PDA

View Full Version : BALPA membership

Tallbloke
1st May 2005, 09:23
After the tribunal regarding the female BA pilot being allowed to work part time in order to look after her children, I wonder how many wannabees are more likely (or less likely) to join BALPA?

Please note this is posted in the wannabees forum, where I assume most posters, like myself, have yet to gain employment and therefore have yet to seriously consider whether of not they will take up membership. I am assuming those already in employment have made up their minds and I am not looking to start a "union good, union bad". I wonder what other issues prospective members think BALPA should be pursuing?

DVR6K
1st May 2005, 09:33
Tallbloke,

Am also yet to gain employment, in fact, yet to gain anything more than a PPL, but BALPA is useful simply for the fact while you are training it's free and you get the Log through the post once a month which gives a nice insider view to the industry. When they ask for 1% of my salary I'll re-think! I'd still say to anyone go for it whilst training and then see what works for you once you're established somewhere.

African Drunk
2nd May 2005, 09:33
Even though I am not pro that case I do believe that we as a professional body do need representation and I think on the whole BALPA does try hard.

DVR6K
"When they ask for 1% of my salary I'll re-think!"

The fact is BALPA is helping you now for free. When you have a job you can put something back into the pot and help the industry and those who follow.

VFE
2nd May 2005, 16:20
but BALPA is useful simply for the fact while you are training it's free and you get the Log through the post once a month
I was a member up until they started charging trainee's to belong in about 2002. Have they reverted back to a free subscription now then?

VFE.

Number Cruncher
2nd May 2005, 16:26
Have they reverted back to a free subscription now then?

Affirm

ChocksAwayUK
2nd May 2005, 16:27
Yup, there's no charge for "trainee membership" - you just need a Class 1 Medical and a letter from your training organisation.

Tallbloke
2nd May 2005, 16:45
you just need a Class 1 Medical and a letter from your training organisation. How does that work for modular groundschool types?

Nereus
2nd May 2005, 17:03
Tallbloke, you'll need a letter stating your commencement & estimated finish of the CPL course from your provider.

ChocksAwayUK
2nd May 2005, 18:03
I think a letter from any one of your "training providers" should do the trick.

For example i'm distance learning with Bristol Groundschool and they had a standard letter that they put my name on. Interestingly, as well as detailing my course dates it gave details of money spent on training, accomodation, travel etc

DVR6K
3rd May 2005, 07:48
African Drunk,

"When you have a job you can put something back into the pot and help the industry and those who follow."

I quite agree, never said I wasn't going to pursue the membership but the freebie now is a great opportunity to decide whether I want to commit the finances or or go somewhere else come my airline job...

Tallbloke, have sent some details of a lady at BALPA who was very helpful with my application and should be able to tell you exactly what they need from your training organisation.

African Drunk
3rd May 2005, 08:54
DVR6K

Sorry re read my post wasn't meant to sound as grumpy.