PDA

View Full Version : boarding pass?

montafon
1st May 2005, 11:16
I am not really all that knowledgeable about aviation and thus come seeking advice...
On a recent flight I was given a boarding pass having been a standby passenger and then checked in. I then cleared security, customs etc (indeed my passport was stamped "departed.")
Waiting in the departure lounge we were told that the flight had been delayed by 12hours due to weather and thus would be put up in a hotel-no complaints, hardly anyones fault!
On returning the next day I was not aloud to board the flight on the basis that I had been a stand by passenger te previous day.
This struck me as being strange, after all, as the flight was delayed not cancelled surely the original checkin should have stood, why did a passenger who missed checkin get a second chance etc
What is the legal status of a boarding pass-I was issued with one so should I not have been allowed to board a flight?

True Manxman
1st May 2005, 15:19
a standby boarding pass is issued to get you through to the gate merely as a way of saving time once check in closes and all figures are collated. It is possible you could have been turned away at the gate as no seats available.. Had there been seats available you would have been accepted at the gate and boarded immediatley, instead of having to go through the check in procedure at the last minute and rush to the gate. The following day they would already know if seats were available or not, and in your case obviously not, because they would collate figures from the previous day check in, therefore not issue you a boarding card because there was no point. A boarding card does not give any legal entitlement to board an aircraft, merely to enter an airside area as a passenger.

Hope this has cleared it up for you and you made it back eventually

TM
:ok:

montafon
2nd May 2005, 06:27
The issue is that I wasnt given a stanby boarding pass,. but was checked in fully ten minutes after checkin was due to close and 50 minutes before the flight was due to leave. Therefore given that the plane the next day had the same number of seats it seemed strange that I wasnt allowed on...
Might get a flight today, KTM is nice but I kind of want to go home!

True Manxman
2nd May 2005, 14:00
Sounds like somebody may have messed up at check in then.

TM

montafon
3rd May 2005, 03:08
I have now learnt that what happened was that the previous days confirmed passengers were put on the scheduled afternoon flight with an extra aircraft arrivng later, sadly that plane had fewer seats. Therefore all the western passengers (not including me-the only non-nepali standby from the day before) were put on the first flight whereas the Nepali were bumped down to the next flight. However with less seats I lost my place...it all seems very strange and as someone who has been living and working in Nepal and has a corresponding affection for Nepalese I wasnt overly delighted to see them being screwed over with a 4 hour delay.