PDA

View Full Version : First Barbeque of the Season

STANDTO
1st May 2005, 21:49
Well, despite appalling rain this morning, and a stiff south-westerly this afternoon, the trust Weber was dragged out of the shed and fired up. A nice bit of sirloin, a few chicken legs washed down with a drop or two. However, May seems a bit of a p*ss poor effort if I am honest!

Question is, though, what is the record for the earliest squadron barbie in the British Isles? detachments don't count I am afraid, and there are some simple rules:

The cooking must have been carried out exposed to the elements, tended for the full cooking period by a 'Barbiemaster'

beverages served must have been cold. Events fortified by hot chocolate and coffee are declared void.

Guests must have spent at least thirty minutes outside.

Any takers??
:cool:

BEagle
1st May 2005, 21:58
Had my first barbi' of this year just before the clocks went forward... And a few years ago had a barbi' at a chum's place on Boxing Day.

Our UAS had the odd barbi' during Winter Camp (January) - and I can assure you that the studes did NOT drink coffee or hot chocolate!

Solid Rust Twotter
2nd May 2005, 06:06
Damned fool South African team used to braai on the ice down South, regardless of the cold. Beer was placed around the edge of the grill (fire in split 200 litre oil drum.) to keep it at a drinkable temperature and only bite sized pieces of meat were cut off the chunk on the grill, to be consumed immediately to avoid freezing it solid in -25 deg C temperatures. Military angle was use of SAAF Pumas to ferry folks and supplies around when the SA Babbelas was in town once a year.

rivetjoint
2nd May 2005, 07:04
More importantly which is best, gas or charcoal?

Lionel Lion
2nd May 2005, 07:36
Charcol = man fun of creating fire = male hormones = more attractive to women = more beer = more fun = biting arm off in morning

:E

Gas is for girls

Sloppy Link
2nd May 2005, 07:38
The sort of person who uses gas also wears a flying suit to a bar having not flown there. He will own a pair of flying gloves that he claims he only uses for driving. He will own a pair of flying boots because he has "problems with my feet". He will own a pair of Ray-Banns or such llike and a leather jacket. He will wear all of these items whilst at the computer terminal on Airbus or Longbow. He is actually capable of flying as much as he is barbequieing (sp?).
He is a bluffer, don't trust him.

STANDTO
2nd May 2005, 10:07
It was an ex-pat naval aviator who lives near my mum in the med that introduced me to the joys of charcoal. I had been a gas fan up till then. Whilst my old man was ill, he invited my wife, the kids and I round for a few cold ones and some food, cooked on a Weber. It was so good I bought one straight away when I went home. The oddest thing is just putting the lid on and leaving it to cook. No flames, no drama, just superbly cooked succulent food.

The high point was when my little lad dropped his nintendo gameboy in the pool. In went our host, who fished it out, and a quick dismantle and two hours in the sun dried it out completely. Still going strong to this day!

Charcoal every time. Makes you plan ahead and apply a bit of patience to the whole thing.

Just as well I went for it yesterday. Raining again now :(

PileUp Officer
2nd May 2005, 10:33
Just as well I went for it yesterday. Raining again now

My weather is totally out of synch with everyone else’s! Friday was perfect; Saturday was utterly rubbish despite being promised as awesome. Yesterday was rubbish ‘oop North’ but really nice once I got down to London and now today is awesome again in the Midlands!

joe2812
2nd May 2005, 11:07
We did a BBQ in Aviemore (sp?) on Christmas day after a skiing trip one year while it snowed.

Eatings ribs off a barbeque while dressed in coats, hats, gloves etc was certainly novel.

allan907
2nd May 2005, 16:05
At least down here one can issue the invites to a BBQ a month before the event and know that everything will be OK - winter or summer:}

Axel-Flo
2nd May 2005, 16:42
Without trying to get into a "Black Cat" event, we did a Barbie on New Years eve 1998 into 1999, in Scotland, wearing kilts and drinking frozen Margarita's then lay down on the grass to A.....stop the sky spinning round, and B...to point out the constelations to girls at said bash.....Top event and no need to chew yer arm off when the chicks you invite are all gorgeous to start with.;)

Roland Pulfrew
2nd May 2005, 18:48
New Year's Day (in IIRC 1997). Kinloss village. Temp scraped up to +1 C. We had just handed over SAR to one of the lesser Sqns. Dress - Hawaiian - Obviously. The hosts kept fighting over the BBQ, it was the warmest spot in the house!:cool: :cool:

Pontius Navigator
2nd May 2005, 20:49
And how many of you Jamie Olivers cook real meat?

Did a 14lb Turkey breast stuffed with sausage meat and the skin under laid with bacon. Wrapped in foil and sat on a foil baking tray. Took just 5 hours, done to a turn.

Cold but had 'em queuing for a slice.

STANDTO
2nd May 2005, 21:14
now THAT is extreme barbequeing! A demi-god amongst us laydeez an gennelmenn
:ok:

santiago15
2nd May 2005, 22:44
I remember a 'black'flag' day at Linton, when the freezing fog had set in late January. The studes trooped out of met brief discussing a run in to York.

The Sqn boss was away and Flt Cdr ordered every stude to stay at work. He dispached 2 studes to Tescos for muchos meat and beer (all out of the Sqn Fund!!) The BBQ was up and running by 11, and we all stood outside eating burgers with our flying gloves on. Most of us didn't leave until late afternoon.........leathered!!!! Hope that kind of stuff still goes on.

Happy Days

Solid Rust Twotter
3rd May 2005, 06:52
Real meat?

In this neck of the woods, one is fortunate to have access to Blue Bull steaks. Around seven pounds of prime beef cut 2 inches thick.

They come off the grill pink in the middle and dissolve like butter.

Alternatively, just dangle a lamb over the embers for around 3 hours. Got a spit that runs on the newfangled beer timer (patent pending). Give the beast a quarter turn after each beer and it cooks perfectly crisp on the outside and slightly pink and tender on the thicker bits. Inject with a marinade of red wine, malt vinegar, brown sugar, salt and lemon juice before going on the spit and continue basting with same with the addition of fresh chopped rosemary and sage after each beer.