PDA

View Full Version : Nimrod Question

PhilM
1st May 2005, 21:52
If you are sat in either of the Pilot's seats on a Nimrod, is the refueling probe visible out of the windshield? Or do you have to lean forward to see it?

Anyone got any pictures that may show this?

Cheers! :ok:

Mad_Mark
1st May 2005, 22:00
No, the pilots have to move the seats right the way back on the rails and then crouch on the floor in order to fly the probe into the basket :rolleyes:

PhilM
1st May 2005, 22:02
Ah, sh*t, sorry mate, I always thought they stuck their heads out of the hatch on the top....just needed clarification ;)

stbd beam
1st May 2005, 22:11
Yes it is visible without leaning forward.

Check out pics on line of the old gal and you'll see quite how long the probe is. www.airliners.net - search for nimrod - lots of pics.

Charlie Luncher
1st May 2005, 22:34
Stbd
How is the air pooh separator valve these days, you had some problems in your youth I was thinking as you get older well you know:rolleyes: .
Regards to Mrs Beam
Charlie sends:=

Sideshow Bob
2nd May 2005, 10:39
Stbd,
Trust you to know where all the really sad spotter pics are. Probe can be sean quite well from flight deck, seats are lowered during AAR to give a better picture though.

richlear
2nd May 2005, 20:47
The best view was kneeling on the floor just behind the pilots, in front of the eng.

I remember a radio silent night AAR on ops somewhere over Iceland in the mid-80's ...I spent the whole time watching...excellent

shandyman
7th May 2005, 01:04
PhilM
Got some pics taken during AAR from the port beam and from the cockpit. If you want some just PM me with address and I will gladly post them on!
Sortie was a while ago (2002) but still relevant for your needs methinks.

Milt
7th May 2005, 01:22
Another Nimrod Question

What is/was the flight control feel system on the Nimrod ?

TPs at Boscombe Down were highly critical - unacceptable - of the spring feel system fitted to the Comet 2C and required a change to Q feel. (half rho V squared).

DaveyBoy
7th May 2005, 12:51
http://www.davehiggins.org.uk/gfx/kif_0069.jpg

Mad_Mark
7th May 2005, 16:32
Dave,

Is it really a good idea to create a website about yourself, saying what you do, photo, etc :confused: I bet the RTI guys would love that, if you ever end up on a CSRO course :p Your 'Bio' page must give them lots to 'talk' about :ok:

MadMark!!! :mad:

p.s. Do the rest of your colleagues know that you have plastered their photographs on the Internet ? :eek:

stbd beam
7th May 2005, 21:17
Charlie - Many, many more stories on that particular subject since you left. My favourite is the episode on THE bridge at Curacao - apparently the locals have changed the picture on the appropriate postcard to suit ............

SB - been baiting any pilots yet you 'orrible little man ???

Regards will be passed on to the Doris.

Mad_Mark
7th May 2005, 23:09
Mike,

I know nothing about what was, or is now, in Daves profile. He has left a much better trail that leads straight to all you want to know about the ex-206 baby nav and his colleagues :ok:

As for your other comment, well you have just exhibited your accute lack of knowledge on the role of the Mighty Hunter in the Royal Air Force of today :hmm:

MadMark!!! :mad:

DaveyBoy
8th May 2005, 02:51
My profile hasn't changed, but you could have a point about the bio page...

if an interrogator started singing reading my favourite poem to me I might just crack... we'll have to wait and see:-)

RIP Douglas Adams.

Dave

markerboy
10th May 2005, 11:43
As those of us in the know will no doubt be aware, pictures of the mighty hunter's crew being posted on the web may undoubtedly be used by the ball twisters on RTI.

Many thanks to DB for allowing the identities to be made public.
:mad: