PDA

View Full Version : Gaza airport update

newscaster
1st May 2005, 14:29
The airport has been renamed Yassar Arafat International Airport and may reopen after Israeli withdrawl from gaza this summer.

airmemphis
1st May 2005, 22:10
Well Palestinian Airline and Egyptair who currently fly their Gaza flights from Al-Arish Airport (just across the Palestinian border in Egypt) will both transfer their flights back to Gaza.

I hope the Palestinians all the success

fractional
1st May 2005, 23:02
I think Gaza's Yasser Arafat International Airport will be strategic to the QR and EY expansion plans... Oooops! Shouldn't have said that.
All the best to the Palestinians once for all. They deserve a LIFE of their own.

CEDARJET.COM
2nd May 2005, 15:08
Dear NewsCaster

This great news for all the Palestinian people not only those working in the industry but for those living outside Palestine, My Question being with over 300.000 Palestinians within Lebanon, will the goverment of Isreal allow an aircraft from Lebanon to Fly over its Land so that relatives within Lebanon can fly directly into Gaza, Or would it be that an Aircraft will take off from Beirut into Larnaca and then fly into Gaza, I only Ask this question as I have many Palestinian Friends in Lebanon that would love the chance to Fly direct into gaza instead of the current trouble they go through to go into palestine, I hope that you or other members of this great forum are able to give more information with regards to this question.

Many thanks..
CEDARJET.COM

airmemphis
2nd May 2005, 15:56
CEDARJET.COM, they will probably by-pass Israeli airspace. If you check MEA's flights between BEY and AMM you will notice the detour taken to avoid Israel. Besides Israel does not allow aircraft originating and ending in an Arab country to overfly it. Even Egypt and Jordan who have peace deals with Israel have to re-route their CAI-AMM flights to avoid Israel.

CEDARJET.COM
2nd May 2005, 23:18
Many thanks Airmenphis, Very much appreicate your clarification, so if I understand you correctly a plane leaving Beirut Via Larnaca into Gaza is not a far fetched idea for the near Future which can only mean more revenue for Gaza and Palestine as a Whole, Good luck to all involved and Many thanks again.

Regards
CEDARJET.COM

airmemphis
3rd May 2005, 21:12
No problem CEDARJET.COM

And yes a BEY-LCA-Gaza flight seems very reasonable, however I think the demand there is there to warrant a nonstop service and by pass a stop in LCA due to the large number of Palestinians in Lebanon.

Like I said in the previous post, Al-Arish Airport is currently used as the alternative to Gaza Airport. Even though the airport is located in Egypt it is only a few kms from The Palestinian (Gaza) border. Currently the only links are by Palestinian airline to Amman (and again that flight takes a detour to avoid occupied Palestine) and Egyptair operate a regular charter service to Cairo.

I hope Gaza re-opens soon. I remember before 2000, Palestinian Airline were planning to open new routes to Rome, Athens and Frankfurt but that never materialised. Hopefully Palestine will have a brighter and more fruitfull future.

newscaster
4th May 2005, 12:56
Whats Gaza's IATA code?

Some European airlines were also planning to start service to Gaza before it shut down.

airmemphis
4th May 2005, 15:31
newscaster,

Gaza International Airport - GZA

There is another much smaller airport with code ZDY.

As for European airlines, there were reports CY, AZ and AF wanted to fly there but unfortunately nothing happened.

Palestinian Airline flew to most Arab capitals and its route network was impressive to say the least considering the situation.