PDA

View Full Version : ScotAir Gears Up for New Jet!!

david_wilding
1st May 2005, 16:40
Scot Airways have just announced they are taking delivery of a BAe 146 aircraft to take over some rotations on the popular LCY-EDI route!

This should improve the airline dramatically! we may actually see some new exciting stuff from them for a long time!

NO links to airlines advertising their business. It may have escaped your notice but a great deal of money was spent yesterday to upgrade the PPRuNe server. It is paid for from the proceeds of advertising ------- GET THE POINT - Don't do it!

StarAllianceGold
1st May 2005, 18:00
The Scot Airways website states:

"Departing from Edinburgh at 07.50 the new jet aircraft will return from London City at 17.15."

So does that mean the aircraft will be sitting at London City for much of the day?

Also seems a bit of a stretch to describe it as a "new" jet.

Good luck to them anyway.

VIKING9
1st May 2005, 18:29
Is it a wet lease operation or are Scot operating it themselves on their own AOC ?

Fried_Chicken
1st May 2005, 18:41
I thought that Titan were to operate these flights on behalf of SAY?

Fried Chicken

Say again s l o w l y
1st May 2005, 19:26
Yes, it's a wet lease from Titan.

VIKING9
2nd May 2005, 05:32
How long have Titan been licenced to op into LCY with the 146 ?

MOR
2nd May 2005, 06:44
For ages - did it for flybe for six months or so.

Really shows the folly of flybe handing that route to Scotairways, doesn't it...

Lite
2nd May 2005, 11:39
I was always surprised why Scot Airways never chose the Dornier 328Jet to supplement or replace the turboprop fleet, I'm guessing that for the sort of flights the airline does its uneconomic to operate a jet when you can use a prop?

I can see why people use Scot over no-frills airlines into London, mainly LCY, smaller planes & a fairly good onboard product. It would be nice to see them expand.

Out of interest, do we have any Scot employees on the board?

Meeb
2nd May 2005, 17:10
I believe the Titan 146 is being used for another operator during the period between arrival from EDI and departure from LCY. I also believe that a deal was done because otherwise the aircraft would have been sat doing nowt for the whole day, they have a contract out of LCY and this gets the EDI based airframe down there for the subsequent contract. Pretty neat scheduling... if my sources are correct anyway... ;)

VIKING9
2nd May 2005, 18:18
So if it goes tech during the other operators schedule, Scot suffer ??

Meeb
2nd May 2005, 19:22
CB have a based aircraft at LCY and spare aircraft at EDI so doubt a tech problem would affect them too much, and anyway, pretty industry standard procedure they way it is being planned.

TCAS FAN
2nd May 2005, 21:26
Might be an idea to get the 146 down to SOU, and start exploiting the SOU/AMS route. With TOM operating from Bournemouth, at a fraction of the SOU/AMS prices, SAY better start praying that TOM don't get more slots into AMS.

niknak
2nd May 2005, 22:18
TCAS FAN

I think I am right in saying that SAY have interline facilities at AMS, whereas TOM don't.

i.e. If you travel from SOU, you can check yourself and your baggage all the way through to your eventual destination if you have a connecting flight at AMS. If you were travelling from BOH, you would have to check in again at AMS, which is a real pain if you have luggage and others in your party.

Additionally, if you are "interlining" via AMS form SOU, the sector fare SOU - AMS will be based on the cheapest available, which is is not necessarilly the case at Bournmouth.

This is the reason that KLM have hung onto a lot of UK regional routes to AMS, because there are very few opportunities for other airlines to "interline" at AMS, and, as things stand, no chance what so ever for the Lo Cost ones.

I'm suprised that this hasn't come under the scrutiny of the mighty EEC, but there you are....:rolleyes:

david_wilding
8th May 2005, 07:44
Referring back to ScotAirways' 'new' jet, has anyone actually seen it yet? i beleive its due to enter service tomorrow. Nothing found on Airliners.net

A Titan 146?

Oshkosh George
8th May 2005, 18:08
Perhaps customers are flocking to the 'attractions' of BACX's jet service,and SAY just want to pull some back? This would not have been foreseen maybe?

BALIX
10th May 2005, 15:49
Dunno about the livery, but it uses a Scotair (Suckling) callsign. Saw it for the first time inbound EDI yesterday. Passed one of the Dorniers flying the other way in the vicinity of Talla VOR.

WHBM
10th May 2005, 16:54
Just wondering, if the jet is on CB 764 southbound, arriving LCY at 0915, what operates CB 765 departing at 1000 northbound ? Nothing else seems about at LCY at that time.

The return jet flight CB 787 at 1715 has always been operated by the aircraft which spends the day at LCY.

WHBM
11th May 2005, 10:38
A surprising Press Release has appeared on the LCY website about the new jet service today:

http://www.londoncityairport.com/news/index.htm

"BA tailing Scot Airways ...."

"..... ensuring the airline continues to soar ahead of competitor British Airways, which only provides five flights a day on the same route."

Now it is great for an airport to promote it's airlines, but they always need to be impartial between their various customers. Doing an LCY Press Release of one airline putting down another is not on. Good on Scot Airways for pointing out their own advantages in their own material, but LCY should surely not just cut-and-paste it as their own.

Frequent Flyer
11th May 2005, 11:23
I can assure you that Scot Airways are using a Titan 146 on that route, it started Monday.

Seaton Approach
11th May 2005, 20:02
I was always surprised why Scot Airways never chose the Dornier 328Jet to supplement or replace the turboprop fleet

From memory I think that discussions at the time between SAY and Fairchild-Dornier to get the 328Jet modified for LCY Ops weren't successful; maybe someone else can verify this???

Out of interest, do we have any Scot employees on the board?

Ex-SAY... Had a great couple of years there. Like any smalll business, there were plenty of ups and downs. Hard work, but then we played hard too. Some real characters to say the least!

The over-night CRM courses at CBG were legendary, and I'm sure Merlyn still doesn't know to this day that we got 20 crew booked into the Grafton for the over-night when there were just 10 on the course - a great night had by all, and some absentees on Day 2 of the course too! :E

Good luck for the future Scot, keep on rockin'! :ok:

aerfungus
11th May 2005, 21:15
They are using G-ZAPO, they have put a small Scot Airways logo on the side.
It spends most the day sitting on a remote stand.

WHBM
12th May 2005, 12:56
I'm sure Merlyn still doesn't know to this day that we got ...

Well she does now !

Anyone see significant excerpts from "Darling, lets start an Airline", the BBC TV programme (I believe it was in the old "Money Programme" series) of about 15 years ago, that was repeated on Sunday morning just a few weeks ago ? I saw it by chance. It featured Roy and Merlyn starting their first scheduled service from Cambridge (or maybe even Ipswich) to Amsterdam. Merlyn did all the cooking of the in-flight meals at home (actually a chef friend did the actual work there), then took them to the airport and greeted all the pax personally, which I believe if you are on one of the exec charters Scot does for football teams, major businesses, etc Merlyn still does.

leonbrumsack
13th May 2005, 11:32
It spends most the day sitting on a remote stand.
Doesn't seem like the best solution. :confused:

which I believe if you are on one of the exec charters Scot does for football teams, major businesses, etc Merlyn still does.
Affirmative...

MOR
13th May 2005, 13:58
They are using G-ZAPO, they have put a small Scot Airways logo on the side.

Same aircraft and same timetable that flybe used.

There used to be some major bust-ups between flybe and SY ops departments when flybe were late back to EDI, or nicked the aircraft for a rescue mission. The aircraft does a mail run for Titan in the evenings.

It is also a freighter with a freight door, and the trim and seats around the freight door are pretty doggy - lots of spilt hydraulic fluid from the dodgy door rams.

Heard a lot of stories about that aircraft from the flybe EDI engineers... they hated it, especially re-roling it at night and in the morning after the mail run...