is guaranteed.

Failing that, go out for a meal instead.

thank you and goodnight

lexx:cool:

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd May 2005, 12:03
A friend who'd been veggie for fifteen years snapped one night at a barbecue and disgraced herself with a pile of pork ribs. She's still veggie :rolleyes: but insists she only eats meat I prepare.:E

Edited to add that one was a faux veggie in the military. One figured out that the jamstealing chefs were lazy sods and would rather a veggie cooked for himself. Got turned loose in the kitchen and proceeded to indulge in the orficers steaks with blue cheese sauce while my fellow soldiers ate boiled bones and gravy. a couple of mates twigged and that eventually led to our undoing. "A" for effort and initiative saved our skinny butts, but we were the fittest soldiers in the army for two months while they ran the fat off us.:E

Safety_Helmut
3rd May 2005, 12:10
No meat at the wedding reception ? I assume the bride made an exception and allowed the groom to deliver a healthy portion in the evening ?

And as for veggies who eat fish, what on earth is that all about ?

Safety_Helmut

yintsinmerite
3rd May 2005, 12:34
As an omnivore, I quite enjoy dinner with veggie friends – they tend to be a bit more imaginative with vegetables than most omnis.

Very true - most non-veggies dont have a clue on how to cook vegetables anyway - how many times have you been served cabbage which is so overcooked, that it is limp and lifeless.

Both wife and daughter are leafeaters. When we have people around, we generally ask in advance if they are happy to have vegetarian food or if they would prefer a meat dish (which I then have to cook). Y'know, what, most of the time, they are happy with the veggie stuff (which disappoints me 'cos its another meatless meal :( )

slatsandflaps
3rd May 2005, 12:35
its with much amusement that I read the pages of this post .. .. as a dreaded veggie myself ( 4 years and not even a sly sausage ) I know where your coming from .

I never understood why veggies do not address the needs/wants of there guests when calling for a meal it always seems the case that meals on offer are vegetarian only and its a case of tough t*t ..
well I don't agree that it should be that way and have always catered for both by simply giving my guests a choice , some that take the veggie option are horrified at the taste and texture ( always have couple of spare meat dishes ) and some that love it.
But at least every one is free to try each and nobody ever leaves hungry ( or sick ... touch wood )
any way guess my point is that don't be afraid to ask if invited to a vegetarian household what's on offer , most veggies are a bit more adventurous in the kitchen so the dish may not be too you liking anyway so advise as such ... I know not always possible but when told I always adjust meal to suit the people and not the people to suit the meal ..
Vegetarians stand up for there believes , I have no problem in saying no to a meat dish why should ye be different .. and some of the comments made regarding vegetarians here are a bit general like .. we have wa*kers in every walk and style of life

p.s : for a interesting experiment try feeding quorn chicken ( style ) nuggets to your kids see if the notice the difference .. my friends kids haven't as of yet and they are very much heather and we know that in this day and age every little bit helps

eal401
3rd May 2005, 12:58
for a interesting experiment try feeding quorn chicken ( style ) nuggets to your kids see if the notice the difference
They probably have an equal chicken content to the non-veggie ones.

gatfield
3rd May 2005, 13:03
I haven't eaten anything that shits for 15 years.

Sure meat tastes nice , but if you are good at cooking you can make lots of different things taste nice.

I love cooking and enjoy having meat eaters over so I can cook them some decent vegie food.

Why do people have to eat meat in every meal for goodness sake? Its not good for you to eat alot of meat anyway. Number one killer in western countries is HEART DISEASE.

And the thing is - humans can make desicions not just based on what our tastes buds want. But we can make compassion choices cause we can think about things other than ourselves. I guess some people are so full of themselves, that would just be impossible.

ps - My observation over the years, most people do much better not eating meat health wise, but all people are different and some people do better with some small amount of meat in their diet. Thankfully I am not one of them

pps - dairy cows are definitely given a raw deal , even wosre than many animals that are killes for meat. But the reality is - that being 100% consistent with one's beliefs, is just not always possible when you are living in this world. How many other people are 100% consistent with their beliefs in other areas of their life?

PPPs - if you want to get meat in my house, sorry you have to be a dog. But then you also gets lots of veggies too!

BossEyed
3rd May 2005, 13:08
When offered a veggie dish, there is only one possible answer:

"Certainly not. That's what Food eats."

:ok:

Oh, as as for:

...veggies who eat fish, what on earth is that all about ?

Did't you know that Meat is Murder, but Fish is Justifiable Homicide? :rolleyes:

BlueDiamond
3rd May 2005, 13:30
Now there's an interesting thing ... why do some vegetarians like to pretend they're eating meat? What exactly is the point of "chicken nuggets" or "nut cutlets" or whatever they're called? Products that are made to look like meat for people who will not eat meat ... where does that bright idea come from? Don't vegetarians find that offensive?

ShyTorque
3rd May 2005, 13:35
>try feeding quorn chicken ( style ) nuggets to your kids see if the notice the difference .. my friends kids haven't as of yet and they are very much heather and we know that in this day and age every little bit helps<

HEATHER? Is that what quorn is? I always thought it was made from soya beans, but you learn something every day! I think that's going a bit far though. I would never try to get my kids to eat heather. :yuk:

slatsandflaps
3rd May 2005, 13:55
god damn spell checker worked against me there ... correction replace heather with healthier

Type
Form
Weight (g)
Calories (kcal)
per 100g
Fat per 100g

Fillets, Nuggets and Roasts
Frozen

Chicken Style Nuggets

Nutritional Information
Typical Values
per 100g
Per Nugget

Energy 866 kJ (207.0 kcal)
129.9 kJ (31.0 kcal)

Protein 10.3 g
1.5 g

Carbohydrate 16.7 g
2.5 g

of which sugars 2.0 g
0.3 g

Fats 11.0 g
1.7 g

of which saturates 1.3 g
0.2 g

Fibre 3.8 g
0.6 g

Sodium 0.6 g
0.1 g

General Information
Less than 2% saturated fat. Meat free

About Quorn not made of heather : ) .. this is from the web site not my own words though I think its quite nice

"Quorn™ products are healthy, delicious and meat free. The unique ingredient in all Quorn™ foods is mycoprotein which is a nutritious member of the fungi family, as are mushrooms, truffles and morels, and provides the taste and texture of a full range of meat products and ready meals, but is entirely meat free."

couldn't find any info at the mo but I remember we did compare at the time and fat was much reduced ..

>Now there's an interesting thing ... why do some vegetarians like to pretend they're eating meat? What exactly is the point of "chicken nuggets" or "nut cutlets" or whatever they're called? Products that are made to look like meat for people who will not eat meat ... where does that bright idea come from? Don't vegetarians find that offensive?<

not particularly its the meat I don't eat not the flavour ... oh my lord I even enjoy Smokey bacon crisp's and their not made of meat .. oh the horror of it .. have to admit I do love the smell rashers ( bacon )

Slats

Dead_Heading
3rd May 2005, 14:00
Raise and kill almost all of our own meat here, except the pigeons/rabbits/misc., which are put on the table compliments of either me and a '12 or me and an air rifle. I can't see how not eating meat is any healthier, as you need a certain balance in your diet, and eating just veg, or just meat, won't give you that balance unless specially designed. Humans were designed to eat meat, and I'd far rather the animals we raise were eaten than just wasted, or that the animals I shoot for that matter.

I know vegetarians who eat chicken for some reason. Of all animals in the food industry, I'd say they have the worst deal!

bear11
3rd May 2005, 14:06
I've never had a problem with people being vegetarian - each to their own - but can we get some things straight, please?

1) It's NOT a superior, healthier diet - it's a Deficient diet - fact, as you have to take vitamin B supplements if you're a vegetarian.

2) "Anthropologists will point out that historically our forefathers were not "big" meat eaters, rather opportunists. Occasional meat meals consisted of small rodents, lizards, birds etc rather than gorging on mammoths and antelope on a daily basis. We have the ability to eat them, but they aren't required, nor are they irreplaceable by other items in our diet." - spare me, please. It's precisely because our ancestors eat meat that we are now in a position to pontificate about how immoral, dangerous and undernourishing a meat diet is - put simply, we (ie; mankind) evolved far faster because we discovered meat as a superior source of energy - protein, specifically. Not to even mention the social effect, as people had to get organised to hunt larger animals.

So, if you're vegetarian, good for you, especially if it's for religious or genuine moral reasons. And I have no problems with veggie food, as long as it's edible - I wouldn't ask someone to cook food that they objected to. But don't lecture me - being a vegetarian doesn't make anyone an expert on food, as is painfully obvious from some of the vegetarians I've asked over the years to explain themselves. A lot of veggie propaganda is simply wrong - and in any case, if I wanted an opinion on butter, why would I ask the Flora Foundation? Anyone who has the basics of diet and nutrition knows that there is no definitive answer on what's good and bad for you regarding nutrition (other than excess of anything is bad) - it's the reason why all the shysters get away with selling the latest fad diets to gullible punters. So, go ahead and give me a few "scientific" references, and I'll Google out twice as many opposing ones in half the time and post them straight back to you.

Enough being serious - writing the above, I was humming a tune from the film "Dumb and Dumber" - the name of the band escapes me, but the song was about Mary Moe, the vegetarian girlfriend - the chorus went "She don't eat meat, but she sure like the bone".

Onan the Clumsy
3rd May 2005, 14:24
Wow there are some very defensive arguments being put forward from the non-veggie crowd here. I never would have thought that this thread would have run this long...with plenty more to go I'm sure :E

It's difficult to respond to the last post as I'm not sure we've really defined what we're discussing here. Are we talking about Only meat vs only veg? Mixed vs only veg? Store bought meat vs hunted/raised meat? Are we talking about the moral aspects of vegetarianism or the possible health benefits?

So to simply say "It's a defficient diet" doesn't really mean anything. Do the veggies here take vitamin B supplements? Likewise to say eating meat has allowed us to evolve faster (into what?) or stay around longer, well, once we're up to about a hundred million years, we can compare our longevity with the dinosaurs, both carniverous and vegetarian.

As for organising for a hunt; Sure humans organised to hunt. They also organised to go picking berries and they also created imaginitive solutions to enable them to store grains and roots.

I used to eat breakfast in diners a lot. Then we started having breakfast meetings in this one diner near work and I looked around me at the people who probably came there every day for breakfast. They were some of the most unhealthy looking people I've ever seen. I've not been in a diner much since then.

slatsandflaps
3rd May 2005, 14:36
OTC : on the vitamins part most veggies I know including myself take a good quality muti vit .. that seems to do the trick for me any how .. I have never had any problems

As for the thread running this long .. its food man course it would..close to peoples heart's see

bear11
3rd May 2005, 14:59
Onan,

That was a bit waffly for you! "It's a deficient diet" means that if you follow it you'll get sick because it's lacking in a key nutrient, ie; the phrase has a scientific meaning.

As I said, I'm not anti-vegetarian - I just don't like people talking through their hat in an effort to feel superior. I do remember one eejit proudly telling me a few years ago that even her cat was a vegetarian. I told her if she only fed it vegetables she would kill it, whereupon she got very upset with me! Say after me: car-ni-vore. From the latin carne - MEAT. Duuh.

Dave Martin
3rd May 2005, 15:15
Bear11,

Simply not true. Vitamin suppliments are not required at all, but slightly more care should be taken with a veg diet to ensure what is missed can be gained by other foods. Then again, that is no different from meat-eaters needing to take more care with their diets due to their meat intake....problem is, by and large they don't.

Sadly eating more meat is making us evolve in another negative way - shorter lifespans.

Simple fact is we should be eating much much less meat than the typical western fatty does these days. You can live without it completely, but if you can't, one portion of meat a week should be more than sufficient.

I think you'll find vegetarians for the most part are more likely to be educated about diet simply due to the fact they have taken an active interest in the topic (no doubt having had to rethink even the most basic fundamentals of their diet) and will have researched their own eating habits as a result. Most of the population just consumes what is on the menu, unless prescribed a diet for medical reasons.

No need to feel threatened by the "veggie agenda". I for one ain't a veggie, but given my own personal moral stance I am totally aware that until I stop eating meat I am being a hypocrate. I suspect reasonably soon I will probably be veg, but at the same time I fully expect to lapse - a visit to a restaurant, dinner with friends etc.

Even if I'm not a perfect veg'o at least it will be a step in what I perceive to be the right direction. No doubt my grandchildren will look on our generations eating habits (and the animal cruelty and environmental degredation that comes with it) and be aghast. I hope so anyway.

Onan the Clumsy
3rd May 2005, 15:26
Fair point bear

However, I can't respond to whether or not vegetarians need dietary supplements as I don't know. I think there are probably enough vegetarians in the world though for this to not be the case.

Got to agree with you re the cat though. My understanding is that they need pretty much just meat with perhaps a side dish of fur or feathers. They can even eat great hunks of fat without it affecting them.

As to whether one diet is superior to the other, it's hard to say unless the two were listed. I think meat alone would be insufficient for a human.

One thing that may be superior in a vegetarian diet is the avoidence of chemicals like antibiotics, growth hormones, curing agents and preservatives that supposedly saturate the (store bought) meat supply and then find their way into our bodies.

btw, like I said earlier, I am a confirmed meat and potatoes man myself :ok:

Dave Martin
3rd May 2005, 16:00
Onan,

Cats seem to suffer adverse kidney problems here though, but I suspect that has more to do with a "milk and cat-bikkies" diet.

Funnily enough, cats in South East Asia seem to eat identical meals to their owners (or should that be pets). Rice and fish. Doesn't seem to harm them and it's usually more rice than fish.

Darth Nigel
3rd May 2005, 16:12
Cats are obligate carnivores, in that they lack certain enzymes in their tummies to properly digest plant matter.
Here's (http://www.homevet.com/petcare/feedingyourcat.html) a couple (http://www.fabcats.org/feeding.html) of links that address this.

Now there are some radical vegans out there (one of whom, Jed Gillen, has written a book on how to turn your cat into a vegetarian) who tend to use phrases like companion animal and " buy dead animal parts to feed to her", but it is probably obvious that if you are vegetarian/vegan for ethical reasons, then a ruthless and efficient predator is probably not the right pet for you. (This from someone who owns four moggies. so I'm using "ruthless and efficient" as a compliment)

Onan the Clumsy
3rd May 2005, 16:14
"Owns" ? :hmm:

Let's start another thread here :p

bear11
3rd May 2005, 17:02
Dave,

the reason vegetarians are more educated about what they eat is because they have to be:

http://www.vegsoc.org/info/b12.html

http://www.vegansociety.com/html/food/nutrition/b12/

http://www.kidzworld.com/site/p3002.htm

while being more educated is no harm at all, I quote from the Vegetarian Society link, "Human faeces can contain significant B12. A study has shown that a group of Iranian vegans obtained adequate B12 from unwashed vegetables which had been fertilised with human manure. Faecal contamination of vegetables and other plant foods can make a significant contribution to dietary needs, particularly in areas where hygiene standards may be low. This may be responsible for the lack of aneamia due to B12 deficiency in vegan communities in developing countries." - very educational.

Now, admittedly, I'm choosing what suits me (although not cheating, using sources that should be acceptable to you), but equally I'm not using phrases like "Sadly eating more meat is making us evolve in another negative way - shorter lifespans." Who says, The Daily Mirror? I don't believe that my lifespan will be shorter because I eat meat and you can't prove it, and it's this kind of spin which I object to - the rational reasons for vegetarianism I can accept, but not this stuff.

cavortingcheetah
3rd May 2005, 17:17
;) I understand from my sources that cannibals in the South Seas shunned the consumption of sailors who were unlucky enough to fall into their hands. They might have eaten the brains but found the meat of these carnivores too unsavoury for their palates.
Instead, they preferred to continue to eat their own kind who, with the exception of the odd flesh feast, were vegetarian.
There would seem to be no reliable information as to the relative succulence or otherwise of the dedicated vegan.:hmm:

Keef
3rd May 2005, 19:49
I can see why vegetarians "on principle" would object to preparing meat for dinner guests. We have vegetarian friends, but it's made clear that if they eat with us, they will have to put up with our carnivorous preferences.

When we go there, we eat what we're offered. If it tasted awful, I wouldn't eat it. If that's impolite, well, so be it. It's never happened yet - in fact, I've been pleasantly surprised at some of the dishes we've been fed.

One friend of my daughter's almost spits the words "meat eater!" at me, and makes it very plain that she despises my meat-eating habits. She doesn't get invited here any more. She's also often ill, we suspect because of poor diet as a result of her vegan habit.

No, I haven't teased her with "how do you think the lettuce feels about being killed and eaten?". Nor have I played her the "dish of the day" bit out of the hitchhiker's guide.

Dead_Heading
3rd May 2005, 20:29
It's odd. I ended up on Dartmoor for 4 days with a vegan, doing DofE and teambuilding stuff. Absolutely stirling lass. Got on really well with her, didn't make a huge thing about being a vegan or whatever, in fact our belifs couldn't really be more at odds. Wasn't an iussue, didn't even realise she was vegan till she turned down me fried brekky.
What I do dislike is veggies who take the moral high ground with me, and seem to use the fact that they're veggies to define themselves as a person, and oddly enough, she agreed with me.

All the more steak for me :ok:

3rd May 2005, 20:48
In my opinion, vegetarianism falls into the same catagory as religion, politics, and homosexuality.

Each to his own. I don't care what people eat, believe in, or do in their own home, as long as it doesn't affect me, and they don't try to convert me.

XXTSGR
3rd May 2005, 23:21
"What's the plat du jour?"
"Dish of the day in French, sir"

:cool:

mini
3rd May 2005, 23:24
If animals weren't meant to be eaten, they wouldn't taste like meat...

tony draper
3rd May 2005, 23:27
That true mini.
I can remember all the way back to when chicken actually had a taste.

gatfield
3rd May 2005, 23:30
Blue Diamond,

I think some Vegos find meat alternatives offensive, cos some look and taste like meat. I personally am not into them - but my hubby loves them. It helps with people who for whatever reason give up meat but they are they are brought up on eating meat and it helps them change to a different diet. And well alot of vegies don't care - cos well - no animals suffered !!

Bear11,

If you do a bit more reading you will find that the problem is with B12, and this is cos the major source is animal products. So it is only really a problem for vegans. There are non animal sources like mushrooms and seaweed but it is not know exactly how much we need and and there are not consistent amounts in these products.

You will find people in wetern countires are not dying form B12 deficiencies but heart disease and cancer. If you do a bit more reading you will find there are strong links between these and eating too much animal products , including meat. But you can stick your head in the sand, and ignore it .

allan907
4th May 2005, 02:38
Can I class myself as a vegetarian? I only eat things that eat grass.

Loose rivets
4th May 2005, 06:03
Oh no!

As a meat eater with a veggie wife, (33 years she prompted me today, when I mentioned this thread.) I was just leaving the room when Opra introduced the Doctor that was on Clinton's surgical team. His name is Oz. I watched the whole program.

Although he is a heart surgeon, he was showing the (real gut, aorta, liver and kidneys of folk that were diseased v well....except they were dead of course.

The gut of the meat eater--he assured us that it was typical–was grotesque. Someone mentioned above, meat rotting away in American's guts, this is exactly what is happening. Both patients had died c 33 years old I think, so not mutilated by aging...just being used as a mulching bag.

The dangers of eating meat seem bewilderingly high, though the biggest most important single factor it seems, is blood pressure.

He was a charismatic guy, and he was joined by the senior surgeon of the team, later in the program. Together they have written a book, and were of course promoting it, but frankly I got the gut feeling, ho-ho, that the science was sound.

If the thread runs, I'll get their names right, and the name of the book "You.... ?......?"

So impressed was I, that I will put huge effort into weaning my grand-kids off meat. My daughter is a long term veggie, but my boys are not. They're going to be a little resistant methinks. Me? Mmmm, I just keep visualizing one of my 2" thick steaks while I'm typing this.

:ugh:

cavortingcheetah
4th May 2005, 06:35
:) Dear Rivets,

I do a lot of US travelling. in fact I grew up there, American mother, just like Churchill!
With the greatest of respect, the sheer quantity of meat portions in the USA staggers me when I visit a restaurant over there. My wife and I usually order one steak and a spare plate in order to split the meat. Meat in this country (UK) is deplorable in comparison with that over there and since so many of us here live on the poverty line, we can't afford it all the time. (UK government definition of the poverty line is any family on 60% or less of the average national income).
Further, I remember that choking to death on food is a very major cause of death amongst males in The States. The average size of the piece of meat extracted from the gullet of the gourmand is the size of a cruchproof packet of cigarettes.
I think that Europeans are less likely to be carried away by an excess of carniverous enthusiasm than our cousins across the old pond. I believe that in The Far East, meat poisoning, for want of a better phrase, is unknown. However, there they have various forms of lethal Sushi which get the gourmet writhing in agony on the floor before expiring in a froth of fishy phlegm.

Remember The Alamo!
Regards.cc

Loose rivets
5th May 2005, 05:06
No wonder this guy impressed me. A quick probe on Google showed other interesting facets.

"Today, Dr. Oz is vice chair of surgery and professor of cardiac surgery at Columbia University. He directs the Cardiovascular Institute and is a founder and medical director of the Integrative Medicine program at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center. He is the author of the award-winning book Healing From the Heart and more than 350 other publications. He has appeared on television and has been interviewed in national magazines and newspapers to discuss his success with complementary medicine. He also holds several patents."

Further, I remember that choking to death on food is a very major cause of death amongst males in The States. The average size of the piece of meat extracted from the gullet of the gourmand is the size of a cruchproof packet of cigarettes

Horrifying.

Perhaps it is fortunate that meat prices are going up here; though steak in resteraunts seems cheaper than the shops.

Unwell_Raptor
5th May 2005, 07:31
What's this rubbish about meat rotting away in the guts? I am no doctor, but I do know that the food that I put in my mouth exits some way lower down my body after being processed. In my case it's beeen like that for 58 years. Assuming that you eat at least a little fibre, where is this 'rotting meat' going to hide?

redsnail
5th May 2005, 09:14
Absolutely.
Scoff some rice and a mango and for the full effect (excuse pun) some celery and nothing will remain in the intestinal tract. It'll be literally swept clean. :D
You'll be kilos lighter :D

Dave Martin
5th May 2005, 09:34
Raptor,

I think it has to do with the difficulty the gut has in breaking down meat, especially large quantities.

It's not even so easily digestible in small quantitites, but if you up the intake apparently the meat will start to rot before the body can fully digest it.

On the whole not a positive state of affairs. But that said, I understand there are possibly some veg type foods that are also difficult to digest, but 2lb of rump steak probably is the worst!

eal401
5th May 2005, 09:48
One friend of my daughter's almost spits the words "meat eater!" at me, and makes it very plain that she despises my meat-eating habits.
Such people should be rounded up and dumped on a remote island.

Or just given a very big slap.

BombayDuck
5th May 2005, 10:34
a question....

how many of your veggie friends (couples, esp) actually KNOW how to cook non-vegetarian?

It struck me that since it is more of a religious thing here, generations of families havent eaten meat and so they wouldnt know the first thing about cooking it, let alone offering you a dish when you come calling!

Alpha Leader
14th Aug 2005, 05:00
All I can say - from a country where a large section of the population is vegetarian for ostensibly sound religious reasons: the same vegetarians don't seem to have any inhibitions buying expensive leather shoes or bags made possibly form their ancestors' buttocks..... nor are they impartial to leather automobile interiors.

It's interesting to see what happens when vanity gets in the way of religion :p

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Aug 2005, 05:10
Some cultures have a tradition of eating a lot of meat. I have family members in their 80s who still farm in the desert and live almost exclusively on meat. The old guy is fit and healthy and does a full day's work each day. He's also a laid back old bugger who takes a lot of negativity to get upset.

Compare that to the angry frothing vegetarians slumped in front of a computer....:E

Krystal n chips
14th Aug 2005, 07:08
I just work on the principle that if it's free-and edible !--then I will eat whatever is offered. :p

Given that I quite enjoy cooking however, and variety, then a veggie dish often appears on the menu---meat is not an essential after all.

However, when the lecturers begin about meat eating / animal cruelty etc--and are delivered with a dogmatic approach, then a succinct "bolleaux" usually works. :E

ORAC
14th Aug 2005, 07:37
Trivia:

Carni, as in carnivore, is also the rootword for carnival.

Christians traditionally fasted during Lent, which begins on Ash Wednesday. Thus, the custom developed of eating up any meat and meat products left in the house on the Tuesday before, Shrove Tuesday in English, but in French, Mardi Gras, "Fat Tuesday”.

For many people, this developed into a time to get together with family and friends for a party before the somber season of Lent. This meat-eating festival then expanded into a more formal grand celebration - Carnival.

Playtime_fontayne
14th Aug 2005, 07:39
What would all the animals do if we didnt eat them??!

I cant understand people who are opposed to meat because of the killing etc, But still eat fish?

Dont the fish feel pain when they die?:confused:

BlueDiamond
14th Aug 2005, 08:23
Carrot Juice is Murder
Arrogant Worms)

Listen up brothers and sisters, come hear my desperate tale
I speak of our friends of nature, trapped in the dirt like a jail
Vegtables live in oppression, served on out tables each night
This killing of veggies is madness, I say we take up the fight
Salads are only for murderers, cole slaw's a fascist regime
Don't think that they don't have feelings, just cause a radish can't scream

I've heard the screams of the vegetables, watching their skins being peeled
Grated and steamed with no mercy.. how do you think that feels?
Carrot juice constitutes murder.. greenhouses prisons for slaves
It's time to stop all this gardening.. let's call a spade a spade.

I saw a man eating celery, so I beat him black and blue
If he ever touches a sprout again, I'll bite him clean in two
I'm a political prisoner, trapped in a windowless cage
'cause I stopped the slaughter of turnips, by killing five men in a rage
I told the judge when he sentenced me, this is my finest hour..
I'd kill those farmers again, just to save one more cauliflower

How low as people do we dare to stoop
Making our broccolis bleed in the soup
Untie your beans, uncage your tomatoes
Let potted plants free, don't mash that potato!

Is a spade is a spade is a spade is a... spade ......

AntiCrash
14th Aug 2005, 13:54
My friend gave me a great vegetarian recipe but neglected to say how they scream so, when you cook them. It caught my quite by surprise it did.

:(

Solid Rust Twotter
14th Aug 2005, 14:20
Gorra vegetarian recipe too but it says nothing about how to dispose of the kaftans and hippy sandals when they're done. Need to give them a good scrub and dusting with flea powder before cooking as well as the whole Earth Mother thing is getting a bit ripe....:yuk:

CUNIM
14th Aug 2005, 14:25
Darn it! Reading this all about veggieburgers has just reminded me that I was going to have a slice of black pudding with my bacon, sausage, eggs, fried bread and tomato this morning. You have all upset my day Grrrrr.

Every New Year morning, we had to go to a veggie lunch, however a good fry up beforehand does wonders. To cook vegetarian dishes you need to be a good cook and take a bit of lovin' care. I love Indian vegetarian dishes - they do it proper.

cyclicmicky
14th Aug 2005, 14:26
If we were meant to be veggies,.............why are animals made of meat???
:}

favourite_gas
14th Aug 2005, 14:29
Although I am not a veggie, I can kind of understand where they are coming from. However, what really boils my p*ss are 'veggies' who eat fish and other seafood (quite alot of my veggie friends do). Does anyone else find this utterly confusing?

tart1
14th Aug 2005, 14:52
Well I like vegetarians ........ but I couldn't eat a whole one! :p

Turkish777
14th Aug 2005, 15:23
I agree Fav Gas, I personally dont eat meat or poultry but I don't claim to be a vegetarian...Im very much embarrassed about my choice in diet and would never advertise the fact . And unlike most of the so called freaky non meaters mentioned on here I have no problem in sharing the same barbeque or preparing meat for a normal meat eater....God I didnt realise how offended people get by someones preference in diet...8 pages..........:confused:

Well one thing which turned out beneficial is I had very low cholesterol on my JAA medical...:D

tart1
14th Aug 2005, 15:33
And another thing ........ from earlier in this thread, vegetarians supposedly suffer

Constipation and Diarrhoea (sometimes simultaneously)

How does that work then? :confused:

favourite_gas
14th Aug 2005, 15:35
verbal diarrhoea perhaps.....?

RaraAvis
15th Aug 2005, 09:41
Have no problem with vegetarians but has anyone here had the 'pleasure' of meeting a live n' kicking fruitarian? Traumatizing experience if there ever was one...The ultimate food-Nazi's from hell I say:uhoh: :{

Apparently they eat only fruit which has fallen from the tree as not to hurt the tree (or the fruit, can't remember which)?!?
:confused: :hmm:

Vegetarians are considered almost as evil as omnivores (carnivores of course are two steps below the Devil himself and should be banished to 7th circle of hell, pronto). Their beef :} with vegetarians boils down to the fact that carrots and similar have feelings and are killed when unearthed?!? :rolleyes:

Got this from Fruitarians website :
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fruitarians eat fruit only and prefer fruits to vegetables because of the higher quality of fruits as food stuff and because eating fruits alone, the fruitarian participate in the nature way of propagating life, spreading the seeds of fruits (we co-operate with the reproduction of new trees and new fruit) and living
without killing any form of life which happens when eating vegetables(you have to plant them again)

Fruitarianism is the highest moral concept of nutrition…and is the biological support for high levels of physical, mental, moral and spiritual well-being….you really are what you eat!

Cooked food eating creates physical and emotional addiction to the person who eats it…

If you eat cooked foods and in particular flesh of animals, then your body is automatically poisoned and you condemned to develop in yourself a lot of low quality of thoughts, feelings and emotions…and if you want to develop high levels of intellectual, artistic or spiritual life then you will have to go on big "sweat" and maybe pain to conquer your goals…with fruit nutrition, the results of your creation will be brilliant, colorful and enchanting…
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GETA
15th Aug 2005, 15:52
There are also sproutarians and liquidarians :confused:

Stoney X
15th Aug 2005, 15:59
I've tried being a liquidarian a few times. As much as I try I can't do more than a few hours on beer alone before I succumb to a meat curry :E

tart1
15th Aug 2005, 16:10
Life is very simple for breatharians, I believe. :rolleyes:

colmac747
15th Aug 2005, 19:12
Being a carnivore there's nothing better than getting in a car, driving along and seeing it in the distance.

You put the accelerator to the floor, lights full beam, and go for it..

...you arrive at your chosen "kill" and crunch:mad:

Nothing better than seeing a piece of Quorn fly over the roof and hit the opposite side of the road..

HandspringGuy
15th Aug 2005, 22:13
....if they only had enough energy :p

16 blades
16th Aug 2005, 02:32
VEGETARIANS:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/images/bigpot6.jpg